Corban Borrie

Commercial approaches to the flow?

Hi commercial people,

It is not always well received when one is asked to show their cards. Then again hopefully this question is not a ‘trade secret’ as such but rather a quench of my curiosity for how you operate on larger scales.

I saw some of these helicopters dropping in pallets of either 1 x 4, 2 x 4 (8) or 3 x 4 (12) hives at a time, being dropped on certain Manuka sites around various stomping grounds. My observations were the depths of these were generally 2 broods and 2 supers. For transport purposes, all hive sizes were uniform in height.

Please can people correct me in these assumptions?

1)      2 x supers provide ample space for honey production in any chosen site.

2)      2 x broods are the preferred strength for the golden rod period.

3)      These colonies are configured so that no keeper will need to visit a site until after the honey flow has mostly completed.

4)      The honey flow is roughly a 6 week window, so any drops (either by helicopter or by truck) is generally completed before 1st December (ok starts earlier up north) and is recovered by the end of January or later.

5)      In terms of hive management, there is a risk/return of not being concerned with the swarming given the new season queen is likely to be introduced for each colony. All managed in spring (pre flow).

6)      Supers are generally recovered before the colonies (taken and replaced) with the idea colonies will be recovered later before the dearth in Autumn.

7)      Oxalic Acid treatments are not viable on a commercial scale. Therefore Synthetics are generally used for hive management year around.

Signed, curious newbie.

• Like 1

Comment 7)

Where did you get that info from ?

4 hours ago, Corban Borrie said:

Please can people correct me in these assumptions?

1)      2 x supers provide ample space for honey production in any chosen site.

2)      2 x broods are the preferred strength for the golden rod period.

extremely variable.

eg its quite common to run single brood boxes.

supers depends on what they think they will get. anything from 1 super to 5.

1 hour ago, M4tt said:

Comment 7)

Where did you get that info from ?

Be careful with this one,

loaded question.

• Agree 3

20 hours ago, Philbee said:

Be careful with this one,

loaded question.

Yup.

Then again, the local shops seems to sell commercial grade vaporisers for a hefty price. I just cannot fathom the 'Spray and walk away' method working here, given it needs more regular vapor treatments - compared to dropping in a few strips that get removed in over a month.. :35_thinking:

21 hours ago, tristan said:

extremely variable.

eg its quite common to run single brood boxes.

supers depends on what they think they will get. anything from 1 super to 5.

I have certainly learnt some bees produce at a more rapid rate than others. i.e.Cinderella's glass slipper doesn't fit your average bohemeth. 

It sounds like the variable rates you refer to means there needs to be some proximity for the honey grounds to be checking on these more regular than a drop and go via helecopter?

Point 3 if corrected may answer some of my assumptions down the list. i.e. if 2 supers are the starting point, then more will be added if necessary during the flow.

1 hour ago, Corban Borrie said:

Yup.

Then again, the local shops seems to sell commercial grade vaporisers for a hefty price. I just cannot fathom the 'Spray and walk away' method working here, given it needs more regular vapor treatments - compared to dropping in a few strips that get removed in over a month.. :35_thinking:

There's more than one way to skin (oxalate) a cat....

• Agree 1

It sounds like the variable rates you refer to means there needs to be some proximity for the honey grounds to be checking on these more regular than a drop and go via helecopter?

no idea what you mean.

ask 10 beeks a question and you will get 20 answers.

every location is different and hives are run differently. there is no one standard to go by.

4 hours ago, Corban Borrie said:

I have certainly learnt some bees produce at a more rapid rate than others. i.e.Cinderella's glass slipper doesn't fit your average bohemeth. 

Point 3 if corrected may answer some of my assumptions down the list. i.e. if 2 supers are the starting point, then more will be added if necessary during the flow.

Ah Corbin

Theres a bit on the internet about you,
Something of an achiever it appears.

Im not sure if you are aware of it but suspect you are, a fair amount of OA passes you weekly and should answer #7

1 hour ago, Philbee said:

Something of an achiever it appears.

