Propolis Mats w Top Feeders

Looking at using Propolis Mats in hives with top feeders, and have come across some problems with drone brood being laid above the mats which clogs the mats. Has anyone got any thoughts on the best approach to this? Also, is there any way to santise the mats so that desease's such as AFB won't be spread from hive to hive after cleaning the mats? 

Thanks

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Somewhere there is a video with the propois mats on hives but I have not made one specific to propolis mats.   You are correct about placement. Put the propolis on and then hive mat.  I

Yes propolis mat. hive mat, hive lid

we just cut a 3" hole in the propolis mat and put it under the top feeder. ie the hole is under the feeder entrance(s). however it should also be above the queen excluder. top feeder without an e

9 hours ago, Laxin134 said:

Looking at using Propolis Mats in hives with top feeders, and have come across some problems with drone brood being laid above the mats which clogs the mats. Has anyone got any thoughts on the best approach to this? Also, is there any way to santise the mats so that desease's such as AFB won't be spread from hive to hive after cleaning the mats? 

Thanks

I’m not clear where you have /are placing a propolis mat...

you say you are looking at using a mat..

then that you have problem with drone brood above?

I thought a propolis mat had to  under the hive mat 

@Trevor Gillbanks has a YouTube clip on cleaning beehive hardware google

Trevs Bees

Just now, Beefriendly said:

I’m not clear where you have /are placing a propolis mat...

you say you are looking at using a mat..

then that you have problem with drone brood above?

I thought a propolis mat had to  under the hive mat 

@Trevor Gillbanks has a YouTube clip on cleaning beehive hardware google

Trevs Bees

Somewhere there is a video with the propois mats on hives but I have not made one specific to propolis mats.

You are correct about placement.

Put the propolis on and then hive mat.  If I want to put on the top feeder then I remove the Propolis mat and hive mat and put them above the top feeder.

If you want to have the propolis mats on with the top feeder then you will need to cut a hole in the mat to allow the bees access to the top feeder.

Maybe I will make a video about this.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, tristan said:

as per normal, don't take gear off infected hives. treat them just like boxes etc. afb 101.

More in the sense of mats being on hives in the early stages of AFB before it is easily detectable in the infected hive? 

4 hours ago, Trevor Gillbanks said:

If I want to put on the top feeder then I remove the Propolis mat and hive mat and put them above the top feeder.

Would you then place the mat back on top of the hive when not feeding the hives?

1 hour ago, Laxin134 said:

More in the sense of mats being on hives in the early stages of AFB before it is easily detectable in the infected hive? 

mats tend to stay on for long time. its not like your pulling them on/off constantly. if you take off an infected mat, you have probably taken off a few infected boxes as well.

one thing you can check is how the propolis mats are processed. some are done by going through a solvent bath, which i think would nuke any afb pretty well. but some freeze them and break it off. so need to check what process is used.

• Thanks 1
On 5/10/2018 at 11:16 AM, Laxin134 said:

Thanks

Hi @Laxin134

This might help: we have Propolis Mats with holes pre-produced here: https://ecrotek.co.nz/product/propolis-mat-feeder-hole Thanks!

• Thanks 1