Honey storage requirements for sale to local market

I would like to sell honey locally.  I need an NP1  that needs to be verified.  What do I need to store honey for this local market?  I am not selling large volumes so would 2-3 fridges be suitable once honey has been extracted in my Kitchen after approval from council and packed into 500gm containers labelled correctly?  Or does the honey need to be stored below a certain temperature in a purpose built shed?  If so what temperature does the honey need to be stored at and what basic requirements does the shed require?

From what I understand I do not need an RPM  because I am not selling honey for export.  Thanks in advance for your answers.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'd grant myself an exemption if I had surplus honey.

Hi grasshopper, it is not easy to find a single document describing what a hobby beekeeper must comply with to sell or donate their own honey in NZ, the paragraph below shows any honey you sell must c

Very very true. It’s something that could be vastly improved. Not that having more honey on the market is what is needed, but it would presumably improve compliance and food safety. Things like (pre-C

Hi grasshopper, it is not easy to find a single document describing what a hobby beekeeper must comply with to sell or donate their own honey in NZ, the paragraph below shows any honey you sell must comply with the Animal Products Act 1999 and the Food Act 2014.

https://www.mpi.govt.nz/processing/honey-and-bee-products/honey-and-bee-product-processing/

"Beekeepers who don't sell or export their products 

If you are a hobbyist beekeeper who produces honey and other bee products for your own consumption, you don't need to operate under the Animal Products Act 1999 or the Food Act 2014. But to ensure that your honey is safe to eat, MPI recommends that you use one of the 5 options described in parts 2.3 – 2.7 of the standard for managing tutin contamination in honey.

See the food standard for tutin in honey [PDF, 115 KB]

Note that donating or bartering your honey is a form of trade. If you do either, you must comply with the relevant requirements."

The roadmap PDF near the bottom of the page under Resources from this link below is interesting but rather complex:

https://www.mpi.govt.nz/processing/honey-and-bee-products/honey-and-bee-product-processing/documents-for-honey-and-bee-products/

"Honey and bee products road map, May 2016 - guidance"

"A guide to New Zealand honey labelling"

There is an exemption process for low risk situations, has anyone sucessfully used this for honey?

https://www.mpi.govt.nz/food-safety/food-act-2014/overview/exemptions-from-plans-or-programmes/

All the supermarkets store packaged honey at room temperature, so why would you have to do more than that?

• Agree 1
  • Good Info 1
2 hours ago, Borage said:

Hi grasshopper, it is not easy to find a single document describing what a hobby beekeeper must comply with to sell or donate their own honey in NZ

Very very true. It’s something that could be vastly improved. Not that having more honey on the market is what is needed, but it would presumably improve compliance and food safety. Things like (pre-Christmas) cut comb would be lower risk again.

• Agree 1
On 23/11/2018 at 10:34 PM, grasshoppper said:

I would like to sell honey locally.  I need an NP1  that needs to be verified.  What do I need to store honey for this local market?  I am not selling large volumes so would 2-3 fridges be suitable once honey has been extracted in my Kitchen after approval from council and packed into 500gm containers labelled correctly?  Or does the honey need to be stored below a certain temperature in a purpose built shed?  If so what temperature does the honey need to be stored at and what basic requirements does the shed require?

From what I understand I do not need an RPM  because I am not selling honey for export.  Thanks in advance for your answers.

im under FCP. no temp control needed,  just had to be sensible... clean, vermin proof, not subject to big temp variations. To be honest that was probably the easiest part of the verification

• Thanks 1

Hi @lexy, I’d love to know more about your FCP. I’m trying to find the simplest way to sell small quantities of honey, but so far can only see that I need an NP1. 

Also, and I don’t want to get you in trouble, when  I follow the FCP directions onMPI it says I still require an NP1. Is this the case with you?

• Thanks 1
On 23/11/2018 at 10:34 PM, grasshoppper said:
1 hour ago, CHCHPaul said:

Hi @lexy, I’d love to know more about your FCP. I’m trying to find the simplest way to sell small quantities of honey, but so far can only see that I need an NP1. 

Also, and I don’t want to get you in trouble, when  I follow the FCP directions onMPI it says I still require an NP1. Is this the case with you?

whoops sorry, I double checked with my wife yes its NP1. Just how hard it is depends on your local council.... we got it it was quite soon after the new food act came in and councils weren't up to speed so it took a very long and painful time to arrange.

As for the certification itself, a lot of it is common sense but its not something to take lightly - you need to read and understand that whole NP1 document and in particular take note of the 'what do you need to show' sections because you may have to demonstrate compliance and understanding.

another thing you might want to think of is how youre going to homogenize your honey for tutin testing...

• Thanks 1