Trevor Gillbanks

October 2018 Apiary Diary

even strength walkaway split on a booming hive on friday, i'll check them at the weekend to identify which is queenless and will split it a bunch more depending on how many emergency cells they've produced. Reckon the one hive will have become half a dozen each with laying queens within a few weeks. Why did i do it? @Philbee posted a while back that i should stop spouting #### and start doing, so the taranaki empire is growing ;)

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, tommy dave said:

so the taranaki empire is growing

Why ?

Just now, yesbut said:

Why ?

i've got this idea that it would be nice to donate a tonne of honey to a foodbank, extracted and jarred up appropriately. This seems like the easiest way for me to do it.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, tommy dave said:

even strength walkaway split on a booming hive on friday, i'll check them at the weekend to identify which is queenless and will split it a bunch more depending on how many emergency cells they've produced. Reckon the one hive will have become half a dozen each with laying queens within a few weeks. Why did i do it? @Philbee posted a while back that i should stop spouting #### and start doing, so the taranaki empire is growing ;)

Often Im just kidding

• Good Info 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, tommy dave said:

i've got this idea that it would be nice to donate a tonne of honey to a foodbank, extracted and jarred up appropriately. This seems like the easiest way for me to do it.

At a cost to yourself of a thousand bux for extraction & packing ?  Be easier to donate the money I would have thought.

• Agree 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Making nucs but didn't have the 4WD today had to figure a new way to get stuff to and fro across a wet paddock. Working with Jessie Baker.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, jamesc said:

Talking of fire season ..... It seems to be getting dry here  and I wonder if it's a pre cursor to a long hot summer. The creek in the paddock where our heifers are calving has dried up and the creek that supplies house water is very low for this time of year. Things can change dramatically I know, it just seems early to be seeing very low water tables.  We had the Ballance fert man out today and he echoed my thinking. So where does that put us ..... good for queen mating ?

Yep, drier than “normal” for most.

C09FEC22-0595-498A-8B45-B6A69394B484.png

• Thanks 2

17 minutes ago, yesbut said:

At a cost to yourself of a thousand bux for extraction & packing ?  Be easier to donate the money I would have thought.

up to me i guess.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Hmm, it's been pretty wet here up till the recent dry few days then amazing how fast the dirt has dried out. Just hoping we do not go straight to drought. ?

11 hours ago, yesbut said:

a cost to yourself of a thousand bux for extraction & packing ?  Be easier to donate the money I would have thought

Most thinking is best done inside the head. ?

10 hours ago, Alastair said:

Hmm, it's been pretty wet here up till the recent dry few days then amazing how fast the dirt has dried out. Just hoping we do not go straight to drought. ?

Changing climate patterns means no one is confident about predicting long term weather any more .

13 hours ago, jamesc said:

Talking of fire season ..... It seems to be getting dry here  and I wonder if it's a pre cursor to a long hot summer. The creek in the paddock where our heifers are calving has dried up and the creek that supplies house water is very low for this time of year. Things can change dramatically I know, it just seems early to be seeing very low water tables.  We had the Ballance fert man out today and he echoed my thinking. So where does that put us ..... good for queen mating ?

We are expecting it to be a very dry summer, as though last year was not hot enough in our people baking Waipara micro climate. I mean jeez. Last year I seriously considered washing out a rubbish bin, filling it up with cold water and climbing into it. It was that hot. In terms of fire season, I'm a volly ff down the road and we too are expecting a very busy season. 

13 hours ago, tristan said:

DPF's especially if its doing a regen. but later fords have issues with grass getting caught around the dpf and catching on fire.

We have to be pretty careful with vehicles out here too, because we get starlings nesting in everything - so have to check stuff regularly. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CHCHPaul said:

Most thinking is best done inside the head. ?

The forum would be a dull place if that was always the case ?

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, Fitzie said:

We are expecting it to be a very dry summer, as though last year was not hot enough in our people baking Waipara micro climate. I mean jeez. Last year I seriously considered washing out a rubbish bin, filling it up with cold water and climbing into it. It was that hot. In terms of fire season, I'm a volly ff down the road and we too are expecting a very busy season. 

We have to be pretty careful with vehicles out here too, because we get starlings nesting in everything - so have to check stuff regularly. 

so I thought it got quite hot here in nz at times...

