Trevor Gillbanks

November 2018 Apiary Diary

went through wellington hives last friday,

1. community garden - only one there at the moment as the other one went to prison. Will split it this weekend.Booming. 
  2. friend's house - think i must have rolled the queen the previous time through - three emergency cells, one nicely hatched and two torn down. Hopefully a laying queen in there this weekend.
  3. backyard - the two hives remaining after moving several to taranaki and gifting one to the prison project are going great guns. Going to split a nuc off one for a work colleague this weekend.

honey pouring in.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, tommy dave said:

went through wellington hives last friday,

1. community garden - only one there at the moment as the other one went to prison. Will split it this weekend.Booming. 
  2. friend's house - think i must have rolled the queen the previous time through - three emergency cells, one nicely hatched and two torn down. Hopefully a laying queen in there this weekend.
  3. backyard - the two hives remaining after moving several to taranaki and gifting one to the prison project are going great guns. Going to split a nuc off one for a work colleague this weekend.

honey pouring in.

are you getting any wind in wellington these days.?

3 minutes ago, kaihoka said:

are you getting any wind in wellington these days.?

never a shortage

3 hours ago, tommy dave said:

never a shortage

I think we should share it with the rest of the country and not be so greedy about having it all .

Last evening I brought my nucs with queens  home from the other side of the bay .

Today I intended to put them in boxes to combine with my maybe queenless hives .

I had checked these  nucs briefly a week ago for eggs .

The first nuc I put I a box on top of a divison board with the entrance facing the other way .

1062018151948.thumb.jpg.ddbc491c61095eff448e200fa3ff27e7.jpg

I put a frame from the 3/4 hive in her box . 

After she has laid in it I will put it in the hive underneath and see if there is a virgin in there.

I took the other nuc to my other broodless  hive .

However when I opened the  nuc I saw this .

1062018152124.thumb.jpg.6afc542153e936cd7539b2d8d125c461.jpg

Multiple eggs in cells 

All drone brood 

And queen cells.

that queen must have got lost and there is a laying worker .

There is no sign of any queen.

I got a frame of all eggs and one day old lava from another hive  and put in the broodless hive.

The broodless hive is full  with  two boxes of bees and a 3/4 super with lots of bees.

I have read nurse bees are needed , but this hive has been broodless for about 3 weeks at least .

I have also read that bees can change their roles.

If these hives have unmated virgins in them I will have a think about how I find and get rid of them .

• Sad 1

23 minutes ago, kaihoka said:

Last evening I brought my nucs with queens  home from the other side of the bay .

Today I intended to put them in boxes to combine with my maybe queenless hives .

I had checked these  nucs briefly a week ago for eggs .

The first nuc I put I a box on top of a divison board with the entrance facing the other way .

1062018151948.thumb.jpg.ddbc491c61095eff448e200fa3ff27e7.jpg

I put a frame from the 3/4 hive in her box . 

After she has laid in it I will put it in the hive underneath and see if there is a virgin in there.

I took the other nuc to my other broodless  hive .

However when I opened the  nuc I saw this .

1062018152124.thumb.jpg.6afc542153e936cd7539b2d8d125c461.jpg

Multiple eggs in cells 

All drone brood 

And queen cells.

that queen must have got lost and there is a laying worker .

There is no sign of any queen.

I got a frame of all eggs and one day old lava from another hive  and put in the broodless hive.

The broodless hive is full  with  two boxes of bees and a 3/4 super with lots of bees.

I have read nurse bees are needed , but this hive has been broodless for about 3 weeks at least .

I have also read that bees can change their roles.

If these hives have unmated virgins in them I will have a think about how I find and get rid of them .

That elongated queen cell is typical of bees trying to make a queen from a drone egg 

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 2
  • Good Info 4
  • Sad 1

Not exactly Beekeeping ...... we got our phone bill from Farmside the other day ...... $633.58   . Oh Crud ..... $38 of phone calls .... the rest is satellite connection and "other "charges   for internet.

I think I might resign from the internet.  What did that explorer say in the antarctic   ......"I might be gone for a while ...."

• Confused 1
  • Sad 4

9 minutes ago, Mummzie said:

online shopping can be expensive!

What hacks me off is that the Main Man lives six k's down the road ,  pays next to nothing for unlimited .....  and gets Netflix .  

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

18 minutes ago, jamesc said:

Not exactly Beekeeping ...... we got our phone bill from Farmside the other day ...... $633.58   . Oh Crud ..... $38 of phone calls .... the rest is satellite connection and "other "charges   for internet.

I think I might resign from the internet.  What did that explorer say in the antarctic   ......"I might be gone for a while ...."

I you can get 2 cellphone bars you have other options .

If you can get 2 vodafone or 2 degree bars you could get one of farm sides other deals and talk your way out of half of that bill 

@M4tt

If there are virgins in these broodless hives what would be the best way to get rid of them .

They are very hard to spot in a hive full of bees.

Could I put an excluder on the bottom and dump out the bees .

If there are no nurse bees will they make a good queen cell .

I am going to dump out the drone laying nuc  and freeze the brood .

I wonder 'Oh windswept one'  ..... do you keep a diary ..... and if so, what was the summer of 2009/10 like.   .I jus been reading the Blueskies prediction, and that's what they come up with.   Slightly cooler through December.  

