Trevor Gillbanks

New Zealand swarm dates for season 2018/19

3 minutes ago, Beefriendly said:

Are they leaving home grumpy, due to any particular reason? Or like most things beeking, there’s often a different scenario and no one size fits all.

Yes, you are possible correct.  I asked them why they were grumpy and they just gave me another sting.  lol.

It also may be the weather as each of this season swarms have been when the weather has been a bit off.

Maybe it is something flowering at present.  Or maybe if you are a greenie, it could be global warming, or cooling or plastic in the pacific or some other thing that the want money for.

• Haha 3

Just now, Trevor Gillbanks said:

Yes, you are possible correct.  I asked them why they were grumpy and they just gave me another sting.  lol.

It also may be the weather as each of this season swarms have been when the weather has been a bit off.

Maybe it is something flowering at present.  Or maybe if you are a greenie, it could be global warming, or cooling or plastic in the pacific or some other thing that the want money for.

It’s not very considerate of the bees, to show rather than tell.. ? ouch

We have the same problem around here, with the menagerie not answering our questions either...

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, kaihoka said:

were they from the same hive .

No, all big prime swarms.

1 hour ago, Trevor Gillbanks said:

Bigger also.

Embarassingly  so.My stock of 5 frame nucs isn't cutting the mustard this year.

23 minutes ago, yesbut said:

No, all big prime swarms.

Embarassingly  so.My stock of 5 frame nucs isn't cutting the mustard this year.

Correct.  all of my swarms have gone into 10 or 20 frames straight up.

All your gains are someone else's loss.

No one on the forum is talking much about loosing swarms .

*Touch wood* haven't lost one yet! Then there's always tomorrow!:IMG_0386:

• Like 3

Haven't lost any yet (to my knowledge). But haven't gained any yet either. They seem to be a bit slow in my part of town this year.

Had a quick peep at my Novatel swarm - they seem to be doing well and have drawn out several frames.  Queen is less black than my average too, so that’s nice.

3A548FAE-A806-408E-93D8-1DA93AC2BB6A.jpeg

• Like 5

You must have some dark bees. This lot look dark enough to me !

• Agree 2

40 minutes ago, yesbut said:

You must have some dark bees. This lot look dark enough to me !

Most my bees are like those dark ones, with a queen to match.

I suspect that those dark ones are actually ones that have absconded from my hives.

I did a rather aggressive round of splits and moved boxes around to sort a hive that was intent on swarming (round 3 of check coming this weekend). It’s been very disruptive to them, but that was the point and they *seem* less hell bent on leaving home.

A beehaverkeeper I've been keeping an eye on called me today concerned that the pile of bees on the front of the hive were a worry.....

By the time I got there, the bees had been smoked and had aborted todays attempt to fly (phew, there are some tall trees nearby).

about the 3rd frame I pulled out had a nippy virgin running around, so thats into nuc 1. A dozen or so swarm cells later, I had the hive split into 3.  2 nucs and the original colony. Because curiosity over-rode sense, I opened one of the discarded swarm cells and a princess marched out, so I put her at the door of  nuc  2 (of unknown queen status) and she walked in.

Hopefully I have stopped the escape, -now to sort it out!

To top it off, when I got home, my girls had disgraced themselves by finding the box of honey frames I hadn't sealed up properly when grabbing gear?

Does smoking bees stop a swarm happening? or was that just a trial run?

• Like 3

These guys made it easy for me.

D0DD527C-38D7-4C11-A89A-096D9A759FC4.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Haha 4

Nice new hive will have to combine it in a few weeks as I don’t need more.

0079A3B6-C69E-4AE3-9069-5E2ED6D12502.jpeg

• Like 4

Oh  crikey .... you must need some more division boards to make some splits up on top ...?

9 hours ago, Oma said:

These guys made it easy for me.

D0DD527C-38D7-4C11-A89A-096D9A759FC4.jpeg

@Oma for the benefit of others, can you explain how you managed this?

We caught a swarm on a post a couple of seasons ago. Our neighbour had alerted us to it, several hundred metres down the road, in the afternoon.

This was a sweep and scoop the bees into the box scenario. The bees stayed and this hive has become known as the Posts.

• Agree 1

14 hours ago, cBank said:

Had a quick peep at my Novatel swarm - they seem to be doing well and have drawn out several frames.  Queen is less black than my average too, so that’s nice.

@cBank, I love the pale yellow wax of the fresh drawn out frames. ?

• Agree 1

One of my senior Ag students went out to check on the calves this morning. He came rushing back. "Mr Bennett, your bees have swarmed." Oh No thinks I and go out and check. Nope. Not mine. A big cluster of golden bees and a smaller one next to it. Not 20m from my carnies. So we got a ladder off the caretaker and found an empty box and frames. Lacking some gear so using an old desk top and base and lid. Got most of the large cluster in. The overflow that hid the ground outside the box soon started scenting the air and walking in, which was pretty cool.

A few small clusters still on the branches but the main group are in the box so will have to wait and see. Very exciting for my first swarm. 

swarm 1.jpg

swarm3.jpg

swarm4.jpg

swarm5.jpg

• Like 6

A burst of air freshener on the branch/es the cluster came from will stop them re-clustering there. Sometimes if you go for a walk while waiting for the bees to all walk into the box you can come back and find the whole lot back up there.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, yesbut said:

A burst of air freshener on the branch/es the cluster came from will stop them re-clustering there. Sometimes if you go for a walk while waiting for the bees to all walk into the box you can come back and find the whole lot back up there.

Did that. Will know in a few minutes. Didn't tuck my overalls into my socks and had a few walk up my leg.

"Mr Bennett got stung on the a*se!"  got spread around at lunchtime but some excited students.

• Haha 6

I caught a swarm today as well. It was hanging underneath the crossmember between two posts on a mates farm. Could not have been easier . Mediocre size . Half to 3/4 of a box. 

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, jamesc said:

Oh  crikey .... you must need some more division boards to make some splits up on top ...?

Sadly that makes for too much heavy lifting just got to hope the swarming season doesn’t last till Xmas ?. Will be combining some of those smaller colonies in a few weeks after I get to see how the early summer shapes up.  The division boards I got from you have worked a treat thanks.  Did you get the others sold? 

9 hours ago, Beefriendly said:

@Oma for the benefit of others, can you explain how you managed this?

A same treatment you would give your kids.  Life for them is way too comfortable so they become reluctant to leave home.  ?.  

• Haha 1

I changed the queen excluder entrance to open on the disk and the  virgin and swarm took off .

I would never expect a swarm to settle in an HD corflute nuc now .

I will make sure I have a spare box and base for swarms .