Sign in to follow this  
Dave Black

Billion trees drive could threaten mānuka industry

This is an intelligent piece from Newsroom’s Farah Hancock. Quite apart from how Manuka came to be considered a tree, and why shrubs are part of the Government’s Billion *Trees* programme, it also says something about the wisdom of the hasty Government ‘picking winners’ strategy.

Quoting Unitec associate professor Peter de Lange and University of Otago associate professor Doctor Janice Lord the article raises some interesting issues we haven’t considered much. Here’s the gist of it:

“Mānuka honey as an industry is going to make us quite a lot of money but in fact there are chemical compounds, essential oils in particular, that are way, way more valuable than mānuka honey.”

“We know chemically there are very distinct chemical races of mānuka throughout the country and these chemicals have a lot of potential as medicine and industrial use. If you hybridise that you are going to lose that potency.”

“There still could be properties found in different types of mānuka in different parts in the country and you wouldn’t want to lose that genetic resource by too hastily planting what’s considered the best mānuka at the moment into areas where there is wild mānuka.”

So is the drive for a fast buck despoiling the future? You can read the full article here;
https://www.newsroom.co.nz/2018/10/18/282086/fears-billion-trees-drive-could-dilute-mnuka-properties?preview=1

• Like 2
  • Good Info 1

in the span of  a human lifetime Manuka has gone from being a species desired to be eliminated, to a species desired by all. There seems to be no balance.

• Like 2

Hmmmm, I can hear "Boom and Bust"  and "Greed and Stupidity" words floating around.

Ah well, Myrtle Rust may (or may not) decimate a zillion trees, and it's all about a honey which has no benefits when taken by mouth.

Non-smiley icon.

Let's think about our fantastic honeys which will continue into the future.

Smiley icon, now.

• Like 2

There is no doubt that there is more to Manuka than honey.

I had the privilege to work with  forward thinking Manuka company a few years ago. The CEO alway used to say that the Manuka Oil was of far more value than the honey.

" Imagine a billion Chinese buying a vial of 20gm Manuka OIl to put a drop on their face masks during the winter ....."

I rest my case your honour.   

• Like 2