frazzledfozzle

Incubator temperature fluctuations

23 minutes ago, Otto said:

A polystyrene box is all I use when putting cells out. I fill a 2L milk bottle with warm water (around 35 degrees is fine when it goes in) which sits beside the foam. I tested the temperature inside the box when I first started using it and it holds it pretty well. Unless it is a cold day the temp inside the polystyrene box is still around 25 degrees after much of the day sitting on the passenger seat in the ute. 

Meet an old beek many years ago that would turn up with a woolen hat and tucked a few cells under there on his head, he would only do a few cells at a time but thats all he used.

Now that"s using your head 🥁 pa-dishh

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

21 hours ago, David Yanke said:

cells go into the Incubator on Day 8 from grafting, and go out  late on Day 10.

Hi David, what is you reason for not shifting them into the incubator as soon as they are capped?

3 hours ago, CHCHPaul said:

Hi David, what is you reason for not shifting them into the incubator as soon as they are capped?

We have 3 Groups of Cell Builders, We graft every 3 Days, We work(move open brood above the excluder) the Group of Cell Builders 24 hours before the Graft.  That means that for any particular Group, we get back to work it 8 Days after the previous Graft. It is just the most convenient time to have the Cells come out  and go into the Incubator.

I don't know this, but it might be best to leave the Cells alone after they are just sealed because there is a lot going on.  The prepupa is busy spinning her cocoon, then stretching out  and pupating.  Might not be the best time to be bothering them with a move into the Incubator.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, CHCHPaul said:

I found that my cells can hatch on day 9 depending on when they're grafted so I pull them out day 8 and straight into it in summer maybe day 10 early spring 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, David Yanke said:

We have 3 Groups of Cell Builders, We graft every 3 Days, We work(move open brood above the excluder) the Group of Cell Builders 24 hours before the Graft.  That means that for any particular Group, we get back to work it 8 Days after the previous Graft. It is just the most convenient time to have the Cells come out  and go into the Incubator.

I don't know this, but it might be best to leave the Cells alone after they are just sealed because there is a lot going on.  The prepupa is busy spinning her cocoon, then stretching out  and pupating.  Might not be the best time to be bothering them with a move into the Incubator.

I routinely pull them out of the finishers 5 days post-graft and have never had issues with cells not emerging properly. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Otto said:

I routinely pull them out of the finishers 5 days post-graft and have never had issues with cells not emerging properly. 

For me easy access in and out of the  grafting yard, without any bumps, and a short distance to the incubator cupboard helps  

• Like 1