Trevor Gillbanks

October 2018 Apiary Diary

@Mummzie do you have a machine to do that .

Like a waffle maker .

At $1300 that's no toy !

Your Motor bike would also qualify as a toy in my thinking.....& prob costs more?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Spoon 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Mummzie said:

I have to confess to not having a clue what a waffle maker looks like-, but this is my toy.

https://www.alfranseder.com/produkt/mittelwandgussform-format-langstroth-423-x-200-mm/

Yep 

I reckon you could make waffles with that .

Pretty cool ones too .

• Agree 3

13 hours ago, Mummzie said:

Your Motor bike would also qualify as a toy in my thinking.....& prob costs more?

We need a “touché” button!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, CHCHPaul said:

We need a “touché” button!

Since beekeeping has been compared with the "Wild West" how about a "Counting Coupe" with scoreboard? It only became scalp taking when the government got involved and paid for proof of a kill. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Counting_coup

Its not about point scoring at all. Each to their own.

I agree with a lot of @yesbut comments about the material world, the need for money, the environment.

I'm non commercial, so never have enough wax to sell for foundation making. This is about not wasting the products I take from the hive.

Foundation making will never make financial sense, but nor does beekeeping at hobby level. We all amuse ourselves somehow...Some take the road less travelled to get coffee,  some plant extensive gardens, some sew,  and all of us keep bees.

• Like 3
  • Agree 3

1 hour ago, Mummzie said:

Its not about point scoring at all. Each to their own.

I agree with a lot of @yesbut comments about the material world, the need for money, the environment.

I'm non commercial, so never have enough wax to sell for foundation making. This is about not wasting the products I take from the hive.

Foundation making will never make financial sense, but nor does beekeeping at hobby level. We all amuse ourselves somehow...Some take the road less travelled to get coffee,  some plant extensive gardens, some sew,  and all of us keep bees.

Some people spend that much on a sewing machine but that foundation came out looking nice. Will pay dividends in it's own way. Did you find it easy to use? With the cost of foundation as well as costs of attaining it such as petrol, a coffee from the petrol station, feeding the troops who have been roped into accompanying you, another purchase not accounted for (possibly a bribe for the family miscreant to behave themselves) I would figure this purchase as a money saver. 

Well after checking the hive and finding not a scherrick of brood with the classic hive roar looks like we have a new queen who was busy being mated. Phew cos thought I might have squished the old girl, but the practice cups had all been torn down except one so was hopeful. Looks like they are building up to swarm again so steps taken and fingers crossed. Nice solid brood pattern but may be some disagreement among sister groups as bit of crazy comb going on still. Must be this hive's thing.

Eat, sleep, do bees....

Rinse and repeat 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Thought it best to check the pink hive today, it's the oldest box, homemade and starting to rot along one corner. I'll probably retire it at the end of this season. The pink hive swarmed on Tuesday, a big ###### that lodged in a juvenile tanekaha tree. That was all sorted out by Wednesday morning, so I thought I'd see what the damage was. Seeing a capped queen cell on the excluder spelled trouble. Seven capped cells, two with larvae and jelly and one with a popped cap. No eggs and after three run throughs no queen. I found her on the fourth try, big and black and fast, she was removed straight away. It was amazing to see all of the queen cell stages in the hive at the same time and keep my bees. Lucky.

• Like 1

@Apihappy what did you leave in the hive after you removed the queen .

• Like 1

9 hours ago, kaihoka said:

@Apihappy what did you leave in the hive after you removed the queen .

The cells that were being built. I guessed that the newly hatched queen may have stung the capped cells. I don't know why there were new ones, swarm or supercedure, and the egg choice must have been minimal. I won't be entirely surprised if the hive is queenless in the near future but say enough to recombine from the nuc hive.

41 minutes ago, Apihappy said:

The cells that were being built. I guessed that the newly hatched queen may have stung the capped cells. I don't know why there were new ones, swarm or supercedure, and the egg choice must have been minimal. I won't be entirely surprised if the hive is queenless in the near future but say enough to recombine from the nuc hive.

They are all swarm cells. Leave them alone and you will keep seeing your hive swarm with progressively smaller swarms until there are no bees left. 

As as far as I know , and of this I’m not sure , new queens can’t sting. New bees certainly can’t do at least a few days so I can’t see why a new queen could . I’m happy to be proved incorrect 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, M4tt said:

They are all swarm cells. Leave them alone and you will keep seeing your hive swarm with progressively smaller swarms until there are no bees left. 

As as far as I know , and of this I’m not sure , new queens can’t sting. New bees certainly can’t do at least a few days so I can’t see why a new queen could . I’m happy to be proved incorrect 

I was of the thinking that a newly hatched queen would ‘tear down’ other cells. I would only leave qCell of  my choice in the brood nest.

Edited by Beefriendly

2 hours ago, Beefriendly said:

I was of the thinking that a newly hatched queen would ‘tear down’ other cells. I would only leave qCell of  my choice in the brood nest.

I did that and it was empty .

Now I leave two .

I experimented with leaving the frame of half doz in the nuc .

Of course it swarmed . 

I could see no queen at all in nuc after swarm . But it was a nice day , she was probably out chasing boys .

My hive that swarmed on friday has just swarmed again .

The only consolation is that it settled really close to the ground .

923201816141.thumb.jpg.110bae0e864f86b356983d039d87bfe4.jpg

I did not want to put it in a nuc and I had no boxes so I went through the hive it came from and got  most of those bees into one box 

I discovered the hidden queen cell and another virgin hatched in front of me and took off into the air .

I do not know where she ended up .

I shook as many bees as I could out of the top box  in front of the hive and made up a box on a division board with the entrance facing the other way .

And I put a queen excluder temporarily  underneath .

I dumped the swarm into that .923201816048.thumb.jpg.1dd5062584bb0ef0117193bec507620c.jpg

The  weather has been good for mating . But the down side of having the place to yourself is no boys when you need them .

14 minutes ago, kaihoka said:

My hive that swarmed on friday has just swarmed again .

The only consolation is that it settled really close to the ground .

923201816141.thumb.jpg.110bae0e864f86b356983d039d87bfe4.jpg

I did not want to put it in a nuc and I had no boxes so I went through the hive it came from and got  most of those bees into one box 

I discovered the hidden queen cell and another virgin hatched in front of me and took off into the air .

I do not know where she ended up .

I shook as many bees as I could out of the top box  in front of the hive and made up a box on a division board with the entrance facing the other way .

And I put a queen excluder temporarily  underneath .

I dumped the swarm into that .923201816048.thumb.jpg.1dd5062584bb0ef0117193bec507620c.jpg

The  weather has been good for mating . But the down side of having the place to yourself is no boys when you need them .

Dont worry the boys will find her especially the wild ones

28 minutes ago, Bighands said:

I do not think we have any wild ones.

30 minutes ago, Bighands said:

I accidentally squashed the mother queen on the 2nd nov .

I did not think queens took 21'days to hatch 

10 minutes ago, kaihoka said:

Quick, change that date before the pink one corrects you

• Haha 2

44 minutes ago, kaihoka said:

Oops October?

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, kaihoka said:

You’re having a great self induced swarm season ?

• Haha 3