Azariah

Honey extractors / North island

Are there any extraction plants who are able to put the same frames back in the box they came from? 

My current plant mixes the frames up due To  the extracting system I'm guessing? 

I would prefer not to have to mark each frame. 

Would drive up to 3-4 hrs out of Auckland. 

Surely they all would be if you paid them enough

• Agree 1

Easier for some plants I'm guessing. Different systems. My guy wasn't too keen. 

Field harvesting with Revolutionary Beekeeping harvesters.   It is done on site and the frames go back into the same hive on the field.  I have their field harvesters to sell.  They were great when we had less hives.

• Agree 1

22 minutes ago, fieldbee said:

Field harvesting with Revolutionary Beekeeping harvesters.   It is done on site and the frames go back into the same hive on the field.  I have their field harvesters to sell.  They were great when we had less hives.

Its the thought of having to build up all that comb again that has put me off using one of these...or is there something/s that I have overlooked when it comes to using the harvester.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Phil46 said:

Its the thought of having to build up all that comb again that has put me off using one of these

Why couldn't you leave the bees  to do it ?

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Azariah said:

Are there any extraction plants who are able to put the same frames back in the box they came from? 

My current plant mixes the frames up due To  the extracting system I'm guessing? 

I would prefer not to have to mark each frame. 

Would drive up to 3-4 hrs out of Auckland. 

I also bought this up a few weeks back with my Auckland based extractor, they can't do boxes either, but will do per site.  With a little bit of organisation I'm sure they could do boxes though......

4 minutes ago, Phil46 said:

Its the thought of having to build up all that comb again that has put me off using one of these...or is there something/s that I have overlooked when it comes to using the harvester.

Hi @Phil46, when your operation is smaller it is a cheaper way to do your own harvesting, we also found our hives were much healthier making new comb.  It worked well for us when smaller.

35 minutes ago, fieldbee said:

36 minutes ago, fieldbee said:

I think I have a few to many hives for the Field harvester. What do bees think of field harvest in robbing season? 

13 minutes ago, CraBee said:

I also bought this up a few weeks back with my Auckland based extractor, they can't do boxes either, but will do per site.  With a little bit of organisation I'm sure they could do boxes though......

There is someone in Auckland extracting? 

13 minutes ago, Azariah said:

There is someone in Auckland extracting? 

Waitemata Honey.

You could also try Lion Apiaries/Dals Pollination/Dallas Russ.

Edited by CraBee

Hi Azariah,
Talk to Julia at Ibbees Honey. They’re based in Silverdale North Auckland. They maybe able to help.
www.Ibbees.co.nz 

1 hour ago, yesbut said:

Surely they all would be if you paid them enough

i doubt any of the commercial  plants that i've been in would be able to do it.

you need a very very slick system to do it.

most of the ones that i've heard of that do it all use marked frames etc.

27 minutes ago, Queenbee11 said:

co

16 minutes ago, tristan said:

i doubt any of the commercial  plants that i've been in would be able to do it.

you need a very very slick system to do it.

most of the ones that i've heard of that do it all use marked frames etc.

What's the best way to mark frames? I know smaller extractors who can do individual boxes but that's done into Pails. This might be harder than I thought. 

49 minutes ago, CraBee said:

Waitemata Honey.

You could also try Lion Apiaries/Dals Pollination/Dallas Russ.

Will give Dal a call tomorrow 

We always systematically load our extractor from one starting point which means that the frames go back in their own boxes. The only time the system falls over is when extracting Hoffman frames where some boxes have 8 fms some 9 and some 10. If we are onto it we can accommodate this buy how we place the empty boxes in the box rack.

Not looking for more work sorry.

20 hours ago, Azariah said:

What's the best way to mark frames? I know smaller extractors who can do individual boxes but that's done into Pails. This might be harder than I thought. 

no idea on best way to mark frames.

what sort of extraction volume are you talking about?

small scale is far easier to manage. 

21 hours ago, Azariah said:

If your using wooden frames an ordinary vivid marker works just fine and last for years

For black plastic frames I use either posca pens or....

CRC paint marker pens ( silver is best )

Different colours help denote one hive or apiary from another.

• Good Info 1

22 hours ago, Azariah said:

Mark your code on the top bar  With your favourite coloured queen marking pen, lasts for years.. mark your box on both ends the same code.. any stuff ups at extraction You simply swap them into the correct boxes. 

• Good Info 1

2 hours ago, tristan said:

200 boxes/day

42 minutes ago, Jamo said:

200 boxes/day

you still have the same setup?

that was 200 with 8 frames per box ?

if i recall right yours is about the smallest commercial setup. its a lot easier to do it at that size.

but go up a step to multiple prickers, multiple extractors, more staff etc and you have no show of keeping things in order without some form of ID tags.

17 hours ago, tristan said:

Probably between 100-200 boxes

7 minutes ago, Azariah said:

Probably between 100-200 boxes

small commercial might do it.

the other way which is common for dealing with AFB sites, which is the only reason people mark the frames etc, is to do it per site.

you can easily do separate pallets and do small runs, and keep the boxes from each site separated. you would also need to inform them of the AFB.

15 hours ago, tristan said:

you still have the same setup?

that was 200 with 8 frames per box ?

if i recall right yours is about the smallest commercial setup. its a lot easier to do it at that size.

but go up a step to multiple prickers, multiple extractors, more staff etc and you have no show of keeping things in order without some form of ID tags.

Yes mostly the same,  winter wasn't long enough to get many changes done.

,If boxes are all 8 fm we can get close to 250 . Yes it is a smaller plant but we still get through the honey from 2500-3000 hives and maybe pasturize another 50 drums while still finding the time to run our own 500. I am happy to leave the plants with multiple extractors, prickers, and problems to the big boys. ?