Deon

Ceraform bee boxes

Has anyone tried the ceraform bee boxes or have any opinion on them?

never seen them.

PVC is an interesting choice of material. insulation is no better than wood (afaik). no water absorption like wood does.

strength is a complete unknown, especially after sitting out in the weather for years. PVC tends to go brittle with age.

4 hours ago, tristan said:

never seen them.

PVC is an interesting choice of material. insulation is no better than wood (afaik). no water absorption like wood does.

strength is a complete unknown, especially after sitting out in the weather for years. PVC tends to go brittle with age.

And has toxic smoke when it burns .

• Agree 2

Not sure wether to try a couple of them or go with paradise boxes.

Tempted to give the paradise boxes a go, anyone know if the paradise boxes fit on the hive doctor bases?

4 hours ago, Deon said:

Tempted to give the paradise boxes a go, anyone know if the paradise boxes fit on the hive doctor bases?

My question would be why , or rather why not standard wooden boxes?

If you were in Naseby or Finland I could see the reasoning, but don’t see the need in Whangarei.

1 minute ago, DeeGeeBee said:

If you were in Naseby or Finland I could see the reasoning, but don’t see the need in Whangarei.

You should know by now there's no holding back a good keen hobbyist !

• Agree 2
  • Haha 3

6 hours ago, Deon said:

No.  They do not fit on HD bases.  The inside measurement is the same but the sides are 40mm thick.  A fair bit of overhang.

• Agree 1
  • Good Info 1

On 11/11/2018 at 2:10 PM, Deon said:

No they will not 

• Good Info 1

On 11/11/2018 at 6:46 PM, DeeGeeBee said:

My question would be why , or rather why not standard wooden boxes?

So true... but only a few hobby hives so can experiment a bit, I reckon insulation can only be a good thing even in warm climates as bees won’t need to spend as much time regulating hive temp.

Ive got some  technosetbee plastic hives but not really liking how they hold water.

hobby doesn’t seem to stop growing tho. Seem to be always spending on new gear. Was only supposed to have a couple, then comes a couple of splits etc now pushing on 8. They’re like weeds hives seem to keep sprouting.

24 minutes ago, Deon said:

Ive got some  technosetbee plastic hives but not really liking how they hold water.

Yep.  That is why I don't rate them.  I see a lot of them when I am doing inspections.  I believe they all perform poorly.

However, I love polystyrene hives.

• Like 1

I worked my paradise hives today. Bees seem to do well in it but I find the boxes quite awkward to get apart. For the life of me I can't see what's wrong with wood .

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, john berry said:

For the life of me I can't see what's wrong with wood .

I think as long as we have to burn hives with AFB its ridiculous to spend money or time on anything else.

wood is the most environmentally friendly to dispose of .

Thanks @Trevor Gillbanks I'm thinking I will give the paradise hiveware a try,  @kaihokaI'm probably somewhat naive in my optimism that being a small self contained hobbyist I am at low risk of AFB. ( paranoid optimistic... every time a find anything my first thought/fear is AFB)

@john berry true there ain nothing wrong with wood, been used by many for a long time, have had thoughts also of sourcing some quality woodware with dovetail joints and clear varnishing...  actually I think maybe I already spend too much time looking at and in my hives.

• Like 1

On 10/11/2018 at 9:58 AM, Deon said:

Has anyone tried the ceraform bee boxes or have any opinion on them?

Hi Deon, I hope you don't mind me commenting on your post. But i am Hayden Gleeson from Ceraform Bee Boxes and just found your post relating to our boxes. I realize this was in Nov last year but if you are keen to have a look at one of our boxes i will happily courier you one as a trial box.

Our boxes are made from a 100% lead/metal free eco composite U-PVC boarding, our boarding is the only PVC boarding that is guaranteed to be metal free and we have the verified reports to prove this. Most PVC made around the world is very weak low density signage board that claims to be lead free but the test reports are fake on the cheaper rip-off boarding.

Our boxes are also 2-3 degrees warmer than a painted and dipped wooden box, and they fit the Hive Doctor bases perfectly.

