November 2018 Apiary Diary

On 20/11/2018 at 1:18 PM, Rob Atkinson said:

It looks like the Rewa will drag out for weeks , lots of trees with small buds .

Same here against the West Ranges 

Kamahi been going for a while, lots or Rewa not started yet.
Im putting 3 frame FD Nuc boxes on 3 across (9 frames) as Im out of gear

• Like 1
  • Replies 439
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Result of a thoroughbred queen for ya ☺️    

On your marks, get set.... Flow 

Is this a sign of the times? Most hives were dead long before the cows got to them.

Posted Images

42 minutes ago, Philbee said:

Same here against the West Ranges 

Kamahi been going for a while, lots or Rewa not started yet.
Im putting 3 frame FD Nuc boxes on 3 across (9 frames) as Im out of gear

Kamahi is peaking here.

Would like it to have gone on longer .

It is such a reliable flowerer .

My hives are all ready  to collect honey. Supers have been on all month but in most cases there is nothing in them. Brood boxes are chocka with bees and brood and stores . Usually I’d lift brood up into the super to expand the hive , but my focus is on minimising honey  production this year. So far so good. 

Its nice  to see rows of healthy drone brood between boxes with no varroa in them. There has been no reinvasion since the staples got pulled. 

Buttercup has yielded no surplus this year and the muppet next door was boom spraying his this morning ? as I was working the hives . 

So so that is the end of brood inspections on those two apiaries and all I need to do now is check if boxes are filling and add more if necessary 

• Like 3

"Today I combined a queen right hive with a hive that had been queenless for 12 days .

I had killed the month old virgin in the queenless hive and put  in a frame of eggs in 12 days ago .

10232018151948.thumb.jpg.96d048b763ff6a00b9f7170157e47281.jpg

The queen right hive is from a virgin swarm I took away to mate.

I was a bit apprehensive about how this mating would go after the last swarm turned into a drone layer .

One monday I saw she was mated and had filled the five frames with brood so I brought her home and put her in a box .

10232018155615.thumb.jpg.3e09e59ce3d39ca5da00fedfb5eae194.jpg

I took out the frame of eggs and the queen cell the bees  had made in the queenless hive  , and  two other frames of bees and earlier brood I had put in this hive  and put them into a nuc .

On the frame next to the queen cell I saw eggs .

10232018144620.thumb.jpg.41e30d9d9a9952b5a1001f7a62e01619.jpg

Where could they have come from , another laying worker ?

I got all the queenless bees into one box and put the hive on another base .

The HD base I shall clean out with the compressor and put it back when they have finished chewing the newspaper .

The mesh stops the bees leaking out but also stops stuff falling out .

10232018144533.thumb.jpg.1e0dfda81941d785a00d911deeffc6f7.jpg

I made up a  temporary small hive next to the new hive to sop up any confused bees .

I put a stick under the top box for drones .

10232018145116.thumb.jpg.8c2374395cca14c64420fa62d096318e.jpg

I took the nuc with the queen cell down to where my laying worker nuc is and swapped it as @Alastair suggested .

• Like 2

Still got bees trying to swarm here, so checking weekly. 

Nearly got caught with one hive that I pulled 2 frames into the super, found a queen in the process of hatching, scraped another cell off and sat on lid, turned around 5 minutes later and she crawled out the back of cell, then found another virgin on another frame.

Flow starting here but not full on just nicely easing into it

• Like 3
57 minutes ago, northernbee said:

Still got bees trying to swarm here, so checking weekly. 

Nearly got caught with one hive that I pulled 2 frames into the super, found a queen in the process of hatching, scraped another cell off and sat on lid, turned around 5 minutes later and she crawled out the back of cell, then found another virgin on another frame.

Flow starting here but not full on just nicely easing into it

Got to a site yesterday to check hives and drop some nuc boxes in.

I found a hive that had swarmed (Grrr) with cells just hatching.

I made up six single frame nucs with a cell or VQ.

I caged four VQ's and later dropped them into mating nucs at base that I knew were Queenless.

The balance of the boxes (still pretty significant) were merged into the smallest hive on site, which is now set up to get honey.

It's raining here today again so sorry forumites you'll have to put up with my posts ?

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
43 minutes ago, tommy dave said:

went through my couple of dunedin hives this misty early afternoon. Bees happy and healthy. Could have pulled three boxes of honey off, contented myself with one to extract for now. Might do some more tomorrow.

honey_pull_smaller_again.PNG

Do you know what honey they have filled the boxes with .

Can they all fit in at night ? 

Edited by kaihoka
40 minutes ago, kaihoka said:

Do you know what honey they have filled the boxes with .

Can they all fit in at night ? 

not sure re honey, likely a lot of rosemary and cabbage tree. There were no bees on the outside when i started the inspection, so no problems with the bees all fitting.

• Like 1