Tom Woods

Genetically engineered bees and NZ honey brands?

Hello,

A question I put to you is -

In your opinion what affect would the introduction of genetically engineered bees to NZ have on existing commercial honey brands?

Thanks for any replies.

Given we export most of our product , it can only have a negative effect on most markets that buy because NZ is isolated , miles from anywhere and perceived as being free of all that nonsense ........ at this stage .

The same goes for any product we are exporting from here to the rest of the world. 

There may be short term gain from GM anything , but I see long term benefits from being GM free as it’s very difficult for the rest of the world to be and it offers us a point of difference which can be spun positively  , while the rest of the world inevitably tries to reverse the damage created 

Edited by M4tt
  • Like 1
  • Agree 5

Thanks M4tt,

Perceived is critical word there. Marketing is all about human perception is it not and reality takes a back seat to it. I expect if someone famous enough overseas stated a rumor on social media that NZ product X was 'super healthy' despite it being provably not its sales would still increase simply due to perception, and perhaps a bit of follow the celebrity leader. (I perceive it's true so it must be true).

Unfortunately, from the looks of it NZ is about to alter its stance on GE organisms from what both the outgoing and incoming Chief science advisors have fairly recently said.

• Sad 1

How many hives do you have Tom?

I have no hives Alastair but am very interested in the opinions of apiarists as to what the impact of transgenic bees would have on NZ native bees/pollinators along with the hobbyist/commercial apiarist. What M4tt wrote basically sums up the commercial viewpoint.

There'd hopefully be no interbreeding of transgenic and natural bees (I think, yet Mother natures cunning) but they'd compete for the same food resources as the natural bees/pollinators.

With the sure-to-be-coming change in our GE stance public 'perception' of GE honey being manufactured here would be of great concern not only to the consumers but the suppliers businesses.

Change is in the air.

https://www.msn.com/en-nz/news/national/nz-needs-to-rethink-genetic-engineering-stance-experts/ar-AAzt9Eb?li=BBqdg4K&ocid=mailsignout

It will be interesting when we have programmable robot bees .

Like micro drones.

We would not need queens at all then . Or drones .

No AFB or varroa .

4 minutes ago, kaihoka said:

It will be interesting when we have programmable robot bees .

Like micro drones.

We would not need queens at all then . Or drones .

No AFB or varroa .

We'll need those when the GE bees have contaminated normal bees, and all bee pollinated crops, which can never be reversed. It astounds me that so-called intelligent scientists still think that GE is OK. If they want to study it, then get the heck out of NZ, and go to where ever  it is already contaminating the environment.

• Agree 5

They're already working on robot bees in the UK and elsewhere. Lots of different and very ugly prototypes but soon enough they'll miniturise them further and perfect a basic design.

As for genetically modified transgenic bees, well Monsanto has already made them. (The way of the future!) Sarc

Monsanto unveils a neonicotinoid-pesticide-resistant transgenic bee.
http://www.scienceinfo.news/monsanto-unveils-neonicotinoid-pesticide-resistant-transgenic-bee/

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Tom Woods said:

They're already working on robot bees in the UK and elsewhere. Lots of different and very ugly prototypes but soon enough they'll miniturise them further and perfect a basic design.

As for genetically modified transgenic bees, well Monsanto has already made them. (The way of the future!) Sarc

Monsanto unveils a neonicotinoid-pesticide-resistant transgenic bee.
http://www.scienceinfo.news/monsanto-unveils-neonicotinoid-pesticide-resistant-transgenic-bee/

I wonder if Monsanto (Beyer) is run and operated by robots??? because it doesn't really seem possible that normal humans can think that what they do is logical, rational, sensible, while making new organisms up and then telling everyone there is no possibility of damage in the medium or long term. That can only be from programmed robot non-thinking circuit boards.

• Agree 1

It's the logic of $$$. How do you protect your profitable neonicotinoid /glyphosate business? Build better bees!

More neonicotinoid resistant sterile bees = more chemical sales + a captive market for annual pollination once native/non-GE populations die off from toxicity. Initial transgenic bee development costs recovered and easy money from then on out.

Ask yourself, would you eat the honey?

• Good Info 1

1 hour ago, Tom Woods said:

I have no hives 

I could tell.

Just came here to push a political agenda.

