ApiNZ Levy Proposal

ApiNZ's Amended 2018 Commodity Levy Proposal

Beekeeper Forum October Post

Apiculture New Zealand (ApiNZ) has now completed nine Commodity Levy roadshow meetings around the country during August and early September.

We enjoyed the opportunity to meet with many of you and discuss the levy proposal. We are especially grateful to those who have taken the time to attend a meeting and/or give us feedback.  This is an important step for our industry and it is important that we take the time to get this right. 

Key feedback themes from these meetings included:

• Support for honey as the commodity collected as opposed to hive numbers

• Some support for a tiered levy system, with manuka honey paying a higher levy than non-manuka

• The levy being applied to a broader base of honey products, including comb honey production

• Seeking additional levy-payer representation on the Board to ensure that levy payers are well represented

• Questions around the ability to track and to audit honey volumes at the time of voting

• Requests for additional time to consider this proposal and to vote.

Amended Commodity Levy proposal

As a result of these themes, ApiNZ’s Board is proposing an amended commodity levy proposal:

• $0.10 per kg on all harvested honey

• Cut comb honey is included in the levy (also at $0.10 per kg)

• ApiNZ Board numbers will be changed reflecting stronger commodity levy representation on the Board to include 5 (levy payers): 2 (market): 1 (non-commercial)

• An extension to the consultation and voting timeline as follows:

• Feedback on amended proposal (October 2018 to December 2018)

• Voting opens 1 February 2019 and closes 1 March 2019

The levy remains based on honey volumes as the commodity collected.  Honey is the economic output and can be practically accounted for at collection point; it also reflects seasonal variation, e.g. higher levies collected in a strong season vs lower levies over a poor season. 

There will be no levy on annual honey volumes of under 750kg.  This captures the majority of beekeepers (95% of all hives).

Providing Feedback

We welcome your input into this proposal.

There is more information available on our website www.apinz.org.nz/levy

And on this flyer:

https://apinz.org.nz/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/0876_ApiNZ_Commodity_Levy_web.pdf

There is a form on our levy website for sending us your feedback.  You can also e-mail us levy@apinz.org.nz at any time or else call us on 04 471 6254

Edited by Trevor Gillbanks
typo as requested.
  • Thanks 1

An extension to the consultation and voting timeline as follows:

• Feedback on amended proposal (October 2018 to December 2019)

Can someone explain these dates please

Good question 

looks like the consultation process is

Oct 2018 to Dec 3019

but voting starts before the consultation process has finished? 

1 Feb 2019 to 1March 2019

From the ApiNZ web site, this would be a typo for Dec (should be 2018?)

Edited by Beefriendly

Oh for goodness sake! October to December for consultation! I don't even talk to my own family then I'm too damn busy! 

• Agree 2
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, Philbee said:

Someone forgot to proof read ??

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, Bron said:

Oh for goodness sake! October to December for consultation! I don't even talk to my own family then I'm too damn busy! 

It would seem it wasn’t considered that this is one of the busiest times of the season for commercial Beeks...

10 hours ago, Bron said:

This excuse always comes up.  Can you tell me a time that would suit beekeepers.  If you just went for the winter option, then the excuse will be that we are on holiday and I am not going to consider the bees during this time either.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, ApiNZ Levy Proposal said:

There will be no levy on annual honey volumes of under 750kg.  This captures the majority of beekeepers (95% of all hives).

I think that one of the two words highlighted red needs to be changed?

i'd have to check the numbers, but i thought that most registered beekeepers had hardly any hives and were never going to be extracting 750+kg of honey for sale?

makes sense that it would cover 95% of registered hives though.

i was also under the impression that the way in which levy revenue would be spent was also a key point of feedback, not mentioned above though.

Edited by tommy dave

Beekeepers have until February 2019 to consider this proposal.  

This is extended consultation in addition to the consultation that ApiNZ has been undertaking since July of this year.  We appreciate that it is a busy time of year for everyone.  Full details are explained in the brochure, which you should all have soon.

2 hours ago, tommy dave said:

I think that one of the two words highlighted red needs to be changed?

i'd have to check the numbers, but i thought that most registered beekeepers had hardly any hives and were never going to be extracting 750+kg of honey for sale?

makes sense that it would cover 95% of registered hives though.

i was also under the impression that the way in which levy revenue would be spent was also a key point of feedback, not mentioned above though.

Go to the link provided  for the flyer and website, this is just a quick summary.

those with 25 or less hives only make up 3% of all hive holdings, and on industry average of 30kg/hive only 3.5% of honey production.

750kg is 25 hives x industry average of approx 30kg/hive.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Good Info 1

3 hours ago, Beefriendly said:

It would seem it wasn’t considered that this is one of the busiest times of the season for commercial Beeks...

Yeah Nah, beeks don't seem to have a time when they are happy, damed if you do and damed if you don't.

• Agree 2
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Bron said:

14 hours ago, Philbee said:

Typo, December 2018 i.e. end of this year

2 hours ago, Dennis Crowley said:

Go to the link provided  for the flyer and website, this is just a quick summary.

those with 25 or less hives only make up 3% of all hive holdings, and on industry average of 30kg/hive only 3.5% of honey production.

750kg is 25 hives x industry average of approx 30kg/hive.

thanks - recommend an edit = this covers 95% of registered hives (and get rid of the word beekeepers altogether!)

also - i want to commend you/api nz on the flyer produced. Decent piece of work.

