ApiNZ Levy Proposal

ApiNZ's Amended 2018 Commodity Levy Proposal

In my opinion there’s all this focus on the levy funding research.

Thing is if there’s not a whole heap of money invested in marketing and promoting our non Manuka honeys there won’t be the levy money available that you are banking on because a lot of us will go bust over the next 5 years.

At least the corporates and their tens of thousands of hives should at least pay to keep Apinz in the money.

Edited by frazzledfozzle
  • Agree 1

Levy payers do get a say each and every year as to how levy funds are spent.

ApiNZ's suggested focus at this point is research. This is based on the feedback we have had to date. Should the levy proceed, ApiNZ will again survey all levy payers as to how the levy funds ought to be invested.  If there is, for example, a need for more market investment and levy payers feed this back to us, then that is where more funds will be directed.  It is important to note that funding allocations will change over time as levy payers do get to vote on investment proposals each year.

In blunt terms (far be it for me to be blunt) can @ApiNZ actually continue in it's present form if the levy vote is lost? Will the subscriptions and profit from conference and other income actually enable it to remain unchanged?

50 minutes ago, ApiNZ Levy Proposal said:

Levy payers do get a say each and every year as to how levy funds are spent.

ApiNZ's suggested focus at this point is research. This is based on the feedback we have had to date. Should the levy proceed, ApiNZ will again survey all levy payers as to how the levy funds ought to be invested.  If there is, for example, a need for more market investment and levy payers feed this back to us, then that is where more funds will be directed.  It is important to note that funding allocations will change over time as levy payers do get to vote on investment proposals each year.

I was of the understanding that it’s the research topics that will be discussed at agm not the whole budget ??

We’ve not yet had an answer on the multiple questions about who votes. I read it as a discussion paper being put out before and during agm and then it gets decided on by the board members, is that correct ?? 

From the website 

Levy payers will be represented by commercial board members, who will direct the investment of levy funds. Associate members will vote for remaining board members in the sector that represents them.

• Like 2

I would also love to know the hive holding comparisons between the corporates and big players against those who are running under around 3000 hives

I have had no reply to my question of how votes will be weighted and whether those weighted votes have the final say or the board does. I feel this is a valid question that needs an answer.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

1 hour ago, john berry said:

I have had no reply to my question of how votes will be weighted and whether those weighted votes have the final say or the board does. I feel this is a valid question that needs an answer.

Would this possibly be answered in their constitution ?

The process for investing levy funds is outlined on the dedicated levy website www.apinz.org.nz/levy

This website also has a number of useful Frequently Asked Questions.  We recommend that people take the time to read this before voting.  

Each year ApiNZ will present a budget and planned activities. This will be developed by Board members, the majority of which will be representing levy payers.   Levy payers will get to vote on this FULL BUDGET, including any research component.  All votes will be weighted based on levy paid.  This is common across other commodity levy organisations.

27 minutes ago, ApiNZ Levy Proposal said:

Each year ApiNZ will present a budget and planned activities. This will be developed by Board members, the majority of which will be representing levy payers.   Levy payers will get to vote on this FULL BUDGET, including any research component.  All votes will be weighted based on levy paid.  This is common across other commodity levy organisations.

Im getting dizzy going in circles on this one.

Apinz has two documents attached to voting papers which are the ones replicated on the ApiNZ Web site.

One says levy payers will get a weighted vote on honey without any specific detail.

The other document (which is the more official of the two) says levy payers will only get a chance to "discuss" levy expenditure at the AGM and no mention of voting.

So for the last time:

1) Which statement is true and why is there two official statements in complete conflict.

2) If levy expenditure decisions will be made public by the board at ApiNZ AGM, how long before this event will levy payers have their vote on expenditure and in what format will this take. (actual vote or just a web page type survey)

3) If weighted voting is taking place, exact details on how this works please and again formate and time of year details.

