Diane

Manky old gear on Trademe

Does anyone know if the rules surrounding selling on trademe are under review? I have put a few suggestions to them before re splitting sales into topics, hive ware, bees, etc but no changes. I would like to see some regulations regarding second hand hive equipment and bees from properties that have a recent history if AFB. I have bought bees on trademe, and on arrival to the sellers property been told by them that they are legally not suppose to sell due to recent AFB history !.  Any ideas who is the best group to approach regarding this ? Trademe? Apiculture NZ

What was it that caused the requirement to list registration number? I took it to be the negative press, but maybe there was more to it, like regulatory pressure?

Legal Minefield 

Best approach is to educate buyers, possibly comparing second hand gear to the use of second hand bandages

Some of them will do the job but most would cause untold grief.

• Agree 1

On ‎7‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 8:24 PM, Diane said:

Does anyone know if the rules surrounding selling on trademe are under review? I have put a few suggestions to them before re splitting sales into topics, hive ware, bees, etc but no changes.

It's all very well Trademe making rules on the selling of products, but I'm a bit concerned at how well Trademe monitor their own current rules when it comes to people selling items.

Example: My father passed away a couple of months ago, so I now have the mission of dealing with his house. He had a lot of gin traps in one of his sheds, from his possoming days, when gin traps were legal. I thought that I would look into selling them on Trademe, as craft people are now taking them to bits and making all sorts of crafty things out of them. 

On Trademe, someone was selling gin traps for $10 each - I thought, wow, but then I looked at Trademe's rules on selling gin traps - the rules states that gin traps couldn't be sold on their site. So, I emailed Trademe and told them my plans and enquired if they had changed the rules, but no, apparently they don't monitor things as well as they should.

So if gins traps can get through, there is nothing to say that dodgy beekeepers can't sell their stuff through the site either.

• Sad 4

Maybe best to keep asking the AFB history question when second hand hiveware comes up.