Myrtle rust spreads by bees.

Anyone else hear from DOC today regarding bees carrying Myrtle Rust spores? 

Spores apparently remain alive for up to 9 days inside the hive. 

Restricted beehive movements around the top of the south etc.. 

Does anyone know if they use the PCR test to find the spores? 

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

https://www.doc.govt.nz/news/media-releases/2018/doc-to-restrict-beehive-movement-on-public-conservation-land/ “Myrtle rust is a threat to plants such as mānuka, kānuka, rātā and pōhutukawa. Thes

https://m.sunlive.co.nz/news/190757-doc-to-restrict-beehive-movement-on-pcl.html

PCL Public conservation land

I thought DOC had given up on trying to control myrtle rust .

As long as they keep to the letter of the law it will not affect me .

I am surrounded by DOC land .

If they decide to use flight range it would be another matter .

I wonder how it will affect the migrants with the doc concessions.

7 hours ago, kaihoka said:

I wonder how it will affect the migrants with the doc concessions.

Going by the new concession terms they can’t shift their bees onto PCL  if they are coming from the areas stated. 

54 minutes ago, Stoney said:

Going by the new concession terms they can’t shift their bees onto PCL  if they are coming from the areas stated. 

I am pretty shocked and sad for the the very decent outfit that has been coming here for years.

Its just as well they brought the farm down the road but it must change the whole economics of coming here .

It will mean the helicopter hives will not come .

I was talking to a senior doc person last week about myrtle rust and how it was good that no more controls were in place and rust could run its course .

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎9‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 8:49 PM, Stoney said:

Anyone else hear from DOC today regarding bees carrying Myrtle Rust spores? 

Spores apparently remain alive for up to 9 days inside the hive. 

Restricted beehive movements around the top of the south etc.. 

Does anyone know if they use the PCR test to find the spores? 

https://www.doc.govt.nz/news/media-releases/2018/doc-to-restrict-beehive-movement-on-public-conservation-land/

“Myrtle rust is a threat to plants such as mānuka, kānuka, rātā and pōhutukawa. These plants are vital for healthy ecosystems, but also the beekeeping industry.”

Beehive concessionaires have been informed that: 

Beehives cannot be moved from the North Island and placed on PCL sites in the South Island.

Beehives cannot be moved from the Operational Districts of New Plymouth, King Country, Waikato, Hauraki, Tauranga and Auckland and placed on PCL sites in the Operational Region of Northern North Island.

Beehives cannot be moved from the Operational Districts of Golden Bay, Motueka, Sounds and Marlborough South and placed on PCL sites in other Operational Districts in the North Island or South Island.

Beehives cannot be moved from outside the Te Paki Ecological District and placed on PCL sites in the Te Paki Ecological District."

https://www.doc.govt.nz/get-involved/apply-for-permits/business-or-activity/beekeeping-on-public-conservation-land/established-beehive-site/

"We recently updated the process for keeping bees on public conservation land. This page describes the new process for established beehive sites and the reasons for the change.

Keep checking this page for updates about 2018/19 tender process opportunities.

How we’ll allocate future beehive concessions

We decided the best way to allocate future beehive concessions for established, high-demand locations, is by conducting annual reviews of concessions that have expired or will expire before the next beekeeping season.

Locations will be assessed for their suitability to continue hosting hives. Assessment will include ecological and cultural values. Any locations with ecological and/or cultural values will be excluded from the tender process. Any locations without such values will be included in the tender process.

After assessment, suitable locations will be open for tender on this website. Applicants can apply for as many locations as they wish. Successful tender applicants will then be invited to apply for a concession."

https://www.doc.govt.nz/get-involved/apply-for-permits/business-or-activity/beekeeping-on-public-conservation-land/unestablished-beehive-sites/

"To get a beehive concession for a location on public conservation land which has never hosted beehives, or does not currently host beehives, apply at any time outside the tender process."

https://www.biosecurity.govt.nz/protection-and-response/responding/alerts/myrtle-rust/myrtle-rust-research-programme/

"To help us better understand myrtle rust and limit its impact, MPI has commissioned a comprehensive research programme with more than 20 projects valued at over $3.7 million. The projects will be completed over 2 years to June 2019.

Further funding will be made available through MBIE later in 2018."

https://www.biosecurity.govt.nz/dmsdocument/30011-assessment-of-the-risks-of-transmission-of-myrtle-rust-austropuccinia-psidii-spores-by-honey-bees-apis-mellifera

"Honey bees (Apis mellifera) have been observed foraging on and collecting myrtle rust (Austropuccinia psidii, “MR”) spores, which would result in spores being brought back to their hives. If these spores remain viable within the hive, the long-distance movement of hives could be a means of spreading this plant pathogen. To help quantify this risk, we sought to determine the rates of spores being brought into hives by foraging bees, and to assess the survival of spores inside the hive environment.

We detected MR spores on returning forager bees and in pollen stores inside hives. We found that MR spores remain viable (able to germinate) within beehives and on worker bees for at least 9 days (limit of this test).  

The greatest risk for New Zealand is that many bee hives are now being transported great distances into remote locations to produce honey, specifically mānuka honey, and this may lead to the transfer of spores to areas that would not have been exposed to the spores through wind movement. Mānuka plants are susceptible to myrtle rust and therefore this commercial activity could inadvertently spread myrtle rust into otherwise unaffected regions."

• Like 1
  • Good Info 1
1 hour ago, Borage said:

"Honey bees (Apis mellifera) have been observed foraging on and collecting myrtle rust (Austropuccinia psidii, “MR”) spores, which would result in spores being brought back to their hives. If these spores remain viable within the hive, the long-distance movement of hives could be a means of spreading this plant pathogen. To help quantify this risk, we sought to determine the rates of spores being brought into hives by foraging bees, and to assess the survival of spores inside the hive environment.

We detected MR spores on returning forager bees and in pollen stores inside hives. We found that MR spores remain viable (able to germinate) within beehives and on worker bees for at least 9 days (limit of this test).  

they found the same thing with PSA in the kiwifruit, yes the bees collected it, they also can collect dust. They have not however connected a new infection from a bee thats come from a hive with PSA spores in it, or how many spores you need before it starts a new infection, they did find that after a weather event the cases of PSA showed up as all the spores were tossed around willy nilly.

I wonder if someone up north thought how can we stop beeks moving into our area mmmmm I know............. (just wondering aloud I have no knowledge of such things) 

1 hour ago, Dennis Crowley said:

I wonder if someone up north thought how can we stop beeks moving into our area mmmmm I know............. (just wondering aloud I have no knowledge of such things) 

Would be a good opportunity for someone downsizing and not in the areas specified to sell a few hives.