Trevor Gillbanks

October 2018 Apiary Diary

The Rewa Rewa has just started flowering in this valley, along with kowhai and the little delicate fushia, kotukutuku, which has blue pollen.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Apihappy said:

Yes I did! They all resolutely walked out. I figured someone would start laying if they were queenless for too long, so I took the hive up to the ridge site and paper united them with my weakest hive. They are all happy now.

The swarm I caught,  I put in a HD corflute nuc with entrance disk on queen excluder setting .

It was most unhappy, I watched it continually try to reswarm.

But  It couldn't , so just settled on the front of the box completely covering it.

I set up a FD hive next to the nuc with a queen excluder on the bottom.

In the evening when most of the bees had gone back inside I transferred the frames into that .

All the outside bees I shook into a pile in front and the all trotted into their new home .

I will leave a week then check .

Once she starts laying I think she will stay .

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Apihappy said:

The Rewa Rewa has just started flowering in this valley, along with kowhai and the little delicate fushia, kotukutuku, which has blue pollen.

Do you think the rewa rewa will flower well this year ?

42 minutes ago, kaihoka said:

Do you think the rewa rewa will flower well this year ?

Yes i think it will be a boomer, there was none here at all last year so I'm guessing it will make up for it this year. Also the harakeke was a bust last year and it adds a certain dark flavour. 

3 hours ago, Apihappy said:

Yes i think it will be a boomer, there was none here at all last year so I'm guessing it will make up for it this year. Also the harakeke was a bust last year and it adds a certain dark flavour. 

i thought the rewa rewa must be going to flower well when i looked at how covered in buds my macadamia is.

• Agree 1

This cheeky thing almost got my lunch

Horse Thief.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 9

3 minutes ago, Alastair said:

Horse Thief.jpg

Nay.....

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

DECA just found in the letterbox. That’s good to have.

• Like 5
  • Good Info 1

14 minutes ago, cBank said:

DECA just found in the letterbox. That’s good to have.

Hope it’s yours ?

congrats ?

• Haha 3

16 hours ago, Alastair said:

Horse Thief.jpg

16 hours ago, Beefriendly said:

Nay.....

And some of you will remember 

A horse is a horse 

Of course of course

unless he’s a talking horse...

• Haha 2

LOL I do remember that, WAY back in the eons of time. What a crazy program, yet it was one of the most popular things on TV! xD

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Alastair said:

LOL I do remember that, WAY back in the eons of time. What a crazy program, yet it was one of the most popular things on TV! xD

I suppose before reality TV they had to fill screen time with something.

When we complain about the quality of TV programs it pays to remember shows like  Mister Ed.

I followed the flight path of a couple of the hives today..

to the Pittosporum that is in flower

C17CB104-2904-4C16-8693-62752513D2FB.thumb.jpeg.38a8c53633436e83c435d952d0a456a9.jpeg

• Like 3

Seriously hot here today - checked hives top to bottom and they are cranking. They are completely packed in. What I previously considered a grunty hive was actually empty. How commercials get through an apiary is beyond me, I’m knackered after 3 hives, a nuc and a new split.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Haha 7

34 minutes ago, cBank said:

I’m knackered after 3 hives, a nuc and a new split.

Himself had the afternoon off the hive checks, today

4 hives later and ,I agree @cBank

I did sugar shake them all. Try as I did, there where no varroa to be seen.

Edited by Beefriendly
  • Like 2

Mr Ed was on Maori television a few years ago. It was even funnier in Te reo.

• Haha 5

went through scattered hives in three wellington spots today. All booming and i need to get onto it and assemble a few more supers tonight or tomorrow. Didn't enjoy lifting a full fd super from the top of a five box stack, going to have to do something about that. The walkaway split i did last friday is behaving as expected = a strong queenright hive and a strong queenless hive with a few capped emergency cells. Debated splitting them both again, but decided against it for now, might change my mind tomorrow.

• Like 1

110B9C77-3BE3-49EA-81FE-ECB6738815AF.thumb.jpeg.d0cc3f2d4e2cd2a5702752d2f943e877.jpeg

Another bee on the same Pitto..5/10

Can bees collect both pollen and nectar when foraging?

Or are they either collecting pollen or nectar

So, after a search...apparently they can...

that would be quite a load to fly with

Bees can collect pollen, nectar or both on the same trip. After a period of bad weather they tend to concentrate on pollen while at the height of a major honey flow they often ignore pollen almost completely to concentrate on a rich nectar source.
I had an interesting request today while selling comb honey at the farmers market. A nice lady quite liked my honey but what she really wanted was some drone brood which she assured me was beautiful wrapped up in banana leaves with a bit of garlic and barbecued. She said it was pretty delicious just raw straight out of the hive as well. Perhaps there is a new market for someone out there.

• Good Info 1

19 minutes ago, john berry said:

Bees can collect pollen, nectar or both on the same trip. After a period of bad weather they tend to concentrate on pollen while at the height of a major honey flow they often ignore pollen almost completely to concentrate on a rich nectar source.
I had an interesting request today while selling comb honey at the farmers market. A nice lady quite liked my honey but what she really wanted was some drone brood which she assured me was beautiful wrapped up in banana leaves with a bit of garlic and barbecued. She said it was pretty delicious just raw straight out of the hive as well. Perhaps there is a new market for someone out there.

have shaken drone brood straight onto a bbq, its very nice and nutty, you should try it.

29 minutes ago, Dennis Crowley said:

have shaken drone brood straight onto a bbq, its very nice and nutty, you should try it.

Thanks but no..

I’ll save any for the chickens 

Crazy weekend- bait hive capture Friday and then my daughter drives through a swarm in 3 Kings and I grab my @Trevor Gillbanks swarm catching kit and find it 5 m up in a puri tree. Challenging but success and it’s now in the @Timw Warre. Should I AO vapor straight away?

4A1C3B1A-4872-40AE-8DF8-06E56D87A97D.jpeg

E4A6DA26-A6E8-4D48-AB8D-D2CAA311C264.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, john berry said:

She’s correct. I’ve eaten it raw. Preferably not crawling with varroa though. 

Bbq it crispy would be my pick them dip in a beech honeydew and soy mixture.. mmm 

9 minutes ago, Timw said:

Should I AO vapor straight away?

Not yet . Let them settle in . You don’t want to give them any excuse to fly away .

Has to be done before there is capped brood 

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 2
  • Good Info 1

My cell builders have gone from gentle hives to full on death mode with swarm cells all over the place.

Every year I have the same problem anyone know how to keep a cell builder strong and raising cells for weeks without going off the deep end.

Is it even possible ....

• Like 1