Trevor Gillbanks

October 2018 Apiary Diary

22 minutes ago, M4tt said:

You’re having a great self induced swarm season ?

I think its the weather. We only had 36 mls in sep and only 40 mls so far this month .

What sort of west coast spring is that .

The honeys are chocker with honey and I do not have enough gear.

I wonder what happened to the queen that flew off. I should have caught her but at that stage she could have gone to the moon for all I cared .

4 minutes ago, kaihoka said:

I think its the weather. We only had 36 mls in sep and only 40 mls so far this month .

What sort of west coast spring is that .

The honeys are chocker with honey and I do not have enough gear.

I wonder what happened to the queen that flew off. I should have caught her but at that stage she could have gone to the moon for all I cared .

It’s the season . Bees everywhere are trying harder than usual to swarm . Natures way of ensuring their survival 

• Like 2

Noticed today for the first time so far, that swarming pressure is lightening up a bit, some hives that would have been building queen cells last week, were not today. Although still destroyed a lot of cells today, just, not in every hive. This has coincided with a reasonable amount of nectar starting to be collected. Hopefully, as more nectar starts coming in, swarming attempts will reduce further.

Only hard part now is lifting those honey boxes off every hive to get to the brood nest. ?

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Good Info 1

44 minutes ago, Alastair said:

Noticed today for the first time so far, that swarming pressure is lightening up a bit, some hives that would have been building queen cells last week, were not today. Although still destroyed a lot of cells today, just, not in every hive. This has coincided with a reasonable amount of nectar starting to be collected. Hopefully, as more nectar starts coming in, swarming attempts will reduce further.

Only hard part now is lifting those honey boxes off every hive to get to the brood nest. ?

I parked up at the Dairy Flat Bakery today half expecting to see @Alastair parked up there too, but, no, there were a couple of wagons belonging to the long time local operator.  As I munched away on my sausage rolls, and the bee dog on his, they were extolling the virtues of the black bees.  When I asked about swarming they all nodded vigorously, and mentioned retrieving a couple out of the gorse that morning.  I went on my way and and later headed home and spotted a bee ute parked up under the motorway bridge, and when I saw who it belonged to I turned around as I was going to give him firm directions back to Helensville ? but he took off before I could pull up beside him.  I'm certainly hoping @Alastair is right about swarming having peaked as I'm knocking cells out all around the place and need to be in ten places at once.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, CraBee said:

need to be in ten places at once.

Hmmmm ... I know the feeling. 

Chasing Two constantly swarming hives is a mission for me .

You guys with hundreds of hives must never sleep .

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha 3

On 23/10/2018 at 5:02 PM, kaihoka said:

I do not think we have any wild ones.

Are you sure of that?

22 hours ago, kaihoka said:

Chasing Two constantly swarming hives is a mission for me ............

Video or it is not true

• Haha 2

@kaihoka  I take heart in the fact your swarm season is as much of a train wreck as mine. Missed queen cells, missed virgins and a hive that has swarmed 3 times. 

Next year I'm going to do things a whole lot differently.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I've had to start using gloves . My bloomin lot have gotten uncharacteristically grumpy lately.  Started with grumpy swarms, the whole darn lot, now my own hives have caught the titch bug. I hope it's just the weird season. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I'm out of hardware and have been wiring up frames out of the freezer and boiling up last years cappings to trade for wax sheets. And the main flow hasn't even started. I'd like to combine some of the hives but they are all over the place, some with supercedure cells, some with virgins some queenless that I've given brood. I've got nine hives, two of which are already combined, plus two nucs after m4tt gave me the word about pink hive swarming. I only wanted four this year. Harry has discovered the delight of eating the dropped honeycomb, her reckon is, it's worth the stings.

• Like 3

On ‎23‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 7:05 PM, kaihoka said:

I do not think we have any wild ones

2 hours ago, Bighands said:

Are you sure of that?

Nah. We got you, Bighands :D

Edited by Alastair
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Kiwi Bee said:

Video or it is not true

Still shots only .:14_relaxed:

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Hellsbelle said:

@kaihoka  I take heart in the fact your swarm season is as much of a train wreck as mine. Missed queen cells, missed virgins and a hive that has swarmed 3 times. 

Next year I'm going to do things a whole lot differently.

Good luck with that .

What would have helped is more gear . I have ordered more boxes and frames .

