• Replies 439
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Result of a thoroughbred queen for ya ☺️    

On your marks, get set.... Flow 

Is this a sign of the times? Most hives were dead long before the cows got to them.

Posted Images

7 hours ago, kaihoka said:

Kamahi is the most reliable bush flowerer here, from oct to christmas .

But the weather is not as reliable then unfortunately .

So lots of flowering is wasted .

Uhhuh ...... and now the road is washed out .....

• Sad 2
12 minutes ago, Bighands said:

Well what do you expect.Wild Wet West Coast,Kelly's Creek I believe

Ha ,,,,, what the heck was that campervan doing down in the river ?   Goodbye Kelly's ....??  Goat creek is just up from Otira.

2 hours ago, yesbut said:

You never came & got the sprouts !

Sorry should have let you know .

Was going to yesterday but had to get back before the tide came in .

The aorere was running really high when I came over in morning before rain .

Over again within two weeks .

We have been in cloud forest for 3 days :37_disappointed:

Edited by kaihoka
1 hour ago, Oma said:

Fingers crossed we get some here it’s still dry as.  You west coast guys sure get a hammering when it comes to storms hope all the hives are above the high tide mark ?️

Im fine .

I have offered to share my wind and rain many times .

That photo was of a once in 10 yr flood.

But half a doz times a year the road is out .

When the kids were at school they would often close the school and send the kids home early if there was hint of big rain so they did not get stuck with them .:6_smile:

Interestingly collingwood , which is the small town on the peninsular at the river mouth never floods.

Most of the river mouth is an unmodified swamp and salt marsh .

• Like 2

That’s one beautifully productive queen you have there.  Hope the other frames in that box aren’t looking like that and there are plenty of boxes on that hive or you will be posting in the “swarming” section in a week. 

• Haha 2

LOL, that was one of the better combs, although there's 10 combs of pretty good brood in that box. And yes, it's a 4 box hive and in fact there's a few boxes at that site fully capped and ready to harvest. Bees at that site are not trying to swarm as hard as some other sites but yes, I do have to work those bees once a week to keep them at home, that little gap top centre of the comb is where I pinched a queen cell last week. Less of them were trying to swarm today so maybe the urge is subsiding there at last.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, CraBee said:

It's about now usually one of the Mainlanders chimes in with: "Not much in the way of stores in there"

Ah yah beet me to it...!  Not much room for stores there Alistair ..... after the last couple of days we've had here that little single would be all starved out.   Snow and rain and mud and washouts ..... should've just stayed at home and painted boxes.

• Sad 2