CHCHPaul

Question Two Queen raising Questions

Question

1. Do the attendants in a queen cage feed the queen using the candy or just what they have 'on board'? (in other words will they feed her regardless of immediate access to food?)

2. Should I move some of my mating nucs to different areas (my apiaries in different locations) to access a wider variety of drones/jeans, rather than just mating my queens at/from home (naturally)?

Cheers

2 answers to this question

The queen is fed by the nurse bees and the nurse bees get their sustenance from the candy. 

The nurse bees can feed the queen if there’s no candy but not for very long.

I don’t know where you live but I would think you will have more than enough drones from other peoples hives around your place to not worry about having to move for mating 

1 hour ago, frazzledfozzle said:

The queen is fed by the nurse bees and the nurse bees get their sustenance from the candy. 

The nurse bees can feed the queen if there’s no candy but not for very long.

I don’t know where you live but I would think you will have more than enough drones from other peoples hives around your place to not worry about having to move for mating 

Thanks. Yes, a number of hives round here, but I live in a valley and was really wondering how worthwhile it is mating with a larger pool of genetics.