ApiNZ Levy Proposal

ApiNZ's Amended 2018 Commodity Levy Proposal

3 minutes ago, Ted said:

At last - the most sensible and realistic comment I have seen on this subject.  Of course those contributing the most $$ are entitled to more voting power!!  I really don’t understand what some of the anti levy contributors on here think the corporates will vote for.  We are all beekeepers and any marketing, health or honey research will benefit us all - corporate or not!!

what if they vote for levy to be 100% spent on lobbying for only those who control more than 50,000 hives being allowed to keep hives within 3km of the DoC estate?

which they could do. And if you were to moan about that, then, well...

Edited by tommy dave
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, tommy dave said:

what if they vote for levy to be 100% spent on lobbying for only those who control more than 20,000 hives being allowed to keep hives within 3km of the DoC estate?

Because our elected beekeeper board members wouldn’t allow the levy to be wasted in such a manner and so it would never be put forward as an option to vote on.  Far too many conspiracy theories floating around here.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Ted said:

Because our elected beekeeper board members wouldn’t allow the levy to be wasted in such a manner and so it would never be put forward as an option to vote on.  Far too many conspiracy theories floating around here.

glad that you have faith in non-representative democracy. I hope that you are right.

• Agree 3

And still my what I thought was a very simple question has not been answered. How will the Votes be weighted. Under the old NBA we had a weighted voting system depending on the number of hives you had. The number of votes went up in simple steps but there was a maximum no matter how many hives you had.Does the Weighting system under the proposed levy have steps and does it have a cap.

Edited by john berry
Spelling mistake
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, ApiNZ Science & Research said:

Fair enough comment @Bushy that it is not just research involved with the levy . . . but as the letter was written by the chair of the science group (and former president of NBA), I think its equally fair that it focused on that aspect. It is also from someone - like you - who can put this in a wider historical context  ie was around when the last levy came in and then disappeared

Who was it who said (in another thread perhaps) that the definition of insanity is to keep doing the same thing and expect a different result? Possibly one of your own people.......

17 minutes ago, john berry said:

And still my what I thought was a very simple question has not been answered. How will the Votes be weighted. Under the old NBA we had a weighted voting system depending on the number of hives you had. The number of votes went up in simple steps but there was a maximum no matter how many hives you had.Does the Weighting system under the proposed levy have steps and does it have a cap.

levy spend decisions weighted on amount of levy paid, no cap

13 minutes ago, tommy dave said:

That is my understanding from reading the info also.

in the year prior to any vote taking place, if you produced 0.02% of the honey per records received from extractors, you will have paid 0.02% of the levy and therefore get 0.02% weight for your vote.

i invite APINZ to correct me if I've got that wrong?

Edited by Pinnacle

9 minutes ago, tommy dave said:

Coupled with APINZ's early claim of having over 50% of NZ hives in the bag with their 10% (give or take a little) of beekeeper membership it is plain that those will be a small group of high hive number concerns that will essentially control the industry through APINZ.

Research area spending not the greatest concern excepting it would be interesting to see who the beneficiaries turn out to be! It begins to feel like we are intended to be contributing to a benevolent fund for researchers in case they founder without us. There being no clear plan and all.

The weighting of levy spend voting is an indication of what we prospective victims will experience in the future.

Of far greater concern is what else will follow!

• Agree 2

16 hours ago, ApiNZ Levy Proposal said:

These questions are all addressed here:

https://apinz.org.nz/levy/

This was also covered extensively during consultation meetings.  I hope you managed to attend one.

Under the Commodity Levies Act we are only required to "discuss" investment plans.  We have elected to go a step further and add voting on levy investment plans.  This actually gives levy payers even more say.  

Plans will be presented well ahead of ApiNZ's AGM for feedback.  Voting on the plan will take place both by post (for those who can't attend the AGM) and at the AGM.

The Commodity Levies Act is also very clear that levy paying Board members have the final say over levy investment.  

Voting will be weighted on levy paid.  

It is good to see the questions focusing on how the levy will work in practice once it is in place.  

Yes I did get to a meeting thanks. Shame facts at that meeting were different from what we were presented in your current voting papers, which incidentally are now different from your answer above.

You did not actually answer why the voting rules attached to voting papers are different to the pretty levy brochure, except you and I both know most people would never read the "rules" document.

But since ApiNZ is changing rules on the fly, can you please confirm that  ApiNZ will now use a full postal vote of levy payers when seeking an increase of levy from 10 to 15 cents as opposed to only a majority vote of those present at the AGM.

Or are your official voting rules wrong on this one as well.

• Like 2

@tommy dave Once the levy order is in place all honey sold for commercial purposes (where the beekeeper produces more than 750kg in a year) is liable for a levy. This includes honey that goes through RMP plants as well as that extracted for domestic sale

42 minutes ago, ApiNZ Levy Proposal said:

@tommy dave Once the levy order is in place all honey sold for commercial purposes (where the beekeeper produces more than 750kg in a year) is liable for a levy. This includes honey that goes through RMP plants as well as that extracted for domestic sale

So if it's not for sale but is over the 750kgs is there still a levy to pay 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ApiNZ Levy Proposal said:

@john berry yes voting on levy investment is weighted.  Each $ of levy paid is equal to one vote. I hope this helps

Thank you.  Finally, the answer we have asked for.

• Like 1

On 12/02/2019 at 8:02 AM, Bushy said:

Nice article thanks for sending it through, except we are not voting on a research ONLY levy we are voting on a complete shift in NZ Beekeeper administration. That is a way bigger picture than what this article portrays and for you (who ever you are) to not understand that is a massive concern.

Since ApiNZ staff have now refused to answer the many questions put to them, I can only assume they really don't care in general (unlikely) or that they just don't care about anyone on this forum. 

It it is now time for me to vote.

may be they have had a heads up on the way the voting is gong