Edited by tommy dave

Just now, tommy dave said:

thanks - recommend an edit = this covers 95% of registered hives (and get rid of the word beekeepers altogether!)

Unsure if that is needed, but will look into it, but if you include all the workers who work for registered beekeepers you might fine that it still does capture 95% of beekeepers.

• Like 1

On ‎5‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 9:41 PM, Bron said:

By the time the final vote is in, beekeepers will have had over six months to think about it and consult.  The Levy was announced at the Blenheim conference in July.

On 6/10/2018 at 8:37 AM, Trevor Gillbanks said:

This excuse always comes up.  Can you tell me a time that would suit beekeepers.  If you just went for the winter option, then the excuse will be that we are on holiday and I am not going to consider the bees during this time either.

For us  winter is the time to review the season see what worked what didn’t see where we could change things , improve things or even completely change focus.

For us winter is most definitely the time for making important decisions and researching reading about levies or whatever else of importance needs attending too.

Spring/summer is a ridiculous time to make important decisions or attend meetings. It might work if you have staff who can continue working but for those who are self employed we work from dawn to after dark 7 days a week we don’t have time to take time off in the afternoon to attend meetings.

• Agree 4

Aaah sheuit .... I missed the darn meeting ..... musta been too busy grafting or feeding or splitting ..... or  fixing the breakdowns ..... or rehydrating .

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, jamesc said:

Aaah sheuit .... I missed the darn meeting ..... musta been too busy grafting or feeding or splitting ..... or  fixing the breakdowns ..... or rehydrating .

We missed ours too for exactly the same reason 

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, frazzledfozzle said:

We missed ours too for exactly the same reason 

I didn't know you were into Dr Speights too

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, frazzledfozzle said:

Funnily enough ....

image.jpg

Well I never .... another disciple come out of the closet.

• Haha 1

i took this pic a few days ago for some beer lovers

bee_r_pic.PNG

48 minutes ago, tommy dave said:

i took this pic a few days ago for some beer lovers

bee_r_pic.PNG

wot .... not another closet connesuer

• Like 1

We will be voting NO

IMHO the single most important thing we should be spending levy money on is marketing non Manuka honey.

This comes in a long way down the list.

Have a look at the top 10 projects indicated as important by people who have done the survey and see how that will help your business in real terms over the next few years.

This alone is enough for us to vote no.

From NZ Beekeeping  

Why you should vote AGAINST the Apiculture NZ Levy proposal
Apiculture NZ is holding a postal referendum in February on a proposal for a compulsory Commodity Levy on Honey. The Levy would be a tax paid on honey production, with the funds going to Apiculture NZ. The referendum is required by law if a levy is to be imposed. Over half the prospective levy payers who vote need to vote ‘yes’ for the proposal to succeed (and the “YES” votes represent more than half of the total registered beehives of those who voted).
NZ Beekeeping Inc represents mainly small and mid-size, usually family beekeeping businesses.
We will be voting NO on the proposal, and we urge you to do the same.
The proposed Levy would hurt struggling beekeepers financially, and yet not be used effectively to solve the industry’s growing problems – like falling prices, biosecurity risks (especially American Foulbrood and Small Hive Beetle), and over stocking, for example.
Apiculture NZ is the wrong organisation to manage industry funds – it lacks beekeeper focus, is a poor communicator on beekeeping matters, is too dominated by larger corporate players, too focused on manuka honey, and has shown itself unwilling to really confront MPI’s poor record as a regulator. Management of the AFB programme – using levy funds - has been poor – and acknowledged as such, and yet the ‘solution’ was to try to reward poor performance with more money. We see no signs that these weaknesses are being tackled. Supporting the Commodity levy proposal would send good money after bad.
But, whatever you think, it’s important to VOTE: a levy would be with us for many years – and not voting weakens the collective voice of ordinary, hardworking beekeepers. We all deserve to be heard, and so we need to make sure we all vote.
The industry’s problems are real. Prices are falling, AFB is rising, there are other biosecurity risks facing us all, MPI seems hopelessly adrift. There are other issues too. We do need shared solutions.
So, defeating the Apiculture NZ proposal is just the start. NZ Beekeeping would work across the industry to really identify problems and genuinely agree on:
a) the issues facing the industry
b) the priority of these issues (what’s most important and urgent), and
c) the best way to really tackle the priority problems to benefit all beekeepers.
Whatever we do needs to have beekeepers and good beekeeping at its heart.
 Get involved – Vote! And join an organisation, and say what you think
 Vote NO to the Apiculture NZ Commodity Levy idea
 Help beekeeper - led organisations like NZ Beekeeping work out how to
really tackle the problems facing us, our bees and our businesses.
JANE LORIMER President
 NEW ZEALAND BEEKEEPING INCORPORATED | Email info@nzbeekeeping.co.nz | January 2019

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

32 minutes ago, frazzledfozzle said:

We will be voting NO

IMHO the single most important thing we should be spending levy money on is marketing non Manuka honey.

This comes in a long way down the list.

Have a look at the top 10 projects indicated as important by people who have done the survey and see how that will help your business in real terms over the next few years.

This alone is enough for us to vote no.

From NZ Beekeeping  

I also will be voting No.

The SNI Group is also advising to vote No.

It is important that every beekeeper with 40 plus hives votes, otherwise we may get steamrolled by the corporates.

• Agree 3