A first sign of the times, newby commercial doesn't start

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A couple of months ago I was approached by a guy who saw bee boxes on my vehicle and button holed me for a talk because he wanted to be a commercial beekeeper. (this happens to me fairly regularly).

Another sign. There's a question asked, and I think "you have that many hives and this is the question you're asking?" Is it just me...

I find niwa to be pretty reliable with their long-range forecasts. They are almost 100% wrong 100% of the time.

However he can start small - 4 hives - to have own honey and a small hobby.  But no, he wanted to make BIG money - commercial - from the start. Very good if he gave up before he would make more harm the other beekeepers.

We already face the side effect of newbies starting BIG and not handling their beehives' management(disease).

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

There's definitely a shift happening/happened, and for the better. 

The last couple of years when I asked at the beginner's beekeeping course 'who's thinking about making some money/making a living?', half the class raised their hands.    This year (a couple of months ago), maybe 10% raised their hands.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
13 minutes ago, Alastair said:

Yes we get westerlies but this is a thin part of the country, they do not pass over a big land mass getting hoter and drier by the time they get to us.

The same here.

We never get a hot dry land wind .

But sometimes a nice warm gentle nor easterly .

52 minutes ago, john berry said:

I find niwa to be pretty reliable with their long-range forecasts. They are almost 100% wrong 100% of the time.

I heard an american forecaster describe NZ as the  Everest of forecasting and he was looking forward to the challenge of trying to weather forecast here . 

• Agree 1

I think ot for all of us....blue skies seem to have a dollar each way.

l generally keep their forcasts out of canterbury farming and read them again at the end of the season.... they sort of get it.

I see there is fresh whitebait at the physic reader at the old west coast road up from Kumara.  ... might stop one day for a fritter and a weather forcast.