October 2018 Apiary Diary

• Replies 424
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Seriously hot here today - checked hives top to bottom and they are cranking. They are completely packed in. What I previously considered a grunty hive was actually empty. How commercials get through

This cheeky thing almost got my lunch    

Just having morning tea when I heard the shrill swarm hum. I'd just managed to hive yesterday's lot and thought this was an afterthought. They were hanging on a saw horse next to a hive with a virgin

Posted Images

I'm sure someone will correct me but doesn't the stomach eliminate all the beneficial enzymes,bacteria etc that come with Manuka. My understanding was topically excellent, internally and no different to other honey

Edited by northernbee
Typo
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2
1 hour ago, northernbee said:

I'm sure someone will correct me but doesn't the stomach eliminate all the beneficial enzymes,bacteria etc that come with Manuka. My understanding was topically excellent, internally and no different to other honey

The whole internally taken manuka honey market is based on a fallacy .

That does not mean that the high activity manuka plantings are a waste of time . The toplcally applied manuka has a great future.

51 minutes ago, Trevor Gillbanks said:

I don't understand why there are so many knockers.

If I decide to buy a second hand car, is it wrong for someone to buy a Rolls Royce.

Let's stop the jealousy bit and see the clever marketing.

I would love to sell my honey for  $1800 per pot.

It's not so much jealousy in my case, but more like pique that people with that sort of money have imo one way or another used more than their share of our resources to get it. 

I know lots of "these people" create employment but the motivation voluntary or genetic is still greed and is leading to our downfall. But I have no answers. A firing squad to replace the top tax bracket might help.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
2 hours ago, Trevor Gillbanks said:

I don't understand why there are so many knockers.

If I decide to buy a second hand car, is it wrong for someone to buy a Rolls Royce.

Let's stop the jealousy bit and see the clever marketing.

I would love to sell my honey for  $1800 per pot.

I never watched the program but was the company selling the honey the producer? If not how many hand does it pass through to get to market? I know when I was selling honey in the usa it passed through 4 sets of hands before reaching the customer

32 minutes ago, Bighands said:

I never watched the program but was the company selling the honey the producer? If not how many hand does it pass through to get to market? I know when I was selling honey in the usa it passed through 4 sets of hands before reaching the customer

I don't know.  It did not say that. Or at least what I saw of the program.

I'd like to see someone buy a pot of this honey and have it tested to openly share the results. But I sure as hell am not spending that amount to satisfy my own curiosity haha.

In other news, I am interviewing for our most current job ad at the moment and I've been just about over run by people wanting to train or get into the industry. It's so hard to pick what exactly will make an excellent future beekeeper,. It's funny how just by adding in that we could have room for trainees, you seem to get nothing but potential trainees apply and put off the experience beekeepers you are also looking for. Could have been something else in my ad that is putting off the experienced but I can't imagine what.

(Here it is in case you have suggestions on how it could be better: https://www.trademe.co.nz/jobs/agriculture-fishing-forestry/other/listing-1818631938.htm?rsqid=e8cb9acc1c144a96a96b3563dedd97e9). 

2 hours ago, Bighands said:

I hope you had the biggest set !

Edited by yesbut
1 hour ago, Fitzie said:

It's funny how just by adding in that we could have room for trainees, you seem to get nothing but potential trainees apply and put off the experience beekeepers you are also looking for. Could have been something else in my ad that is putting off the experienced but I can't imagine what

Maybe the experienced beeks, really know what’s involved... ?

• Agree 1
3 hours ago, Fitzie said:

In other news, I am interviewing for our most current job ad at the moment and I've been just about over run by people wanting to train or get into the industry. It's so hard to pick what exactly will make an excellent future beekeeper,. It's funny how just by adding in that we could have room for trainees, you seem to get nothing but potential trainees apply and put off the experience beekeepers you are also looking for. Could have been something else in my ad that is putting off the experienced but I can't imagine what.

(Here it is in case you have suggestions on how it could be better: https://www.trademe.co.nz/jobs/agriculture-fishing-forestry/other/listing-1818631938.htm?rsqid=e8cb9acc1c144a96a96b3563dedd97e9). 

just looking through there seams to be an awful lot of companies wanting to hire even this far into the season.

it may simply be case of demand is high. there has been an awful lot of expansion going on.

• Agree 1
5 hours ago, Fitzie said:

I'd like to see someone buy a pot of this honey and have it tested to openly share the results. But I sure as hell am not spending that amount to satisfy my own curiosity haha.

Saw your write up in Countrywide?

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, CraBee said:

I guess while we're on this topic I'll not be too out of line in pointing out our job advert for an Auckland based Trainee Beekeeper.

https://www.trademe.co.nz/jobs/agriculture-fishing-forestry/other/listing-1817719597.htm?rsqid=23dce9877d7348839e69f952cdc1cc2a

advertising for a part time helper under the guise of "training". thats low ? ?

1 minute ago, tristan said:

advertising for a part time helper under the guise of "training". thats low ? ?

What a load of crap Tristan.

I've had quite a few people contact me already interested in it.

They will receive training and be employed full time for four months and paid for it, and then if it is working out I'll keep them on permanently.

I don't see what is wrong with that.

• Agree 1
18 minutes ago, CraBee said:

What a load of crap Tristan.

I've had quite a few people contact me already interested in it.

They will receive training and be employed full time for four months and paid for it, and then if it is working out I'll keep them on permanently.

I don't see what is wrong with that.

more like get shown a few things, no real training, no real beekeeping. just a labor unit for 4 months.

considering the time frame, spring build up is almost over, so all the important bee work is already done. so there is nothing to teach them with.

all they will be doing is hauling boxes.

if it was to be real training i would expect it to be full time employment or at the very least start at the start of the season.

I have a mating hive on the front deck,  just along from the front door, but not noticable until pointed out. Tonights collection of Harry Potters,  Princesses and Spidermans were offered the treat of some honey.....the trick was they had to get it themselves. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 5
8 minutes ago, tristan said:

more like get shown a few things, no real training, no real beekeeping. just a labor unit for 4 months.

considering the time frame, spring build up is almost over, so all the important bee work is already done. so there is nothing to teach them with.

all they will be doing is hauling boxes.

if it was to be real training i would expect it to be full time employment or at the very least start at the start of the season.

I was not prepared to hire a newby at the start of the season because as you allude to in Spring hive management requires at least some experience and judgement.

I intend to cell all hives at the start of and into the flow removing the Queen and a frame of newly laid brood into a nuc, plenty of work and learning for someone there.....  Still have mating nucs to run, nucs to manage, varroa to deal with, and, yip, harvesting.  This year have a harvest crew, including the newby, ready to go, harvested boxes to put back out, and then more splits and varroa and some Wintering down....

Those I've spoken to get the speech about bees being fascinating, but  most of the time there is just a lot of hard grubby work to do ?

Yes Hard work
Today out at a good site it was almost depressing to work the Hives as there are just too many Bees

Some I had to run as doubles as there was 15 frames of Brood and Bees like a million spiders climbing  over everything.

One I even considered making a 3 box Brood and putting 3 supers on.
Not much fun and the price one pays for doing other stuff

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Philbee said:

Yes Hard work
Today out at a good site it was almost depressing to work the Hives as there are just too many Bees

Some I had to run as doubles as there was 15 frames of Brood and Bees like a million spiders climbing  over everything.

One I even considered making a 3 box Brood and putting 3 supers on.
Not much fun and the price one pays for doing other stuff

Why do you think the hives are so strong ?