I spent august tripping around on my motorbike in the usa... it gets really hot there OMFG and i didnt even get to the really hot places... it was low 40s most of the time... 47 degrees was the hottest, on a motorbike in full gear... UGH... I learned the extremely huge benefits of a mesh jacket and a cooling vest, and even that helmets keep the hot air out on hot days as well as the warm air in on cold days.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Cockcroaches..seem to be more prevalent around our hives this year.

I may have created a nice environment for them on the hives with the designer lids that sit on top of the standard lid.

They are more of a nuisance, than a concern.

Are there any suggestions, other than ditch the added lid for deterring the roaches. Or squish them...

I am told they would survive a nuclear holocaust..

Chicken food ?

2 minutes ago, Beefriendly said:

Chicken food ?

most definitely.

• Like 1

Chicken food

1 minute ago, DeeGeeBee said:

most definitely.

Yummy .....

Seems I had better start a “roach” container for collecting squished roaches as I work the hives 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Alastair said:

we had a bit of fun the other night. loaded up with hives and found the ute sunk into the mud a bit to much.

then the tow vehicle got stuck, bring in the other ute to tow that out.

ended up having two utes daisy chained towing me across the paddock.

• Haha 3

24 minutes ago, tristan said:

we had a bit of fun the other night. loaded up with hives and found the ute sunk into the mud a bit to much.

then the tow vehicle got stuck, bring in the other ute to tow that out.

ended up having two utes daisy chained towing me across the paddock.

I hope the cocky gets some recompense for the damage..

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, yesbut said:

I hope the cocky gets some recompense for the damage..

usually in the form of honey :)

its not to bad, those paddocks get pugged to hell and back. there wasn't much grass in their to start with. the wheel tracks will disappear pretty quick.

Late this afternoon I got out to a new site where I'd put eight single splits in about twelve days ago.  I took along a pail of syrup as I'd expected they'd be hungry, and just three extra boxes.  Most of the splits had their original Queen although a couple of the splits had cells put in.

I opened up the first box, crikey! it was very busy and I pulled out a couple of frames and you could see from the nectar they were into some willow somewhere.  I was concerned about whether despite this being a split they may still be in the mood to swarm.  I lifted the bottom up and there were no cups or swarm cells under there.  However on the mesh floor there were a ball of bees - they were balling something - and I thought maybe they were having a go at their Queen.  When I pulled them apart I found a dead Virgin Queen.....I went through the box and there were no cells or emerged cells and I found the Queen.  The Virgin wasn't from this hive.

I opened up the hive next door, saw the plastic Queen cell, and went through the box.  They were Queenless.  This hive was alongside the first hive, but the entrance was in the opposite direction.  The Virgin had gone back to the wrong hive....silly girl.

I cracked open the next hive and it was busy as so decided to shoot back and get some more boxes as they all needed a new box.  I also grabbed a couple of caged Queens out of the mating nucs.

When I got back I opened the second/Queenless hive and dropped the Queen in a cage onto the top bars, and in several seconds the bees mugged the cage and were fanning away.  I got a shot of it but its a bit hard to make out the fanning, but they were clearly very pleased to see her.  I ended up opening the cage and dropping her onto a frame, and she was straight off looking for a cell to lay in. 

All in all an enjoyable late afternoon.

(Just in case @philbee is concerned he can't see any staples in that image, there are staples in that box ?

IMG_2152.jpg

Edited by CraBee
  • Like 8
  • Good Info 1
  • Haha 2

On 3/10/2018 at 2:00 PM, Beefriendly said:

Cockcroaches..seem to be more prevalent around our hives this year.

I may have created a nice environment for them on the hives with the designer lids that sit on top of the standard lid.

They are more of a nuisance, than a concern.

Are there any suggestions, other than ditch the added lid for deterring the roaches. Or squish them...

I am told they would survive a nuclear holocaust..

Chicken food ?

My chooks love them, I call them over when I open up the hive and flick them over to them - advantage of backyard chooks and bees!

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Rhsgc said:

My chooks love them, I call them over when I open up the hive and flick them over to them - advantage of backyard chooks and bees!

Squished or still wriggling?

We have chooks and ducks ?  ? too

Oops, should have read your post more carefully 

you call all them over... flick...?

On 1/10/2018 at 9:37 AM, kaihoka said:

did  You not dump the swarm into a hive box with frames straight away ?

Yes I did! They all resolutely walked out. I figured someone would start laying if they were queenless for too long, so I took the hive up to the ridge site and paper united them with my weakest hive. They are all happy now.