Trevor Gillbanks

November 2018 Apiary Diary

17 hours ago, M4tt said:

My 2 queen 2 swarm hive, both separated by a QE, is faring substantially better as a V twin unit than they were each limping along on one cylinder 

Nearly two boxes drawn and both queens laying flat out 

was there a fishing rod in the cab on the passenger site ?( the main reason why i won't have employees)

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Trevor Gillbanks said:

That is how I do it also.  Pretty well never fails.

I I have learnt from the best @Trevor Gillbanks ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Beefriendly said:

@cBank, I merged x2 colonies last summer. (I wanted a new queen)

queen right hive, newspaper, queen excluder queenless colony. I checked them after a week. The bees had chewed through the newspaper and made friends. 

My queen excluders have a bee escape opening,  which the bees above the excluder  can use. 

This worked well for me. 

Today I checked one colony which about a week ago I merged as same but without QE, previously this autumn also one again without QE. It was advised in school and later by my mentor. I implemented it such and works. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, tom sayn said:

was there a fishing rod in the cab on the passenger site ?( the main reason why i won't have employees)

I only caught a glimpse of your ute with blue boxes on it . We then called in to see the knife man . Wow he is an artist 

2 minutes ago, Goran said:

Today I checked one colony which about a week ago I merged as same but without QE, previously this autumn also one again without QE. It was advised in school and later by my mentor. I implemented it such and works. 

It is currently spring in NZ. Hives are building and the queen bee should be at optimum laying. My understanding of using the QE is to keep her in the lower box, while the merged box of bees adjust. The bees ‘make friends’ and accept the pheromones of the Queen right hive. Once they have chewed through the paper, harmony established and the queen can then have free reign, once the QE is removed. ?

Practical Beekeeping in NZ suggests putting the queenright half up top and I did that. That said, there are a couple of ways to skin a cat and there are some good tips here.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, M4tt said:

I only caught a glimpse of your ute with blue boxes on it . We then called in to see the knife man . Wow he is an artist 

Knife man? Sounds interesting... an artist?

Just now, cBank said:

Practical Beekeeping in NZ suggests putting the queenright half up top and I did that. That said, there are a couple of ways to skin a cat and there are some good tips here.

The difference, other than the obvious ( Queen right hive on top) is the QE with the bee escape access. 

And as as an aside... I had a  momentary rethink over the colour coding for queens after noting the table in Pract Beek NZ... then realised I was taught the season rather than the actual year.. as in our current season straddles the 18/19 season. Using this means my Red marked queens are the 17/18 marking.

1 minute ago, Beefriendly said:

The difference, other than the obvious ( Queen right hive on top) is the QE with the bee escape access. 

Yes - wishing I’d done that!

1 minute ago, Beefriendly said:

And as as an aside... I had a  momentary rethink over the colour coding for queens after noting the table in Pract Beek NZ... then realised I was taught the season rather than the actual year.. as in our current season straddles the 18/19 season. Using this means my Red marked queens are the 17/18 marking.

Its a system that isn’t ideally suited to the Southern Hemisphere!

• Agree 1

20 minutes ago, Beefriendly said:

It is currently spring in NZ. Hives are building and the queen bee should be at optimum laying. My understanding of using the QE is to keep her in the lower box, while the merged box of bees adjust. The bees ‘make friends’ and accept the pheromones of the Queen right hive. Once they have chewed through the paper, harmony established and the queen can then have free reign, once the QE is removed. ?

Don't worry, queen won't be the first to explore new teritory, before that accepting period should be finished. If the queen is lost is by my opinion by bees from above which entered lower box where is queen. Without QE bees from above are forced to unite or die trying to pass. With QE, they have options which I don't want them to give, or more longer will last unification. 

Forgot these two I united I found later queens in lower box..

Edited by Goran
adding some text

6 minutes ago, cBank said:

Its a system that isn’t ideally suited to the Southern Hemisphere!

However it’s the international standard... You have to remember the season, you’re in. ?, although spring and autumn queens are also referred too..

I united a hive with queen hive on top .

But there was a 3/4 super between .

Not ideal but should be ok .

I maybe should have cleared the super of bees the day before and taken it off .

On 2/11/2018 at 9:53 PM, Beefriendly said:

Interesting day...

I have a hive that was supposed to go to a new beek tomorrow. The hive was checked on Tuesday 30/10, eggs, larvae, capped brood, stores, no AFB, Queen right. All looked good. 

So, being a nosey beek... thought I’d have a ‘quick peek’ in this avo

Off with the lid, lots of girls fanning, bums up in the air, ditzie, erratic behaviour. Hmm.Better check for her majesty. She’s a red dot, black girl, from Nov 2017 split, usually easily spotted.

On a thorough check through the frames, she wasn’t to be seen. No fresh eggs...On frame 7 there is a fine specimen of a hatched Queen cell. Obviously one I missed.  

I’m 99.9% certain , they’ve superseded her. 

Those bees, it would seem had different ideas.

They’ll stay put for now.

An update on this hive...now renamed ‘the hive to go’ ( or not) seems they have different ideas...

7/11 quick check...dead drones noted on the landing board, a queen cell with an obvious tear in the side, x10 queen cells. Left 2 that seemed of similar age,  maybe a virgin queen?

