Lincoln Farmer

Canterbury TBH bee keeper wanted

Thanks for the history lesson. it is interesting, and yes I will end up with a variaty of different hives by the looks of it. 

On 7/11/2018 at 10:12 AM, Lincoln Farmer said:

I am a farmer with 125 hectares in Greenpark 5min from Lincoln looking for a top bar hive beekeeper who would like to have hives on the farm as an investment. I am interested in buying all honey and preferably honey comb. I can provide at least 2 tbh hives and could build more, land, processing shed, can buy all honey produced.

couple of things to keep in kind.

processing honey for sale costs a bit. for small scale its probably going to cost more for the red tape than what you get for the product. 

keep in mind the recent prosecution of a beek doing illegal processing.

the other is the irony of commercially selling honey from a hive design thats meant to be the opposite of commercial. how long until someone mentions that on FB etc and it does the rounds.

people have already mentioned the truth of TBH's. i have no idea why people look at them and do not consider the warre hive.

the warre is the right orientation, its expandable and much better size. 

2 minutes ago, tristan said:

keep in mind the recent prosecution of a beek doing illegal processing.

Is this in the press somewhere ?

51 minutes ago, yesbut said:

Is this in the press somewhere ?

https://www.stuff.co.nz/auckland/108317789/Auckland-businessman-stung-26-000-for-making-false-honey-claims

"The Ministry of Primary Industries (MPI) found Jonathan Towers had made prohibited claims about honey and sold it as high-value mānuka honey between March 2016 and December 2017............. .........MPI north investigations manager Simon Anderson said Towers operated his business in such a manner that he avoided the normal regulatory controls relating to record-keeping and traceability...............Towers also failed to operate under a risk management programme to ensure food safety and made prohibited therapeutic claims, Anderson said."

• Thanks 1

Don't have a reference, but there was also a case maybe a year ago, of a small scale beekeeper selling honey in a market here in Auckland. None of the red tape had been followed, but the honey had been tested for tutin, so they let him off with a warning.

• Thanks 1