• Agree 5

What 'political' agenda Alastair? Where's my politics?

Please point it out to me if you'd be so kind.

Oh please.

You don't have bees, you never had bees, you never gonna have bees, you don't want to have bees, you came here to push your views on GM.

Edited by Alastair

A simple response somewhat lacking in both thought and clarity but I see that Nikki Watts agrees with you so that’s OK. Wouldn’t it have been better to have actually thoroughly read the posted links articles and made the connection instead of me having to lead you by the nose to the blindingly obvious?  No. I guess not. Much easier to simply yell ‘political agenda’ and dismiss it entirely.

My initial question was to try and lead you lot to the truth of the matter of NZ and transgenic bees. Remember, they're YOUR hives at stake. Not mine. YOUR businesses/brands at stake. Not mine. However the indigenous pollinators and introduced natural bees in NZ are OURS and shouldn't be trifled with by foreign governments and corporations for profit!

But... it's already too late anyway. NZ and Aussie are both field test sites for Monsanto’s transgenic bee. The fist link I posted about the NZ GE ‘Re-think’ is actually the ‘Acceptance Phase' of the operation’.

The transgenic bee was created via a new and dangerous technology called
Gene Drive
which incidentally is also known as ‘Extinction Technology’

NZ and Australia mentioned in first paragraph above ABOUT THE RECORDS. http://www.synbiowatch.org/2017/12/the-gene-drive-files/

If there’s further interest and this account hasn’t been terminated I’ll post more later today.

I’m actually rather tired of tying to give NZ apiarists a heads up about this. This is my last attempt. If this fails then you’re on your own.

Good Luck.

• Spoon 1
  • Chill Out 2

Edited To: Oh please. You don't have bees, you never had bees, you never gonna have bees, you don't want to have bees, you came here to push your views on GM.

Well that's better than the first 'Oh please.' No I don't have bees and haven't had bees but I certainly would like to have bees sometime in the future. As for my (non-political) views on GM who cares what they are. The simple fact, that I have provided evidence for,  is that you, the entire NZ beekeeping community and NZ honey brands are soon to be stuffed by NZ field trials of the transgenic bee. Do you really think that overseas folks are going to say. 'Well the official test sites are here and here and this honey supposedly comes from somewhere else so it should be safe?'

Suck it up Alastair.

Better still scream and shout about it from the rooftops!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Alastair said:

I could tell.

Just came here to push a political agenda.

Even though the link was to a satirical magazine it is probably possible to eventually make a transgenic cyborg bee.

Even if the economics do not stack up intellectual curiosity does run humans down some  pretty dumb roads .

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, kaihoka said:

Even if the economics do not stack up intellectual curiosity does run humans down some  pretty dumb roads .

A transgenic possum makes very good sense to me. 

• Agree 1
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, yesbut said:

A transgenic possum makes very good sense to me. 

There is actually a lot of genetic engineering that makes good sense 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, Tom Woods said:

I certainly would like to have bees sometime in the future.

Sure. IF that ever happens you are welcome back, as one of us. Let's know.

Mean time, if you want to continue trolling our site with politics, and posting links to satire over to you, I just wanted people to be aware they are talking to a shill.

Edited by Alastair
  • Like 2
  • Agree 3

1 minute ago, Alastair said:

talking to a shill.

Shill. , is a new word for me .

• Agree 1

Shill has several connotations, google will give you several variants. In the context I meant it is someone fronting a particular agenda (GM), while pretending he is concerned with a different agenda (the price of honey). Basically it means someone pretending to be one thing, to promote something else.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

I personally hope we NEVER  get GM modified bees.I saw 1st hand what the Canadians went through with GM canola and the reaction in the German market.The Apis Melifera will never cross with our native bee so no worries there.It will never happen in N

• Like 1

Just now, Bighands said:

I personally hope we NEVER  get GM modified bees.I saw 1st hand what the Canadians went through with GM canola and the reaction in the German market.The Apis Melifera will never cross with our native bee so no worries there.It will never happen in N

continued,in Northland as they are G.E. free

Don't worry. Maybe sometime thousands of years from now. Realise the article Tom linked is satire, not truth. 

Hey, if someone could GM me a bee that don't swarm, I'd be in, LOL ?

• Agree 1
  • Haha 1