Trevor Gillbanks

October 2018 Apiary Diary

On 7/10/2018 at 5:28 PM, Stoney said:

She’s correct. I’ve eaten it raw. Preferably not crawling with varroa though. 

Bbq it crispy would be my pick them dip in a beech honeydew and soy mixture.. mmm 

nar, put them in a bowl of beer batter and a quick deep fry, better than chips

Time you went back to work

1 minute ago, yesbut said:

Time you went back to work

I am. Just not being very productive.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, cBank said:

That’s ok - just don’t cross the streams.

Still puzzling this one?

44 minutes ago, Markypoo said:

Its a fact positrons don't react like that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0pnTm-KK9k

None the wiser...

great YouTube clip....

googled positron ?

1 hour ago, Beefriendly said:

Still puzzling this one?

None the wiser...

great YouTube clip....

googled positron ?

The first was a quote from Ghostbusters.

The second was a quote from Epic Rap Battles of History - Ghostbusters versus  Mythbusters.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@M4tt tuff love for that hive . :6_smile:

• Agree 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, kaihoka said:

@M4tt tuff love for that hive . :6_smile:

Tough love . I like my bees better when they are in my own hives ?

• Agree 2
  • Haha 1

53 minutes ago, M4tt said:

I left three partial frames of capped brood in the original hive with no eggs and empty frames if the queen wishes to lay.

Next week, if that cooling off treatment was not enough, the queen shall be artificially swarmed into a box in my vehicle and off to another apiary with half her bees, leaving one queen cell in the original box. 

@M4tt was this a single FD hive? or have you reduced it to a single?

I was on swarm control today as both my hives have been busy building cells but the second I opened the hive half of it went into the air. Has anyone had that happen before?  bit of a surprise.

I'm feeling that my first swarm season has been a bit of a fail. 

I now have another hive. 

Just now, Beefriendly said:

@M4tt was this a single FD hive? or have you reduced it to a single?

Good question ?

It’s a double FD hive with lots of stores up top, mostly fresh nectar. I haven’t seen blueberries yield this much nectar before , but then everything is flowering with extravagance this year so it may or may not be blueberry nectar. 

There is no brood up in the top box. 

Ive left it as a double with all the top box frames left as is.

In the bottom box , the three brood frames are together in the centre with empty frames outside of that. I fully expect them to start filling them with nectar. I doubt the queen will suddenly lay properly again because of my manipulation, but she’s going to have to lay something if they want to make more queens. 

• Good Info 1

4 minutes ago, Hellsbelle said:

I was on swarm control today as both my hives have been busy building cells but the second I opened the hive half of it went into the air. Has anyone had that happen before?  bit of a surprise.

I'm feeling that my first swarm season has been a bit of a fail. 

I now have another hive. 

Yes ?

If you see grubs in queen cells or even eggs in cells, you need to act pretty fast to curb them , but it is quite surreal being in a swarm 

• Like 1

So @M4tt, when  you just start to think you’re onto it, checking the hives out for signs of swarm preparation. Identifying play cups, that have may or may not have eggs and the number of drones and drone brood present...

they throw another curve ball and back fill, what should be the brood nest with nectar...

And starve the queen....

hence the need for weekly checks at this time of the year?

• Agree 1

23 minutes ago, M4tt said:

Yes ?

If you see grubs in queen cells or even eggs in cells, you need to act pretty fast to curb them , but it is quite surreal being in a swarm 

I love these big drastic manipulations, exciting..... but I take all capped brood out and only leave eggs and open brood, which smells different to capped brood, if  the bees are all lazy and hanging in chains, shrunken queen etc, I’ll go even more drastic and remove the queen and all queen cells leaving them queenless with fresh eggs.. which buys you time. 

Once multiple cups are built and before they’re layed. in is for me the time to split them hard.... no mercy. 

• Like 2
  • Good Info 1

10 minutes ago, Stoney said:

I love these big drastic manipulations, exciting..... but I take all capped brood out and only leave eggs and open brood, which smells different to capped brood, if  the bees are all lazy and hanging in chains, shrunken queen etc, I’ll go even more drastic and remove the queen and all queen cells leaving them queenless with fresh eggs.. which buys you time. 

