GoED

NZBF 18+ Emergency cells in one hive

On 27/11/2018 at 9:10 AM, GoED said:

I actually like the bees on my bare hands already and would have always liked to work without gloves. But as a beginner beekeeper my first mentor in Puhoi asked me to always wear full conventional cover. Mind you at that early point I was dropping phrases like Warre so I’m sure he was alarmed that I might not give myself the best chance to succeed if I didn’t have conventional baseline experiences first. Now I understand why convention starting points are valuable. I’m thankful.\

not really sure how or why looking back, but i started out without wearing any gear or using a smoker. I remember someone, don't remember who, at @tudor's place i think?, telling me that the bees would eventually give me a hiding and i'd learn a lesson but that in the mean time i should at least wear sunglasses as you're a long time blind after a sting in the eye.

Now i rarely go into a hive without a lit smoker and a veil on - evolved in the opposite direction ;)

pretty sure i got lucky, but i'm glad it went that way

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, tommy dave said:

not really sure how or why looking back, but i started out without wearing any gear or using a smoker. I remember someone, don't remember who, at @tudor's place i think?, telling me that the bees would eventually give me a hiding and i'd learn a lesson but that in the mean time i should at least wear sunglasses as you're a long time blind after a sting in the eye.

Now i rarely go into a hive without a lit smoker and a veil on - evolved in the opposite direction ;)

pretty sure i got lucky, but i'm glad it went that way

I totally agree... the only two times I have been stung opening a hive is without a lit smoker and a veil on. It was also afternoon and the hive was in shade. I consider myself lucky and won’t test it a third time. The girls were trying to warn me, I didn’t respond so one popped me right on the tip of my nose. My fault she lost her life unnecessarily.

Never test the baseline. Baseline is clearly -Veil, right time of day, a lit smoker and a willingness to back off when asked to.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

58 minutes ago, GoED said:

I totally agree... the only two times I have been stung opening a hive is without a lit smoker and a veil on. It was also afternoon and the hive was in shade. I consider myself lucky and won’t test it a third time. The girls were trying to warn me, I didn’t respond so one popped me right on the tip of my nose. My fault she lost her life unnecessarily.

Never test the baseline. Baseline is clearly -Veil, right time of day, a lit smoker and a willingness to back off when asked to.

I started out in full kit , gloves veil etc .

Now I always wear the suit but seldom put the hood up and only use the gloves for activities like lifting a full box of honey overflowing with bees .

• Like 1

On 29/11/2018 at 7:49 AM, GoED said:

Has the suspected royalty been laying any eggs yet? Hope so @Beefriendly

Eureka 

I’m very pleased to announce royalty is indeed in residence.

Eggs and young larvae sighted this avo... I didn’t search too hard to spot the new queen.

As soon as I flipped the lid, I was fairly certain the hive was again Queen right and back on track.

They’ll be left alone for another week. 

A49105AD-9911-492B-AE23-9B15B6A84621.thumb.jpeg.4e41e307e01290dc7af74c3c0d3701bb.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Good Info 1

On 2/12/2018 at 5:07 PM, Beefriendly said:

They’ll be left alone for another week. 

Hive was rechecked last Monday. Himself suited up, as a 2nd pair of eyes to search for the new Royal 

3rd frame in and there she was. A well mated caramel brown young queen. 

Frames of eggs and capped brood. 

8D197008-85FD-43FA-876F-A1F15AA141AE.thumb.jpeg.01c10e8c4653897037b7e5031a417659.jpeg

Her majesty was again sited on transfer of the frames to the suppled new hardware. 

The hive is now ready to go! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Beefriendly said:

Hive was rechecked last Monday. Himself suited up, as a 2nd pair of eyes to search for the new Royal 

3rd frame in and there she was. A well mated caramel brown young queen. 

Frames of eggs and capped brood. 

8D197008-85FD-43FA-876F-A1F15AA141AE.thumb.jpeg.01c10e8c4653897037b7e5031a417659.jpeg

Her majesty was again sited on transfer of the frames to the suppled new hardware. 

The hive is now ready to go! 

Nice looking brood pattern 

• Agree 3