Trevor Gillbanks

November 2018 Apiary Diary

November now rolls around. Only 60 days to the New Year

Edited by Trevor Gillbanks
  • Like 3
  • Sad 1

Not quite winter here but we now have a small amount of much needed rain

• Agree 1

Just put woolly hat on and now sun's come out...most concrete loads cancelled today. 

Bee populations high in hives had two swarms return to there hives on weekend. One hive in town 3/4 box honey already. 

• Like 1

I feel as a Grinch when reading what You wrote, we have over 20C day temps and wearing t-shirts.. As same unusual for this time of year.. ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

To wet and wild to do anything with the beesus today so went for a hunt out the back yard.Was walking along a cold exposed ridgeline and noticed one tee tree shrub in full bloom being battered by the wind with a few bee like insects hovering over it ,was impressed that the girls were out, but on closer inspection they were all german wasps havin a good old feed of the good stuff. Blasted things.

Also seems to be a few oinkers around that will require another appointment. yeeha!

• Like 3

what would be the best way to find and dispatch an unwanted virgin in a 2 box hive full of bees.

the nucs i took away have laying queens.

when there is capped brood i will bring them back here.

i will put a frame of eggs in the 2 box hive to check there is still a virgin in there.

if there is she needs to be replaced, she is a month old.

could i put a queen excluder on the bottom of the hive and dump all the bees out in front.

at the same time put the box with the new queen on top to combine using paper method.

1 hour ago, Bee Good said:

Also seems to be a few oinkers around that will require another appointment. yeeha!

Came across a sow & 7 suckers half an hour ago on my swarm round.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, yesbut said:

Came across a sow & 7 suckers half an hour ago on my swarm round.

Awe nice one,  are you talking about the free range type?

36 minutes ago, Bee Good said:

Awe nice one,  are you talking about the free range type?

Yes, the cockie's bane variety. There's no shortage of the things. They prefer the local gorse/kanuka/blackberry/mahoe to the neighbouring pines.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, kaihoka said:

could i put a queen excluder on the bottom of the hive and dump all the bees out in front.

If its a virgin, she could get thru the QE ?

5 hours ago, kaihoka said:

what would be the best way to find and dispatch an unwanted virgin in a 2 box hive full of bees.

If she is hard to find, if you were to split the hive into 2 separate boxes, you should get an indication which box is queenless. Then the search is half the size ?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Mummzie said:

If its a virgin, she could get thru the QE ?

If she is hard to find, if you were to split the hive into 2 separate boxes, you should get an indication which box is queenless. Then the search is half the size ?

She wont go through the excluder .

Yes could put division board in 

Last years nucs have been nurtured and split, and nurtured again and are now ready to go out on duds to make us a living.  We are still splitting the strong yards  and making nucs for next year as part of swarm control procedure.  A cold week with snow has lightened the hives and we are feeding again.

The end of next week is the deadline for the bee fiddling. After that it's every hive for itself as wagons roll and the boxes go out.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Goran said:

I feel as a Grinch when reading what You wrote, we have over 20C day temps and wearing t-shirts.. As same unusual for this time of year.. ?

LOl and we have 3 degrees C and fresh snow on the mountains again, welcome to november the last month of spring!

• Like 5

I’m in Canterbury at the moment . The bees are tough here because it’s colder and windier than our Waikato variety are exposed to ,today anyway ?.

To my surprise , the internet here works, unlike the Sunshine Coast apparently ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, M4tt said:

unlike the Sunshine Coast apparently ?

Don't get me started about 2 degrees and their plurry worthless promises about Oz roaming ?

• Good Info 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, yesbut said:

Don't get me started about 2 degrees and their plurry worthless promises about Oz roaming ?

Man you must have had bad forum egression for a bit  there 

• Haha 1

You passing through Nelson ?

33 minutes ago, yesbut said:

You passing through Nelson ?

We flew over early this morning and looked down across you peoples back yard . Farewell Spit  was just down out to our   right with Neson below . 

Weve never been to Nelson , but  but it is on the bucket list ?

Edited by M4tt

1 hour ago, M4tt said:

We flew over early this morning and looked down across you peoples back yard . Farewell Spit  was just down out to our   right with Neson below . 

Weve never been to Nelson , but  but it is on the bucket list ?

I waved :14_relaxed:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, kaihoka said:

I waved :14_relaxed:

I thought that was you . I was surveying Whanganui Inlet at exactly the same time 

• Haha 1

I saw some of @Adam Boot‘s honey in a little shop in Akaroa 

43 minutes ago, M4tt said:

I saw some of @Adam Boot‘s honey in a little shop in Akaroa 

Did you buy some ?

Interesting day...

I have a hive that was supposed to go to a new beek tomorrow. The hive was checked on Tuesday 30/10, eggs, larvae, capped brood, stores, no AFB, Queen right. All looked good. 

So, being a nosey beek... thought I’d have a ‘quick peek’ in this avo

Off with the lid, lots of girls fanning, bums up in the air, ditzie, erratic behaviour. Hmm.Better check for her majesty. She’s a red dot, black girl, from Nov 2017 split, usually easily spotted.

On a thorough check through the frames, she wasn’t to be seen. No fresh eggs...On frame 7 there is a fine specimen of a hatched Queen cell. Obviously one I missed.  

I’m 99.9% certain , they’ve superseded her. 

Those bees, it would seem had different ideas.

They’ll stay put for now.

By contrast, the 2 hives I had set about to check, both queens seen.. One lovely queen, even displayed her egg laying skills. 

• Like 3