Queen cages on cells

Has anyone tried to put a roller type queen cage on queen cells built on frames? Or any other ideas to cage these cells. I have a hive with lots of queen cells on one frame and another hive queenless, so I was wondering about trying to cage some of the cells to get another queen. They are due to hatch today or tomorrow.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Depends how long they've been queenless. If they've been queenless for a long time then yes, it is difficult to get them to accept a new one. If they haven't been queenless for very long it should wor

Thanks that's great. I will give it a go today.

27 minutes ago, M4tt said:

I'm pretty sure the queenless hive will tear them down if they're not protected 

Depends how long they've been queenless. If they've been queenless for a long time then yes, it is difficult to get them to accept a new one. If they haven't been queenless for very long it should work just fine. I make lots of splits this time of year and dequeen nucs in mating yards. All of these get unprotected cells a day or two later and almost all are accepted.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1