Trevor Gillbanks

September 2018 Apiary Diary

1 hour ago, dansar said:

I am home a sitting down I can feel it all cramping up again 😟

Get yourself a spa pool , use it , and keep active😉

I know exactly what you mean and moving is the best physio. 

Lying about is not 

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, jamesc said:

Yeah .... I had that once. I had to lie on the floor for two days before I could think of moving. I had a bad back from day one of bee keeping and went to all sorts of Chiropractors who said I should probably think of a career change. When I met my  wife to be her sister was a massage therapist and after six months of regular weekly massage the back is  now as good as gold..... mostly. I think the secret is to keep the muscles and ligaments supple ..... yoga.... swimming..... cycling ........ lifting Bee boxes !

good as gold . 

And probably stick to 3/4 boxes from the very beginning ...

• Agree 2

5 minutes ago, tudor said:

And probably stick to 3/4 boxes from the very beginning ...

And only yesterday Dan was chortling about cycling out the last 3/4 from his hobby days !

• Agree 1
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, M4tt said:

Get yourself a spa pool , use it , and keep active😉

I know exactly what you mean and moving is the best physio. 

Lying about is not 

Got the spa pool. Needs a clean out after mister 9 thought it would cool to put dish wash detergent in with him. It was cool for him, not for me

• Haha 3

Just now, yesbut said:

And only yesterday Dan was chortling about cycling out the last 3/4 from his hobby days !

😁 I haven’t lifted any FD boxes of honey since I can’t remember 2 seasons ago.

Maybe to think about changing to leaf type hives or at least to adapt own hives to that.. So far I still stick to langs, but as the problems which cause heavy lifting and watching some old beeks which figure look as question mark.. got me slight thinking of leaf hives, or at least farrar..

• Good Info 1

"Bee tree hive" I will say no more... yes I will. Good luck with the back @dansar I'm sure you'll be fine with that crane you have. Your offspring looks just the right size to smoke the entrance and pop the top. Wifey can crack the top super and the you're away laughing. Tee hee.

That time of year when minds move on to moisture...

just slightly drier than last year for most.

smd_map.png

Edited by DeeGeeBee
correct image

A few Waikato farms where I have hives are setting up to sow chicory, I wonder if they are planning for a dry summer?

@M4tt?

Feeling like a proud father... 🤣

I had a single box hive that I discovered that the queen had stopped laying in a couple of weeks back. She had definitely been laying two weeks before that. I found the remnants of a supercedure cell, but didn't look too hard for the virgin as it was cold. I gave them a frame of brood to look after and hopefully start a Qcell. When I went in again this morning to give them another frame of brood I noticed that they hadn't built any Qcells from last time... so I dug around a bit and found a patch of eggs, then a lovely new queen!

Hooray! Wasn't really expecting mating success in Christchurch during September.

• Like 12

2 hours ago, dansar said:

A few Waikato farms where I have hives are setting up to sow chicory, I wonder if they are planning for a dry summer?

@M4tt?

Those that grow chicory crops tend to do it every year and get hooked on it for summer protein . 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, M4tt said:

Those that grow chicory crops tend to do it every year and get hooked on it for summer protein . 

Oh yum... Grow it properly and it's delicious. 

Chicory when grown for seed yields a remarkable amount of honey.  It's thin and a bit bitter to my taste but there is bound to be someone out there that likes it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, john berry said:

Chicory when grown for seed yields a remarkable amount of honey.  It's thin and a bit bitter to my taste but there is bound to be someone out there that likes it.

I had read that. It seems it would be good honey to blend with a sweeter type.

although I get the feeling this crop will never see a flower.

i wonder if I can convince them to sow another 10 acres just for the bees🤔😁

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, M4tt said:

Do they put the stock in before it flowers.

A field of flowering chicory would be a beautiful sight .

18 minutes ago, kaihoka said:

Do they put the stock in before it flowers.

A field of flowering chicory would be a beautiful sight .

Oh yes , it’s grazed at 20 to 30 cm high while it’s palatable .

It can get up to and over a metre tall when it flowers , but by then it’s just a woody stalk .

I find plantain in the permanent pasture mix is a better option , but it’s of no use to bees 

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, M4tt said:

Oh yes , it’s grazed at 20 to 30 cm high while it’s palatable .

It can get up to and over a metre tall when it flowers , but by then it’s just a woody stalk .

I find plantain in the permanent pasture mix is a better option , but it’s of no use to bees 

The dairy farmers plant some sort of Brasica on their winter run off down  the

Road.

I often think if they let  It flower it would be a great food source for the bees.

• Agree 1

My father and his BK mates used to sow it in front of the hives to fill in the gaps between other flowers in the area. Never mind no-one made a very good honey crop ever since there were more than two hundreds of hives.

Maybe around early '80s my mom made me chicory/milk as cocoa was on shortage. 😊

• Like 2

Brits old enough to remember WW11 rationing will recall Camp coffee substitute made with chicory, I developed quite a taste for it.

Guess I will never fit into Kiwi coffee culture then   🍪

1 hour ago, DuncanCook said:

Brits old enough to remember WW11 rationing will recall Camp coffee substitute made with chicory, I developed quite a taste for it.

Guess I will never fit into Kiwi coffee culture then   🍪

I drunk a lot of chicory coffee in the 80s .

I would be really desperate to drink it again .

A lot of that stuff came from Poland downwind from Chernobyl

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, DuncanCook said:

Brits old enough to remember WW11 rationing will recall Camp coffee substitute made with chicory

I grew up on a farm in South Otago call the Chicory Farm and it had a large concrete building that housed a kiln owned by Greggs that was used to dry the chicory.  It is now classified as an historic building and can be seen across the river from the Balclutha railway yards.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Hector Wong said:

I grew up on a farm in South Otago call the Chicory Farm and it had a large concrete building that housed a kiln owned by Greggs that was used to dry the chicory.  It is now classified as an historic building and can be seen across the river from the Balclutha railway yards.

That's a relief . I am sure we drank Greg's .

4 hours ago, kaihoka said:

I drunk a lot of chicory coffee in the 80s .

I would be really desperate to drink it again .

Dunno Kaihoka, if it was between that, or a lite almond milk decafe soy frappucino with sheeps cream and a teaspoon of coconut sugar and a sprinkle of ground up carob on top, I'd be tempted, but then I start the day with gregs.

• Good Info 1
  • Haha 8

1 hour ago, Dennis Crowley said:

Dunno Kaihoka, if it was between that, or a lite almond milk decafe soy frappucino with sheeps cream and a teaspoon of coconut sugar and a sprinkle of ground up carob on top, I'd be tempted, but then I start the day with gregs.

Every word of this hurts me, beginning to end.

• Agree 1
  • Haha 3