Phil46

$1800 for 250g jar of mauka honey

High end manuka honey being sold by Manuka South....UMF 28+? jus caught tail end of report on News channel 1. 

I saw the news item. Can't believe there are that many gullible tourists out there and disappointed that some people think it's acceptable to rip people off like that. My manuka comb honey is just as pure and probably tastes better plus mine is 1/74 th the price. Mind you it doesn't come with a fancy spoon.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Just now, john berry said:

Mind you it doesn't come with a fancy spoon.

Or a rose gold box

Woops my maths was wrong my honey is 1/148th  the price. Probably why I have sold out for the year.

It's very clever marketing. 

• Agree 1

Who buys stuff like that at that price .

Certainly no one in my circles.

Do you think they will ever sell any .

11 minutes ago, kaihoka said:

Compare it to Alcohol pricing at the top end
Whats the difference? Im sure you could easily spent that on a bottle of wine in a fancy restaurant 

• Agree 1
  • Sad 1

I agree it is very clever marketing, good on them. Saw a doco on TV the other night about a dating agency wich they charge you US $500,000  to find you a wife! 

9 hours ago, Mark K said:

I agree it is very clever marketing, good on them. Saw a doco on TV the other night about a dating agency wich they charge you US $500,000  to find you a wife! 

Who pays you the 500k?

• Haha 1

i have a 500 gm pot of Lavender honey worth $100.00 any takers, lol

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Philbee said:

Who pays you the 500k?

The client pays the agencey when they find you a wife. The doco was on Vice land.

• Like 1

This sort of pricing is damaging honey sales and the reputation of honey. It might be good marketing when you're targeting rich tourists but it does nothing for selling honey to the average New Zealander and they are the ones that still by the majority of the honey sold. If these companies stop wasting so much money on overpaid executives and ridiculously expensive advertising campaigns they might be able to sell honey at reasonable prices and still make a profit like I do.

• Agree 2

Here's a single malt that sold recently...

image.thumb.png.02ba5c39f04af17d6474ef8546c9e34e.png

And a 'regular', off the shelf example available in reasonable quantities...
image.png.f3c2416354883a42312a6055b91059ae.png

I don't see the Scottish whisky industry hurting overall due to these products.  You can still buy Bells and Teachers if you wish to.

• Agree 1

Hmmm .... the price has gone up. Last time I looked in their store the product was worth $1500 . That was three months ago. I guess that means the price of honey dew mustav gone up too ...!  Things are looking up eh ....!!

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, jamesc said:

Hmmm .... the price has gone up. Last time I looked in their store the product was worth $1500 . That was three months ago. I guess that means the price of honey dew mustav gone up too ...!  Things are looking up eh ....!!

It could be the price of gold that went up , or shipping .....anything getting moved around is starting to groan under the pressures of fuel tax rises 

Edited by M4tt

Their backsides will be covered.. it will test exactly as it states on the label.. that’s their price and if someone wants it at that what’s the problem? 

I feel for the beekeeper.. he sold the drum for X amount.. and would have spat his dinner across the table seeing it for sale at that amount. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha 1

On 30/10/2018 at 9:55 PM, kaihoka said:

The royal couple. They had this honey few months ago however they got in the news RIGHT now, what a coincidence.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, jamesc said:

Funny how the price of honey in the supermarket hasn’t gone down off the back of $4kg honey prices

• Agree 1