10 hours ago, Bighands said:

Are you sure of that?

Pretty sure .

Before I got bees there were none at all at my place over the period the migrant beeks were not here .

That is the main reason I got hives . To pollinate my early fruit trees . Having my own bees has made a big difference to fruit set .

Even though I have bumble bees and native pollinaters.

Do you have wild bees in your area.?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, yesbut said:

I've had to start using gloves . My bloomin lot have gotten uncharacteristically grumpy lately.  Started with grumpy swarms, the whole darn lot, now my own hives have caught the titch bug. I hope it's just the weird season. 

Do you have a decent flow on now from your mahoe.

I thinks its happening  early here.

8 hours ago, Apihappy said:

I'm out of hardware and have been wiring up frames out of the freezer and boiling up last years cappings to trade for wax sheets. And the main flow hasn't even started. I'd like to combine some of the hives but they are all over the place, some with supercedure cells, some with virgins some queenless that I've given brood. I've got nine hives, two of which are already combined, plus two nucs after m4tt gave me the word about pink hive swarming. I only wanted four this year. Harry has discovered the delight of eating the dropped honeycomb, her reckon is, it's worth the stings.

I think nine is too many for a hobyist .

I am going to do my very best to stay at four.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, kaihoka said:

Do you have a decent flow on now from your mahoe

I've only just noticed some of the mahoe coming into flower. No bees on them yet.

• Thanks 1

On 23/10/2018 at 11:37 AM, kaihoka said:

Chasing Two constantly swarming hives is a mission for me .

You guys with hundreds of hives must never sleep .

I plan to do dzierzon ( remove the queen) or modified dzierzon ( preemptive split queen+2frames of brood+2frames of food) in spring about 10 days before main forage - black locust which in fact can get some meh price in my neck of wood, since all other honey I have is underrated. After main forage I will get small drop in strength, but will avoid swarming and get max of black locust.

The queens.. it would be nice if I can manage to squeeze a time for at least one batch of qcells to distribute..

This modified dzierzon, I told my mentor if he need he can take them since I can't sell them and have no intention of increasing - " au contraire" I think to sink down, somehow I am not motivated to keep at water level..

• Like 2

Forgot, after black locust swarming fever at my place is rapidly decreasing, and let's say in June I am relatively safe from swarming, or if they really swarm, I already got targeted honey in a barrel.

Some do this modified dzierzon and after they take black locust they unite nucleus with old colony and go after other big forages ( false indigo tree, sunflower, sweet chestnut..).

• Like 2

@Goran in your hives , when a virgin hatches will she kill off queens in other cells .

Just now, kaihoka said:

@Goran in your hives , when a virgin hatches will she kill off queens in other cells .

I will if I add qcell or two with previously destroying all emergency qcells which they built. Or in situation that I will leave 2 such qcells.. I would come 6th day after removing a queen and remove all sealed qcells. After couple days would come and leave only 2 which I think should remain.

In situation when a lot of emergency qcells remain it is for me risky to leave them outfight each other. I once left intentionally such with plenty of emergency qcells, at same time started to open more qcells and at the end none succeed, I believe partly due to bees themselves don't know which one to leave and " after smoke settles" they have none..

• Thanks 1

I made a mistake last night - carefully culling all but 2 cells. When I was finishing I couldn’t be sure I had left two, so shook the bees off without thinking. It wasn’t a big shake but I’m hoping I don’t regret my idiocy. They are the 12 day stage, perfectly timed for damaging them.

Just now, cBank said:

I made a mistake last night - carefully culling all but 2 cells. When I was finishing I couldn’t be sure I had left two, so shook the bees off without thinking. It wasn’t a big shake but I’m hoping I don’t regret my idiocy. They are the 12 day stage, perfectly timed for damaging them.

I have left one cell  once and damaged it , it was on the bottom of a frame.

I have some damaged frames I leave in the hive  and they make cells in the middle holes .

It keeps them safe but they are easily missed on inspection.

Which is what has happened this season for me .

1 hour ago, kaihoka said:

I have left one cell  once and damaged it , it was on the bottom of a frame.

I have some damaged frames I leave in the hive  and they make cells in the middle holes .

It keeps them safe but they are easily missed on inspection.

Which is what has happened this season for me .

I would leave a qCell that was in the middle of the brood nest. One on the bottom of a frame, would be at high risk of being damaged.

• Agree 1