The boarding has been used all over the world for the last 30 years as a external trim or cladding material, it is HIGHLY UV stable and will never get brittle, warp, buckle or ever move from extreme cold or hot climates.

Trevor Gillbanks recently tested these and was happy enough to write me a quick report on his findings, ill attach it for your reference along with our brochure

Cheers Hayden, and if you want a free trial box please message me from our FB page @ Ceraform 100% Waterproof Bee Box NZ  or email me at sales@ceraform.nz 

Trevs Bees.docx Bee Boxes Brochure 2019 WEB.pdf

18 hours ago, Hayden Gleeson said:

Hi Deon, I hope you don't mind me commenting on your post. But i am Hayden Gleeson from Ceraform Bee Boxes and just found your post relating to our boxes. I realize this was in Nov last year but if you are keen to have a look at one of our boxes i will happily courier you one as a trial box.

Our boxes are made from a 100% lead/metal free eco composite U-PVC boarding, our boarding is the only PVC boarding that is guaranteed to be metal free and we have the verified reports to prove this. Most PVC made around the world is very weak low density signage board that claims to be lead free but the test reports are fake on the cheaper rip-off boarding.

Our boxes are also 2-3 degrees warmer than a painted and dipped wooden box, and they fit the Hive Doctor bases perfectly.

The boarding has been used all over the world for the last 30 years as a external trim or cladding material, it is HIGHLY UV stable and will never get brittle, warp, buckle or ever move from extreme cold or hot climates.

Trevor Gillbanks recently tested these and was happy enough to write me a quick report on his findings, ill attach it for your reference along with our brochure

Cheers Hayden, and if you want a free trial box please message me from our FB page @ Ceraform 100% Waterproof Bee Box NZ  or email me at sales@ceraform.nz 

Trevs Bees.docx 14.94 kB · 9 downloads Bee Boxes Brochure 2019 WEB.pdf 908.08 kB · 4 downloads

can they be painted i like painted boxes ?  also if i get full depths now and decide to go 3/4 can i cut them down to 3/4 with out stuffing them ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kevin moore said:

can they be painted i like painted boxes ?  also if i get full depths now and decide to go 3/4 can i cut them down to 3/4 with out stuffing them ?

Yes, they can be painted.  Yes you can cut them down on a standard saw bench.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Trevor Gillbanks said:

Yes, they can be painted.  Yes you can cut them down on a standard saw bench.

Thanks for your comment Trevor. And yes as our Ceraform boarding is 100% waterproof right through to the core these can easily be cut down and the benefits of these boxes still remain.

And yes we have been manufacturing bathroom vanities from this same material for over 15 years, and these have always been a semi-gloss paint finish. the boarding is a very smooth extruded finish so it needs a quick scuff up before painting. Thanks Hayden

• Like 1

PVC isn’t exactly a smart choice. Barely recyclable, degrades over decades

to smaller and smaller particles for ingestion. And releases nasty toxins when burnt. 

Im sure there is a lot of “hype and false news” online, but we should be steering away from these products. IMHO. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Josh said:

PVC isn’t exactly a smart choice. Barely recyclable, degrades over decades

to smaller and smaller particles for ingestion. And releases nasty toxins when burnt. 

Im sure there is a lot of “hype and false news” online, but we should be steering away from these products. IMHO. 

Hi Josh, Our boxes are not manufactured from PVC as in spouting or down pipes, its a completely different composite material that is as eco-friendly as it can be and is 100% lead/metal free.

I don't know what polystyrene is actually manufactured from but i imagine that doesn't burn well either. Our Ceraform boarding burns well and doesn't release any nasty toxins as it doesn't contain any.

And Parrafin wax is a Petroleum based product so what comes off a wooden box that's Parrafin dipped and painted when its burnt.? I've seen plumes of  smoke coming off burning wooden boxes.

But i fully understand what you are saying and i understand why you might choose to use wooden boxes, we all like wood in its different forms. But we also cut down many trees in this country which impacts the environment so that also needs to be considered. 

Thanks Hayden

• Like 1