cBank

Honey Vinegar

Method from a 1900 edition of the New Zealand Farmer Bee and Poultry Journal.

Has anyone tasted anything like this before?

56F36A8D-23F4-4BA7-8512-12AB0D8CB04B.thumb.jpeg.e9044815c9a0ee24b68271cc68d81c21.jpeg

Maybe someone could try to make it with unsold honey .

I wonder what Cuban honey is . Was honey imported into NZ once .

They probably used Manuka honey to make mead and vinegar , seeing how it was not fit for human consumption.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, kaihoka said:

Maybe someone could try to make it with unsold honey .

I wonder what Cuban honey is . Was honey imported into NZ once .

They probably used Manuka honey to make mead and vinegar , seeing how it was not fit for human consumption.

That’s a good point.

I wonder how much Manuka honey you need now to call your vinegar ‘manuka vinegar’. 

Just now, cBank said:

That’s a good point.

I wonder how much Manuka honey you need now to call your vinegar ‘manuka vinegar’. 

I do not think there is a test yet . You could probably get away with very little.

I would say there would be a good strong market for Manuka vinegar .

58 minutes ago, cBank said:

Method from a 1900 edition of the New Zealand Farmer Bee and Poultry Journal.

Has anyone tasted anything like this before?

56F36A8D-23F4-4BA7-8512-12AB0D8CB04B.thumb.jpeg.e9044815c9a0ee24b68271cc68d81c21.jpeg

Any honey for which there is no market would work.  Willow dew honey.  Might have to make some pickled walnuts in willow dew honey vinegar.  Sounds exotic could make a handsome profit with those walnuts that are nasty to crackout and that nasty end of season willow dew???

• Like 1

It's still a food isn't it, so at least NP1 with all the yadayadayada.......to produce and sell the stuff

1 hour ago, yesbut said:

It's still a food isn't it, so at least NP1 with all the yadayadayada.......to produce and sell the stuff

I use white vinegar to clean lots of things.

It could be a cleaning product .

• Like 1

8 hours ago, yesbut said:

I’ll  just add it to my NP1a quick email with a food plan to the council.  Of more concern is the need to get the acetic acid levels up to 4.5. % to keep it within safe pickling guidelines, quite difficult when just using honey and water apparently. ?

• Good Info 1

16 minutes ago, Oma said:

I’ll  just add it to my NP1a quick email with a food plan to the council.  Of more concern is the need to get the acetic acid levels up to 4.5. % to keep it within safe pickling guidelines, quite difficult when just using honey and water apparently. ?

Easy to add a bit 

• Like 1

Having made my own vinegar honey vinegar  "otherwise known as Honeygar"is definitely an option. Yes the acidic reading needs to be above 4.5% or the produce you pickle will go off quickly. Honey creates massive " Mothers" Mine are between 1 & 2 cm thick.

Take care to sterilize the vinegar to destroy any microbes etc before using.

The local New World supermarket stocks it. There are a few different brands on the shelf, so it must be reasonably popular.