10/11 couldn’t not peep ( nosey beek) qCells still in tact.Destroyed one...no eggs, still capped brood, bee numbers and activity is good...

Is there a virgin or newly mated queen? Time will tell.

The challenge is to leave the hive to it, at least until later this week. “Patience young grasshopper”

If I’m still not totally convinced then, I’ll add a frame of eggs from my current star hive...

Back up plan for the new Beeks is a Nuc, that has a good qCell currently. 

A beek needs something to keep them on their toes. 

On the plus side...it’s been a no swarm or anything looking like swarming zone to date. ?

• Like 1

On 10/11/2018 at 7:03 PM, M4tt said:

We caught a glimpse of @tom saynin his flash new Mahindra up on the Coromandel today ??

ups. that's the post i wanted to reply to.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, M4tt said:

yes, he made our wedding rings. used to have a couple of hives on his place but too much hard work. egocentric coromandel locals. i'm one of them now, so i know what i'm talking about. lol

• Like 1

Oh look....   lunch in da shade of da pone tree fiddling on the phone.... screen shot the photo from yesterday morning....it seems to work stoney

03C0E932-6C20-475F-AB6A-AA924C8C173C.jpeg

• Like 10

Sweet .... the first was no accident

here we are 101 nuc making.... two frames brood and frame of honey for next seasons replacements. 

9474D9F7-AA2C-40C5-8CBC-E9F2525A40F9.jpeg

• Like 6

Yep ... third tome lucky tooo.... bees ready to roll out to the motherload. Two boxes should keep them happy for a week or so

B80E0BD8-8B98-4D55-A2A4-C0E5391F3C3E.jpeg

• Like 9

Supered my last two sites this am before it rained.
10 QE short, oh well they can go bareback im over it.
A bloke phoned me about a swarm this pm and I just couldnt see the upside in it.

The Hives are overflowing with Bees and if I go scavenging I may find another 20 supers to use and thats it for me.
Ill make 30000 Staples then go fishing.

Edited by Philbee
  • Like 6

46 minutes ago, Philbee said:

Supered my last two sites this am before it rained.
10 QE short, oh well they can go bareback im over it.
A bloke phoned me about a swarm this pm and I just couldnt see the upside in it.

The Hives are overflowing with Bees and if I go scavenging I may find another 20 supers to use and thats it for me.
Ill make 30000 Staples then go fishing.

Phil are you having any issues, or did you have any issues with swarming there?  It's madness here, swarming is normally done and dusted for me here by now, but even today going into sites that don't normally swarm to find about 1/4 of them with larvae in cells etc.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, jamesc said:

Yep ... third tome lucky tooo.... bees ready to roll out to the motherload. Two boxes should keep them happy for a week or so

B80E0BD8-8B98-4D55-A2A4-C0E5391F3C3E.jpeg

James are you still intending to re-Queen your hives on the flow this season?

Yes we are , as the cells become available we wrap them in masking tape and pop them in the honey box above the queen excluder that has bees to keep them warm. Not everything will get done ....  It's just another method ..... sometimes supercedure is just as good as the bees know what is happening.

My humble opinion is that this is the time to requeen using a protected cell. The weather has sorted of settled, the beees are strongish and  If it misses you still have six or seven frames of brood hatching out to make you a couple of boxes of honey

We've had some real garbage success with the poly's this year..... we were catching queens this morning and have polys with three slabs of little brood combs and eggs and honey  and no bees. Gone.

I think I've mentioned this before ..... we have new neighbours who are onto it progressive farmers who are "blowing out "paddocks left right and centre with a wicked chemical cocktail ..... right on the flight path up to the Kowhai and matagouri.  It does get me wondering. As soon as we get some spare time we'll remake the polys and place them up in the honey dew and see if we get a better result.  

• Like 2

@Beefriendly I looked in my laying worker nuc and the bad news was no virgin but the good news was the bees were all over the avocado .

I just hope she hasnt flown back to her old hive , which would cause problems with the queen right hive I have combined with the old hive.

I should have hardened up and squashed her .

In my other queenless hive I did find the virgin and squashed her .

She was unmated and 6 weeks old .

To find her I had used a divison board like you said and a frame of eggs.

All the bees went in the bottom box .

So I took the hive apart and moved the box  of bees .away .10122018192220.thumb.jpg.86f878313d28a007a5046f9266c2b60f.jpg

I put a queen excluder on the HD base and hoped all the bees would fly back and  the virgin would be left out.

This was taking too much time so I just started dumping bees out and saw her on the fourth frame .

I put the hive back together without the excluder on bottom .

I added a frame with only eggs in it .

It was new soft comb. I read they make better emergency cells from stuff they can chew.

The migrants will be here at the end of the month so I expect this new queen. to mate sucessfully 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Your hives seem to me to be the most manipulated/invaded ones in the country !

• Agree 3
  • Haha 2

45 minutes ago, yesbut said:

Your hives seem to me to be the most manipulated/invaded ones in the country !

I am ever optimistic about being able to mate queens here in spring .

Last year I did have a queen mate in spring .

I have two hives I havent touched .

They are my non swarming hives .

• Like 1