Once multiple cups are built and before they’re layed. in is for me the time to split them hard.... no mercy. 

So when you leave them Queenless with fresh eggs, what’s your next step ?

Do do you go back and remove excess cells, add a cell  or requeen , from a commercials perspective ?

@M4tt my hive that swarmed was the one where I had trapped queen above excluder and the bees below the excluder had back filled most frames with honey .

In retrospect I should not have put the queen back down into the hive .

I should have had another plan once I had set things in motion.

strongest two box garden hive took a ride in the back of my car this evening, it's at a nice staging point until it's heads to the prison. Stopped and picked up another hive on the way too, same destination.

• Like 1

Just now, tommy dave said:

strongest two box garden hive took a ride in the back of my car this evening, it's at a nice staging point until it's heads to the prison. Stopped and picked up another hive on the way too, same destination.

Do you have to strip it down for a full search? 

• Haha 5

@M4tt I moved an old  queen last spring after I found lots of capped cells .

But I moved her with a virgin I had missed  seeing .

The old queen took off  in the next couple of days .

Pretty much on her own .

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, M4tt said:

It’s very hard for her to swarm with nurse bees that have never flown . 

M4tt, is there way to distinguish nurse bees from field bees on frames by their behaviour? 

I’m sure I should know answer to this but I don’t ...I must have missed this info basic in the Beekeeping in Nz book, or the Easy beekeeping guide in Resources,  I’ll have another look in there. Will also look at Trevor’s videos. (Still making my way through the 72 pages of BB forum posts -haven’t even got as far as Trevor’s videos yet or Easy beekeeping Guide in the Resources yet)

Checking weekly and observing hive entrance daily. I'm starting to worry I might have been seeing backfilling last check. There’s a lot of uncapped nectar and pollen coming in.

My mentor is inspecting my hive with me this Sunday because it’s swarming season, so hopefully I haven’t missed key indicators. I found two empty queen cups mid frame not even half drawn so play cups possibly, don’t think I missed other swarm or supercedure cups but might have.

They were very active and a seemed bit noisier yesterday before the rain fell. It was very humid and hot before rainfall.

All manner Nectar and pollen coming in. Saw watermelon coloured pollen in one field bees pollen baskets even. 

48 minutes ago, GoED said:

M4tt, is there way to distinguish nurse bees from field bees on frames by their behaviour? 

I’m sure I should know answer to this but I don’t ...I must have missed this info basic in the Beekeeping in Nz book, or the Easy beekeeping guide in Resources,  I’ll have another look in there. Will also look at Trevor’s videos. (Still making my way through the 72 pages of BB forum posts -haven’t even got as far as Trevor’s videos yet or Easy beekeeping Guide in the Resources yet)

Checking weekly and observing hive entrance daily. I'm starting to worry I might have been seeing backfilling last check. There’s a lot of uncapped nectar and pollen coming in.

My mentor is inspecting my hive with me this Sunday because it’s swarming season, so hopefully I haven’t missed key indicators. I found two empty queen cups mid frame not even half drawn so play cups possibly, don’t think I missed other swarm or supercedure cups but might have.

They were very active and a seemed bit noisier yesterday before the rain fell. It was very humid and hot before rainfall.

All manner Nectar and pollen coming in. Saw watermelon coloured pollen in one field bees pollen baskets even. 

You can’t beat that weekly check at this time of the year .

Nurse bees are just young bees that have not flown out of the hive yet. Field bees are flyers and are more mature. Nurse bees will be mostly in the brood area. You don’t need to identify them for splitting purposes because the nurse bees can’t fly back home and the field bees will, if they are close enough to the parent hive. If they are further aawy, they will reorientate.

Nurse bees are less active, fluffier and duller in colour than mature bees

• Thanks 1
  • Good Info 1

Thank you M4tt, that makes sense re nurse bees. 

My apologies everyone I think I should have started a new post instead of throw the nurse bee question in here. 

-I’m concerned its not the right or best way to use messaging.