September 2018 Apiary Diary

• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

spent a quality hour at the local school spinning a few bee yarns to kids aged from 5-13, highlight for them was the obs hive which I made them wait til the end for.  Followed by some honey tasti

Made the dog transparent too?

I have just had a complaint from my neighbors about my bees. They tell me that my bees have over pollinated their citrus trees and they are worried the trees will die from over exertion.  

Posted Images

2 hours ago, M4tt said:

I moved some hives yesterday .

Hmmm, the good folks at Hive Doctor have narrowed the gap between the front and back legs so my trolley won’t fit under . 

Struck me as an odd thing to change and more of a nuisance than anything . I shall have to make adjustments with a hack saw ......

Now where is the .... that’s annoying emoji? 

• Agree 1
4 hours ago, M4tt said:

I moved some hives yesterday .

Hmmm, the good folks at Hive Doctor have narrowed the gap between the front and back legs so my trolley won’t fit under . 

Struck me as an odd thing to change and more of a nuisance than anything . I shall have to make adjustments with a hack saw ......

I think all HD products are a work in progress.

They probably read this forum so your complaint will be noted.

• Agree 1
10 minutes ago, kaihoka said:

I think all HD products are a work in progress.

They probably read this forum so your complaint will be noted.

It’s not so much the lower profile that’s the problem , rather the legs are wider .

Beeks with a crane will notice as their lifting  frame will no longer fit between the legs . 

The older model had it about right . The new ones will be more unstable while lifting .

I couldn’t find a website to place useful feedback to them , so posting here was the next best option 

Edited by M4tt
  • Like 1
21 minutes ago, M4tt said:

It’s not so much the lower profile that’s the problem , rather the legs are wider .

Beeks with a crane will notice as their lifting  frame will no longer fit between the legs . 

The older model had it about right . The new ones will be more unstable while lifting .

I couldn’t find a website to place useful feedback to them , so posting here was the next best option 

The newest ones are made more to go on pallets.  What I don't like about them is if you carry a hive it is hard to get under them and the underside of the base has sharp edges / cuts into your hands.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

The majority of the hives are half full of bees. Few are stronger however I broke the brood nest in all of them. Brood patterns are very beautiful.

It was very good to have a decent brood break over the winter. Now the queens kicked in while there is just a small amount of pollen in the hives(I always had too much pollen).

Overall the bees are looking good marching up and down on the apivar strips. Obviously no drones around(one hive superseded the queen - virgin emerged, beautiful QC just like in the books. See what happens).

In two weeks time I can do some equalization and I will split only after I pull out the apivar strips in midd  october.

Time to work on my pump project and make some staples ready for the end of october splits. I know by that time the weather will change and the rainy days will give a low mating success ratio however I do not have strong hives to split now.

today was one of those days where working my way through a few hives in 9 degrees celsius was going just fine and super relaxing until it got a bit cooler and damper and the bees in the last hive decided they had a thing against me. They also had a remarkable ability to sting through blue nitrile gloves. Glad i had the smoker well charged!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
10 hours ago, Stoney said:

spent a quality hour at the local school spinning a few bee yarns to kids aged from 5-13, highlight for them was the obs hive which I made them wait til the end for. 

Followed by some honey tasting. 

Some very intelligent questions...

curly question of the day was “why does the drone only mate once” from a 6yr old.. 

I printed some A3 photos and glued them to coreflute so had pics of each season which gave them images to look at while I explained the goings on. 

Great fun had by all. Cheers Loburn school. 

93A0FAA0-6DE2-4AE4-8F63-0EB389928063.png

Hmmm ....I see al lot of eager faces ....any worth hiring ? 

15 minutes ago, DylanL123 said:

When do y'all reckon the main honey flow will start this year? Based in Auckland, and want to be ready when it hits :D

If we were able to forecast that, life would be easy ?

Auckland is a big place. I’m my part of Puhoi it has been late October/start of November the last 2 years and stopped a week before New Year. At my mate’s place 5 km’s up the valley it’s completely different due to dairy pasture of which we have none.

Edited by DeeGeeBee

Inspected all of my hives over the last 3 days for COI.

Big variations in hive numbers. Some are well in to a 2nd brood box while others still have a way to go. Fed small amounts of syrup to those that needed it along with a small amount of pollen supplement. Will add another litres or so on Wednesday or Thursday.

All have a minimum of 7 3/4 frames of honey stores except for 1. That hive is very strong but was in real danger of starving, so took a few frames out of the freezer for putting in.

The plum trees look like they will bloom in the next warm weather, apples and pears are still a couple of weeks off. Willow has the very start of leaves and buds.

Definitely looking forward to a rise in temperature.

27 minutes ago, DylanL123 said:

When do y'all reckon the main honey flow will start this year? Based in Auckland, and want to be ready when it hits :D

Flow should hit Whitecliffs on Thursday with 21c .... only Honey Dew , but that's nicer than sugar syrup.

• Like 2
25 minutes ago, DylanL123 said:

Start date is a bit tricky as it does vary by site but if you've got bee numbers high by early Nov you're usually good.  This past season it was done and dusted everywhere by about Dec 20th, and the year before perhaps a week into January at most.

• Agree 2

Apivar seems to be working. Sugar shake had worst 2 hives at 11 mites, they are now at 1 and 2. DWV present in one, with 3 or 4 anaemic crawlers seen dumped out the front each AM.

A lot better than a month ago but that virus needs to go, and the last few varroa too.

Practice cups sprouting up all over the show in the strongest hive and the brood area is expanding fast.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, DeeGeeBee said:

The plum trees look like they will bloom in the next warm weather, apples and pears are still a couple of weeks off. Willow has the very start of leaves and buds.

Wow. That's all well behind Christchurch. All the plums are set, willows are going for it and the pear tree is about to burst. Apples still taking their time (that reminds me, need to get the codlin moth kit ready...)

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
37 minutes ago, CHCHPaul said:

Looks tricky for the eels to get up. What is it? A natural waterfall or dam?

Rere Falls, they jump off here in the summer! Bit of detris in the water at the moment. 2kms up the road is Rere rockslide.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, CraBee said:

Start date is a bit tricky as it does vary by site but if you've got bee numbers high by early Nov you're usually good.  This past season it was done and dusted everywhere by about Dec 20th, and the year before perhaps a week into January at most.

We are only getting started in Dec.

• Agree 1