Thats because he has a higher power helping him up the achievement ladder .

Its much harder for us non believing types who do it on their own .

• Haha 1

@Corban Borrie i would like to know if the change in the marriage laws has impacted on you in the manner you outlined in your 2011 submission to parliament? 

And if so how are you 'coping'? 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Corban what happens varies at each apiary. However the general thrust of what you said in post one is correct, kinda.

In balance I might add that Corbin's #7 assumption does have some merit in some Beekeeping circles

For example yesterday I got an email from a beek who Ive dealt with for a few years with Queens and got to know.
He is closely connected with a large Bay of Plenty operation that is a significant Packer/ Marketer/Beekeeping operation that experimented with OA/GL in cardboard early on (About the same time I started) 
This large outfit's experience with the cardboard system was so disappointing  that they dropped it and wont be going back, nor will they recommend that my Beek Mate use it on his 350 hives.
So in this context Cobin's assumption is on the Money

Edited by Philbee

Unfortunately the large operator's system wasn't subject to peer review as the Staple /cardboard system has been through this site, so their results / conclusions  can  only be regarded as opinions 

Edited by Philbee

@Philbee what will they do if varroa become generally resistant to synthetics.

Is there much resistance to conventional treatments overseas and how  do the big commercial beeks overseas manage when there is .

5 minutes ago, kaihoka said:

@Philbee what will they do if varroa become generally resistant to synthetics.

Is there much resistance to conventional treatments overseas and how  do the big commercial beeks overseas manage when there is .

Lol, Kaihoka you come up with some curly questions.
What will happen is there will be a forced integration of alternatives and this will stretch out the usable life of synthetic products.

I dont know exactly how overseas outfits manage their Varroa but it is clear that the Organic Acids are used extensively.

Ask @Alistair

Edited by Philbee
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, flash4cash said:

@Corban Borrie i would like to know if the change in the marriage laws has impacted on you in the manner you outlined in your 2011 submission to parliament? 

And if so how are you 'coping'? 

HI Flash4cash and others off topic,

I'm not sure of your intention here and won't join in some sneering reponse. I only trust you put greater effort into loving those around you, rather than tearing down those who might have a different world view than yours. Sincerely, Corban

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Alastair said:

Corban what happens varies at each apiary. However the general thrust of what you said in post one is correct, kinda.

Thanks Alastair - fortunately/unfortunately I have a mind that can cause paralysis by analysis, so if I was generally correct on many points it's nice to hear the kind of respones out there. Cheers.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Corban Borrie said:

I'm not sure of your intention here and won't join in some sneering reponse. I only trust you put greater effort into loving those around you, rather than tearing down those who might have a different world view than yours. Sincerely, Corban

I am not sure why you thought I was sneering .

I read you are a christian and I am often amazed at how much  committed christians can achieve and I do think it is to do with their faith .

And life is not so easy without that back up .

• Like 3

Totally agree. And that’s why giving others  the rights I have is something I believe in. Loving those around you is not achieved by blocking their rights.

• Agree 3

This thread may take the record for being off topic ?.

Whats not clear here, Corban , is what you are going to do with the answers to your questions . 

Alarm bells ring when someone new pops up asking industry sensitive questions .

Your comment 7, for example , insinuates the possibility that synthetics are routinely left in hives all year round 

So Id suggest that if you are indeed interested in keeping bees , start at the beginning and post sensible questions in the beginners area . 

That way you won’t leave yourself open to doubts as to your motives 

Cheers 

Matt ?

• Like 2

CBank, get over it.

I checked Corban out, he is a new beekeeper who loves his bees and wants to learn. He is here for that.

Leave your political prejudices behind, or if you can't, go attack him in some other forum, not this one.

Straight up.

Edited by Alastair
  • Agree 3

I was just interested with the benifit of hindsight has your viewed changed? Bill English voted against it and so did Simon Bridges, both have since repealed their organial opposition.   It not very often that you come across someone that feels so strongly about other peoples choices that they would make a submission to limit their freedom and human rights. 

• Like 4
  • Disagree 1