4) ApiNZ states only beekeeper board members will decide on levy expenditure, but with 90% of ApiNZ finances coming from "industry good" contracts paid from the levy, what is being put in place to prevent the other 3 board members having influence over levy expenditure.

These questions are all addressed here:

https://apinz.org.nz/levy/

This was also covered extensively during consultation meetings.  I hope you managed to attend one.

Under the Commodity Levies Act we are only required to "discuss" investment plans.  We have elected to go a step further and add voting on levy investment plans.  This actually gives levy payers even more say.  

Plans will be presented well ahead of ApiNZ's AGM for feedback.  Voting on the plan will take place both by post (for those who can't attend the AGM) and at the AGM.

The Commodity Levies Act is also very clear that levy paying Board members have the final say over levy investment.  

Voting will be weighted on levy paid.  

It is good to see the questions focusing on how the levy will work in practice once it is in place.  

57 minutes ago, ApiNZ Levy Proposal said:

Under the Commodity Levies Act we are only required to "discuss" investment plans.  We have elected to go a step further and add voting on levy investment plans.  This actually gives levy payers even more say.  

How very generous of you giving the beekeepers who will be funding your spending to have a say on how it’s spent ....for the first year anyway. 

• Agree 1

I'm not sure how you can describe this as generous?  Under the Commodity Levies Act Levy payers must have a say over the investment of levy funds.  This fund is being established for the benefit of industry, nothing else.  We are currently one of the only primary sectors in New Zealand without a commodity levy in place.  

I also don't understand what you mean by "the first year anyway".  Once in place, a commodity levy exists for six years.  It can only be altered by the majority vote of all levy payers.  This is something we have also been clear on in all our consultation.  Therefore whatever comes in place during the first year remains for six years, unless levy payers themselves wish to change it.  Again, this is the same way other levy organisations operate, around 33 of them in total. 

To late to delete my post.

Me being a dick isn’t  helpful.

• Haha 5

8 hours ago, ApiNZ Levy Proposal said:

All votes will be weighted based on levy paid. 

good to see apinz engaging and finally answering this basic question clearly. Shame that it's so distasteful, i'll have to drink a beer to wash the disgust out. I suggest that many voters who voted yes are going to feel pretty stupid having read this answer. Nice work leaving the response so late in the piece...

@Dennis Crowley, no need for you to go look for the answer on weighted voting on levy spend any further (it would be easy to miss the post where the question has now been addressed). I am curious though, did you know that this was how levy spend would be determined?

If you control fewer then 50,000 hives then you'll effectively have little to no voice in how the levy is spent, but you could potentially still be paying a material amount of your turnover as a levy.

Handing control of levy spend to massive payers is interesting, lucky that the outcome of the vote doesn't give apinz a mandate to claim to represent nz beekeepers. Simply a mandate to manage levy spend.

Edited by tommy dave
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, john berry said:

the longer they postponed answering this question, the more time there was for eligible voters to vote 'yes' in the misguided assumption that they would have a say in the levy spend that was based on the democracy most familiar to all of us (one person, one vote rather than one dollar, one vote)

sounds like someone at apinz sucks at their job given the inconsistency between the different documents etc available from the same source...

and interesting to see the "well, you should have gone to a meeting then" card being played, defensive of their incompetence much?

Edited by tommy dave

Just one question I need an answer for. @ApiNZ Levy Proposal@ApiNZ Science & Research@Dennis Crowley

Imagine I have 100 hives and my neighbour has 1000 hives.

Suppose the levy passes and we are voting on how the levy is spent.

With the amount of hive numbers mentioned above will me and my neighbour get the same number of votes or does my neighbour have a higher number of votes?

I just want a clear cut answer. Something like my neighbour will get more say or more votes or something like both of us will have the same say and equal voting rights.

Please give an answer to this.

1 minute ago, Jose Thayil said:

Just one question I need an answer for. @ApiNZ Levy Proposal@ApiNZ Science & Research@Dennis Crowley

Imagine I have 100 hives and my neighbour has 1000 hives.