Having said that, we been making up more nucs today on Swarm patrol ....OMG   ..... those Dew hives are pumping ..... honey pouring in  so we is putting three frames foundation in the brood to give the queen something else to think about. Those bees need to go on a holiday shortly and make something the world wants.

1 hour ago, jamesc said:

If this is alarmingly out of the usual, give them a call and have a chat about it. They will often waive the first one like this if alerts etc didn’t go out warning you that usage was high. And set those alerts up pronto!

1 hour ago, jamesc said:

What hacks me off is that the Main Man lives six k's down the road ,  pays next to nothing for unlimited .....  and gets Netflix .  

Have a look at ubiquiti gear and share that connection. Ubiquiti do wireless connections to join networks but depending on what you get it may be too expensive. I’m looking at 2 units, each about $120 that will do line sight high speed connections for 5km. Their gear is awesome.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, jamesc said:

If you message me your address @jamesc I can look on the industry maps to see what all your options are. I work for a telco and those options change all the time.

As cBank says, if you talk nicely you may get a discount however they will have to cover their costs to the upstream satellite company.

18 minutes ago, jamesc said:

I wonder 'Oh windswept one'  ..... do you keep a diary ..... and if so, what was the summer of 2009/10 like.   .I jus been reading the Blueskies prediction, and that's what they come up with.   Slightly cooler through December.  

Having said that, we been making up more nucs today on Swarm patrol ....OMG   ..... those Dew hives are pumping ..... honey pouring in  so we is putting three frames foundation in the brood to give the queen something else to think about. Those bees need to go on a holiday shortly and make something the world wants.

I will have a big think .

We were not living here then but kept an eye on the property .

7 minutes ago, DeeGeeBee said:

If you message me your address @jamesc I can look on the industry maps to see what all your options are. I work for a telco and those options change all the time.

As cBank says, if you talk nicely you may get a discount however they will have to cover their costs to the upstream satellite company.

If he has a voda signal they do RBI . 

He could change plans and stay with them , they may forgive his bill.

Some local friends were on farmside sat. 

She got sent a large email that was to big for the slow connection .

It got stuck in a loop .

First bill came out on auto pay $800.

Next was $1300.

They never paid ,  cancelled and farmside never chased them .

I set them up with something else .

10 hours ago, DeeGeeBee said:

Thanks DGB ...... I looked at the connection maps a few months ago and we are in a black hole.   

57 minutes ago, jamesc said:

Thanks DGB ...... I looked at the connection maps a few months ago and we are in a black hole.   

In which case your next best option might be as cBank suggests.

The ubiquiti kit is distributed in NZ by Snappernet who are based in Rangiora. They’re good folks and pretty close to you right?

i am looking at moving a couple of km’s down the road where internet access will be much like you. Luckily I can get line of sight to a mate’s place who is on UFB. He gets half his internet paid for and I get 50 mb/s download. Everyone’s a winner.

My rate of 39nzd for flat rate internet+fix phone free+1000 minutes mobile free.. seems silly to your.. Where isn't hardwire connection there is internet box ( wireless) which you can carry wherever You want in country, but we are covered with mobile network emitters - believe it or not as same or even cheaper than hardwire..

This is heavy.. over 600nzd for..

Edited by Goran

25 minutes ago, Goran said:

My rate of 39nzd for flat rate internet+fix phone free+1000 minutes mobile free.. seems silly to your.. Where isn't hardwire connection there is internet box ( wireless) which you can carry wherever You want in country, but we are covered with mobile network emitters - believe it or not as same or even cheaper than hardwire..

This is heavy.. over 600nzd for..

There's just not enough of us to make a lot of tech solutions cost effect.

We have really rugged terrain.

But that has been an advantage in some ways .

There is always a mountain to put a tower on top of , but not always a road up it.

• Good Info 1

@jamesc have you checked it the new telco / govt initiative is going to drop a new tower near you .

We are getting two in our black spot areas in the north west here .

Any female commercials out there that want to talk to me about their experience? We have a couple of people trialing for trainee positions this week (and next) and one of them is a woman. Because all our other full-time-ers are male, I want to make sure that she is given a decent crack at the job and have some advice from other full-time female commercials already doing it. 

On another note, what types of things do you all think we should be trialing potential trainees with? I'm thinking the basics
- Good listening, following instruction and learning skills 
- Strength enough for honey harvesting days
- Comfort or interest in 4wding (they will be in cantas)
- Confidence/comfort around bees (i.e. they are not going to run off like a loon when they start getting stings on hard days)

Forecast says rain in the arvo tomorrow and we have someone coming for a trial, tempted to postpone it in case the day isn't going to involve enough beekeeping. But, hesitant to muck him around the day before and then the forecast play out differently. 

Without wanting to be prejudice..... some of oir best beekeepers have been female!

• Like 2

On average females are not as strong as males, they make up for this by being better beekeepers on average. At least the ones I have worked with. All beekeepers have to be careful of their backs but woman even more so. In my experience they can do it no problem. Mind you, I think you said you were running 350 hives per person so I have to wonder what they will be doing the other five days of the week.

• Agree 1
  • Haha 6