Moving 30 double brood hives

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I like hives to have a minimum of three days to settle down after working before I shift them. A week is better. Try and pick a cold night and load the hives as soon as the bees stop flying in the eve

People who make sarcastic comments about Taupos weather are not likely to be invited to join @Philbee in his safe remote location when the end of the world comes . I have made it quite clear to m

That makes you semi commercial ??

2 hours ago, Frosty said:

Another question I forgot to ask. What gap do you leave between each row of hives? Can they be hard up against each other? Or should I leave a small gap for airflow?

Be nice if I was only going 4km!

Hard up against each other , strapped tight 

• Like 1

I always block entrances with propolis mat and strap each hive tight with its own loads binder.

A crane helps a lot otherwise 1 guy with a sack trolley or 2 guys with a shoulder sling pole between them
Sling poles will even get a double over a fence

19 hours ago, frazzledfozzle said:

We always face them back 

one of the many things beekeepers do differently :) 

we tend to get a lot of drunk drugged up ferals that tailgate with headlights on full beam which tends to suck the bees out if you face them back.

• Haha 2

Ah .... moving bees. Ours always go on sideways . The bees don't mind. They need to be strapped down real tight or jammed up real close together to stop them rattling apart. Bees on trailers are a a nightmare as they bounce and shake ..... but you'll get there. On an open trailer they won't sweat .... and for good ness sake ..... don't block them.  I'd cart them three high .... two broods and a honey box. if it's really warm they'll hang out the front, so be carefull when you stop for a BP.   It can look  a bit shocking but they'll sort them selves at the other end.

35 minutes ago, jamesc said:

Ah .... moving bees. Ours always go on sideways . The bees don't mind. They need to be strapped down real tight or jammed up real close together to stop them rattling apart. Bees on trailers are a a nightmare as they bounce and shake ..... but you'll get there. On an open trailer they won't sweat .... and for good ness sake ..... don't block them.  I'd cart them three high .... two broods and a honey box. if it's really warm they'll hang out the front, so be carefull when you stop for a BP.   It can look  a bit shocking but they'll sort them selves at the other end.

I always load them on front ways or back - is there not a problem with frames rattling together if sideways and the Q and / or bees getting squashed?

1 minute ago, CraBee said:

I always load them on front ways or back - is there not a problem with frames rattling together if sideways and the Q and / or bees getting squashed?

no problem with frames rattling around.

one ute we load sideways because of the deck size.

• Good Info 1

Another question. I have a canopy on my Ranger that I was going to take off for the 5 hives I'm putting on the back. Would there be overheating issues if I left the canopy on? It has a front window that can open up against the cab for some ventilation. Cheers again.

21 hours ago, tristan said:

we tend to get a lot of drunk drugged up ferals that tailgate with headlights on full beam which tends to suck the bees out if you face them back.

Just fitted some extra spot lights to the head board of the ute and faced them foward, should get a better result next. YEEHA

1 hour ago, Frosty said:

Quick question. If the weather improves whist I'm traveling that's not an issue once I'm on the move right?

Just make sure you have some shade or wind cloth over them so if they start heating up and coming out your don’t loose bees along the road.