Suppose the levy passes and we are voting on how the levy is spent.

With the amount of hive numbers mentioned above will me and my neighbour get the same number of votes or does my neighbour have a higher number of votes?

I just want a clear cut answer. Something like my neighbour will get more say or more votes or something like both of us will have the same say and equal voting rights.

Please give an answer to this.

answer from apinz quoted in my answer above. It is based on honey extracted for commercial use as this is what levy is determined on.

If your neighbour produces the same per hive as you then they get ten times as much say.

Does that help?

If I was a massive corporate (I’m not!) and I was paying a levy on say 500T of honey harvested (what is that - $50K?) frankly I would expect to have a more weighted vote than some fella down the road with 20 hives producing 1T of honey being levied $100.

I appreciate As smaller producers (mostly) that we look at it the other way around, but if you put yourself if the big producers shoes, you would probably feel the same.

imagine if it was 1 beekeeper 1 vote - all the little beekeepers could decide that long hives were the future or we should be relying on thymol for varroa control - imagine if our hard earned dollars were spent on that.

for my business, I’m relatively comfortable that the research a big corporate votes for is likely to be of some value to my business.  Not always what I would want to see the money spent on but overall probably useful. And as a small producer I probably can’t ask for much more than that.

im less comfortable with the admin proportion and the possibility of people sitting comfy on a nice salary working 9-5 while I’m out in 35 degrees harvesting all

hours in a beesuit.

but life is not perfect - I’m still voting yes.

• Agree 2

So I produce 1000kg from 10 hives and sell all the honey myself at markets internally the way the wording is I do not have to pay a levy.Am I correct?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Bighands said:

So I produce 1000kg from 10 hives and sell all the honey myself at markets internally the way the wording is I do not have to pay a levy.Am I correct?

You have no more than 26 hives so no levy no vote. 

17 minutes ago, Bighands said:

as far as i can tell

no vote on the levy proposal

10 cents per kg levy if it's introduced

NO,as far as I understand only if it goes through a rmp registered honey extraction plant.If sold in nz only all I need is a health cert or food safety 1

• Good Info 1

32 minutes ago, Bighands said:

NO,as far as I understand only if it goes through a rmp registered honey extraction plant.If sold in nz only all I need is a health cert or food safety 1

i was basing it on the following two statements from various apinz sites etc:

" Applied to honey extracted for commercial purposes "

" In the first year all producers of honey in New Zealand with an annual production of 750 kg or more will be levied at $0.10 per kilogram of harvested honey "

i can see what you mean re registered extraction plants though - sounds like @ApiNZ Levy Proposal need to step up with an answer

58 minutes ago, Pinnacle said:

If I was a massive corporate (I’m not!) and I was paying a levy on say 500T of honey harvested (what is that - $50K?) frankly I would expect to have a more weighted vote than some fella down the road with 20 hives producing 1T of honey being levied $100.

I appreciate As smaller producers (mostly) that we look at it the other way around, but if you put yourself if the big producers shoes, you would probably feel the same.

imagine if it was 1 beekeeper 1 vote - all the little beekeepers could decide that long hives were the future or we should be relying on thymol for varroa control - imagine if our hard earned dollars were spent on that.

for my business, I’m relatively comfortable that the research a big corporate votes for is likely to be of some value to my business.  Not always what I would want to see the money spent on but overall probably useful. And as a small producer I probably can’t ask for much more than that.

im less comfortable with the admin proportion and the possibility of people sitting comfy on a nice salary working 9-5 while I’m out in 35 degrees harvesting all

hours in a beesuit.

but life is not perfect - I’m still voting yes.

At last - the most sensible and realistic comment I have seen on this subject.  Of course those contributing the most $$ are entitled to more voting power!!  I really don’t understand what some of the anti levy contributors on here think the corporates will vote for.  We are all beekeepers and any marketing, health or honey research will benefit us all - corporate or not!!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1