Dee Lusby's Bees

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Browsing some old history on Beesource and found this post by a guy who goes by the name of BeeWrangler, talking about a visit he had with Dee Lusby. It really is pretty funny so have decided to re pr

I had the Hawke's Bay bee club come for a visit today and we had a look through half a dozen hives with most people including me not bothering with a veil despite the day not being perfect. Don't thin

To me followers of Dee Lusby are similar to anti Vaxers 

6 minutes ago, Beefriendly said:

Good read @Alastair .. enough to put you off beeking if you didn’t know better 

I visited Dee in 2012 and her bees were not africanised as far as i can tell or I would not be here today.Ok they are hot but no hotter than the AMM hybrids we used to have pr varroa.Dee sent her bees away to Rutner to be identified and it came back Caucasian not Africanised bees.Ok she cannot sell her outfit to any other state as the USDA have classed Arizona an Afrianised Bee State

One characteristic thing for the Africanized bees is that you can do some casual work and bees wandering around you for hours, but as soon as you get stung, in less than 5 seconds there will be another 5 stings on the same spot. A lot of fun 

The quickest test for africanization is that the stinger is active after 24 hours of the death of the bee.

19 minutes ago, Scutellator said:

One characteristic thing for the Africanized bees is that you can do some casual work and bees wandering around you for hours, but as soon as you get stung, in less than 5 seconds there will be another 5 stings on the same spot. A lot of fun 

The quickest test for africanization is that the stinger is active after 24 hours of the death of the bee.

Sheesh, then I have africanized bees.. Once they hit a jackpot, they continue to hit it again and again and..

6 hours ago, Goran said:

Sheesh, then I have africanized bees.. Once they hit a jackpot, they continue to hit it again and again and..

When ever I get stung I quickly spray air freshner on the sting .

It masks the warning smell that goes with the sting so the rest do not attack .

1 hour ago, kaihoka said:

When ever I get stung I quickly spray air freshner on the sting .

It masks the warning smell that goes with the sting so the rest do not attack .

At the beginning of my beekeeping I was at the apiary of my mentor ( I think it was first work for me into the real hive, don't take me by every word.. but), I had one gloves which were not giving enough protection.. We were working one hive at the end of a row and that was really colony from hell ( I think mentor purportedly took me to this one). When one strike at the weak spot on a glove about 20 others on my unfortune followed the example.. My hand was as boxing glove.. Nowadays I don't have such reaction to a sting, but still dislike to get stung. It distracts me from my work, instead of thinking what I am doing I would think when will next sting me.. So I get good protection to don't think a second about calm/angry bees just about I have to do with opened hive.. From time to time some of colonies get really nasty ( like a swarm on a veil), they do die in hundreds and I don't care and with first opportunity that queen is history.. No matter of general thinking that carnies are all calm.. But there is happening some illegal import of other bee strains which may help such nastiness. Next year will be done gene research of samples taken this season and will be interesting to see how pure our bees are.. They have done morphometric analysis and by that we are " pure"..

Edited by Goran
  • Like 1
26 minutes ago, Alastair said:

That is interesting Goran, please let us know what the study finds.

Pure Carniolan are indeed very calm, a beautiful bee to work. But if they have some AMM in the mix, which is also a black bee so hard to detect, they can be super aggressive.

I think the most of imports are related to A.m. ligustica and as new " fashion" buckfast... To me it is done by illiterate people no matter do they have phD, Dr. or whatever diploma.. Ligustica and buckfast in our conditions is risky for overwintering and I should have tons of sugar in stores to keep them alive. We don't have continuous flows as stationary, in fact I have 2 flows which I can extract ( and third totally lottery - lime/honeydew). So the rest of the season such big colonies would " eat me alive". Our carnies are rational with stores.. We also have a brood break which is God giving gift to combat varroa ( let's say it last 2-4 months usually) and due to that we don't know what is acarapis woodi..

I don't say that for your conditions are better carnies which honestly I don't know ( I would have to spend few seasons at your place to get the picture), just I am saying not for my place..

With uncontrolled imports we will bring unknown into our " routine"..

Edited by Goran

@Goran Carniolans did not work for me .

Italians are ok , I have a winter flow .

I liked the idea of a ruthless queen ripping apart all her competition and swarming reduced.

However that would really never happen because it would interfere to much with the bees natural process of survival through swarming .

• Like 1
  • 10 months later...

Considering Dee Lusby has been a successful commercial beekeeper for over 60 years in a harsh environment and is a successful Author on Beekeeping and Highly respected by many thousands of Beekeepers. Those who do not think she may have something to say that is worth listening too are far worse than "Flat Earthers "

• Haha 3
2 hours ago, Trevor Gillbanks said:

I love her "non africanised" bees.  

Towards the end of the video the bees even killed the camera.  Lovely bees.

Yeah Right

And her screeching in the background to her followers put the frames in the box ! Put the frames in the box !

The poor guy was that intimidated by her and the bees he didn't kno which way was up  :)

1 hour ago, frazzledfozzle said:

And her screeching in the background to her followers put the frames in the box ! Put the frames in the box !

The poor guy was that intimidated by her and the bees he didn't know which way was up  :)

Yes.  Jolly hilarious (unless you were there and being attacked)

And to be chased 2 kms down the rode.  Beggar that.

• Agree 1
On 3/10/2019 at 10:05 PM, DavyK said:

Considering Dee Lusby has been a successful commercial beekeeper for over 60 years in a harsh environment and is a successful Author on Beekeeping and Highly respected by many thousands of Beekeepers. Those who do not think she may have something to say that is worth listening too are far worse than "Flat Earthers "

On the contrary, those who think that Dees bees are the way to beekeep are the flat earthers, 

• Agree 1

I'll say one thing, her bees are tough. Kill anything, mites included. Also best I can tell (and i have read Dees writings extensively), nowadays her bees get almost no attention other than having honey taken once a year, if there is any. But they survive, and any that do die are re populated by swarms.

Her bees also practise thelytoky, the exact breed has never been identified but a number of African strains practise thelytoky.

When the honey flows in that area there can be strong flow, it could be that normal European honeybees might also do well there, although I suspect they would likely require more management.

Should add, what is normally referred to as africanised bees, are bees of the scutelata strain or part scutelata. But Scutelata do not practise thelytoky so we know that Dees bees are not that or at least not much, they are something else. Because the exact strain has never been officially identified, and does not appear to exist anywhere else in the US, they have got the nickname "Lusbees". 

Nobody knows how they got to the US, it is theorised there was an illegal importation at some point, but nobody knows, or if they do, they are not telling. Dee has been banned from selling bees to other areas, govt does not want these bees taking hold. It may also be that they could not survive in different climate and areas of the US.

Also, in the US where you can be sued huge bucks for just about anything, owning such bees in an area where there are people would be a high risk.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Capensis are not the only African bees to show thelytoky. There was a discussion on Beesource a few years back about just what the "lusbees" might be, and some knowledgeable scientific types weighed in. Capensis was certainly brought up as a likely candidate but another guy felt that capensis are too area and flora specific, they are contained in a narrow area in Africa and died out when a commercial operation using them tried moving them. 

Another breed ended up being the most likely candidate, unfortunately I cannot remember the name but they were from northern Africa, and show similar traits to the Lusbees.

• Good Info 1