Tomm

NZBF Dead queen-Where she gone

Ive a bit of a problem.On the Ak beekeeping site under" notices" I saw a method of swarm prevention.As I had a large number of bees I thought I would follow that method,First problem, I couldn't find the queen.Anyway I thought I would go ahead with the two hives as at least one would have a queen.I was able to buy a mated queen ( Don't think she was very good at all.When I set her down on the frames no bees clustered around her as has happened at other times.She seemed very small also and she and her workers were not moving much..How did I know which hive to put her in u ask? well On each brood box I sat another box with drawn out frames.One hr later one of the top box was still empty whilst the other box on the other hive had bees everywhere and the bees were out gathering goods.So I chose the box with no action to put the queen in..I will wait 3 days? and see if new queen out of cage(not very hopeful) or should I wait a week and try another queen..or wait for them to produce their own??

Looking at your questions in your previous posts, I think it would be in your best interests to either join a bee keeping club, or spent some time with an experienced beekeeper. By doing this your will learn some very valuable skills and some answers to your questions.

• Agree 2

You have likely chosen correctly, but there are many factors at play in this scenario... so just leave it all for now and do a really quick check in  a week to see if the cage is empty. 

Right now do as @BeeGirl says. And also buy a copy of Practical Bee Keeping In New Zealand. 

Why do hobby beeks buy queens ?

• Agree 1

49 minutes ago, M4tt said:

Because it is the thing to do.  It is on the forum and Facebook.

Just the same as "Why do hobbyists, feed bees"

• Agree 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, M4tt said:

I have , just to get some different genetics .

But now I like to see how my quite different queens progeny work out .

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, kaihoka said:

I have , just to get some different genetics .

But now I like to see how my quite different queens progeny work out .

I wonder why most don’t let the split make a queen. It’s far more interesting and there is no real urgency for the genuine hobbyist

• Agree 2

I have a very hands off approach when it comes to queens and her replacements.  Mostly my colonies do an awesome job of choosing a head for their household without any interference from me.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

12 hours ago, Tomm said:

Ive a bit of a problem.On the Ak beekeeping site under" notices" I saw a method of swarm prevention.As I had a large number of bees I thought I would follow that method,First problem, I couldn't find the queen.Anyway I thought I would go ahead with the two hives as at least one would have a queen.I was able to buy a mated queen ( Don't think she was very good at all.When I set her down on the frames no bees clustered around her as has happened at other times.She seemed very small also and she and her workers were not moving much..How did I know which hive to put her in u ask? well On each brood box I sat another box with drawn out frames.One hr later one of the top box was still empty whilst the other box on the other hive had bees everywhere and the bees were out gathering goods.So I chose the box with no action to put the queen in..I will wait 3 days? and see if new queen out of cage(not very hopeful) or should I wait a week and try another queen..or wait for them to produce their own??

Lol

Good on you for having a go Tomm
If you read watch and listen you will do OK.
Mind you you might spend a bit but not as much as owning a Motor Bike and definitely less than a girlfriend

• Agree 1
  • Haha 4