Trevor Gillbanks

September 2018 Apiary Diary

47 minutes ago, northernbee said:

you can buy it as a coffee substitute for the caffeine junkies trying to wean off, i have a  bag here 

Why would anyone want to wean themselves off coffee???

• Agree 3
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, dansar said:

Why would anyone want to wean themselves off coffee???

10kg of green beans just packed away. Ethiopian is my current favourite.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, northernbee said:

you can buy it as a coffee substitute for the caffeine junkies trying to wean off, i have a  bag here 

I've  just ordered some to give it a try . I'd never heard of it. Is it any good?

4 minutes ago, M4tt said:

I've  just ordered some to give it a try . I'd never heard of it. Is it any good?

Ridiclously bitter, really really bad. High caffeine coffee (eg robusta) is also terrible tasting, though that might be for a different reason. Robusta looks amazing, with masses of crema. It tastes like burning tyres and you might not sleep every again.

Edit: I misunderstood and thought you had bought caffeine. I have no idea what chicory tastes like.

Edited by cBank
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, kaihoka said:

@Beefriendly it was the hot summer ripening all the forming bud wood.

i do not think it will be a good  year for rata though.

its too early to tell, but i am not optimistic.

Nor am I.I have never seen S.Rata in the Otira valley flower after a good year like last year so we may have to wait another 4 years and all the pohutukawa have very little bud growth,all leaf growth

• Agree 1

24 minutes ago, M4tt said:

no

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, kaihoka said:

no

Maybe with a squirt of honey , or will that ruin the honey ?

3 minutes ago, M4tt said:

Maybe with a squirt of honey , or will that ruin the honey ?

Definitely need something stronger than honey to mask the taste.

Try rum 

• Agree 1
  • Haha 1

The Tagasaste flowering here is just unbelievable. Been doing it for months and instead of fading is getting stronger. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

22 minutes ago, yesbut said:

The Tagasaste flowering here is just unbelievable. Been doing it for months and instead of fading is getting stronger. 

Same here 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

22 minutes ago, Beefriendly said:

CCCF04E5-4925-4BAB-896E-D82240F58D04.thumb.jpeg.28b23b3e95501842c6a0c298c00b521f.jpeg

there’s another visitor on ours!

He is just checking you have him counted in The Great Kereru Count. Starts today!

• Haha 2

https://www.radionz.co.nz/news/national/367026/the-great-kereru-count-has-begun

8 minutes ago, cBank said:

He is just checking you have him counted in The Great Kereru Count. Starts today!

I’ve just seen this...

yep I’ll be keeping my eyes peeled

hes been only metres from the house and you hear the swish as he flys past

He’s a new visitor this year. Seen mid August

We have a view of Mangatautri from our kitchen window

Edited by Beefriendly
Additional info
  • Like 2

bit of a flow on in wellington. A full depth super added on the 9th of september is now full of honey..

• Like 4

I’ve just finished another round on my hives .

All have Phil’s OA staples in varying from between 32.5% OA and 40% OA. One thing that’s glaringly obvious is the 40% staples are dry and crusty and none have been chewed . The 32.5% staples get chewed out pretty quickly. 

With the staples in , the hives are thriving . They are building ever faster , bringing in surplus nectar and storing pollen . Brood patterns are excellent on fresh frames . 

Two hives are two boxes nearly full of bees and lots of brood . I’ve prepared these to split next weekend by putting a new drawn frame into the middle of the brood nest , which I’ve actually done with all hives as this is standard practice in stretching/expanding the brood nest to keep the bees occupied and build up for the flow.

Anyway, my point is, next visit , I will take one box away to another site with the queen and most of the brood covered in bees . Behind on the original site will stay the fresh frame of eggs and all the flight bees , who will make me a new queen and interrupt any swarming urges . 

And the best thing is I’ve only used two bags of sugar across 32 hives , half of which is still unused . It’s currently a very very nice spring 

• Like 4
  • Good Info 1

21 hours ago, M4tt said:

Erm... in my family these substitutes are listed as "only in war and famine" like chicory, margarine, hitler bacon...

By the way no, it's not good. It's bitter as hell and absolutely not coffee-like. 

14 minutes ago, Gabor said:

Erm... in my family these substitutes are listed as "only in war and famine" like chicory, margarine, hitler bacon...

By the way no, it's not good. It's bitter as hell and absolutely not coffee-like. 

Maybe it’s just one off suckers like me that try it . If it’s no good I’ll see if any of the livestock will have a go?

• Haha 2

@M4tt is taking one for the team .:14_relaxed:

• Haha 3

15 hours ago, M4tt said:

Maybe it’s just one off suckers like me that try it . If it’s no good I’ll see if any of the livestock will have a go?

Then @Philbeemay turn it into a new varroa treatment - GL/CH. Varroa will not die however it will run away from NZ.

• Agree 1
  • Haha 2

Spring starts today (1:54 pm NZST), and it's a warm sunny day dig into the hives in Ashhurst.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Russ said:

Spring starts today (1:54 pm NZST), and it's a warm sunny day dig into the hives in Ashhurst.

Another who adheres to the equinox calendar!

• Agree 1

Another day at work but all those Hives in the Background and a few hundred more look like the one in the pic so will need splitting soon which means I really need to get some queens going

paradice.jpg

another box required.jpg

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Philbee said:

Another day at work but all those Hives in the Background and a few hundred more look like the one in the pic so will need splitting soon which means I really need to get some queens going

paradice.jpg

Hive in the foreground look a bit firey!!!

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, M4tt said:

Hive in the foreground look a bit firey!!!

Na, its cool,

They still had their winter entrances till today.

• Confused 1

8 minutes ago, Philbee said:

Na, its cool,

They still had their winter entrances till today.

Ha, no, I’m meaning the one with the firearm poking out of it ?

• Haha 1