Tomm

NZBF Not too well!!?

Of my 2 hives one is doing well. Quite a lot of brood and Bees doing well. Other not so good. Hive was very damp inside. Not sloping to entrance and so very wet inside.. Many frames look moldy and green and not much honey left. I cleaned and dried base and replaced about 4 of the frames with full honey frames.. Didn't see any brood. What do you think I should do next? New queen? 

Give them a frame of eggs from your other hive and see what they do with it . A feed of light syrup , little and often wouldn’t hurt either 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Tomm said:

Of my 2 hives one is doing well. Quite a lot of brood and Bees doing well. Other not so good. Hive was very damp inside. Not sloping to entrance and so very wet inside.. Many frames look moldy and green and not much honey left. I cleaned and dried base and replaced about 4 of the frames with full honey frames.. Didn't see any brood. What do you think I should do next? New queen? 

I have had trouble with a wet top board and wet top box for the first time this winter .

I have spare dry  boxes and have swapped the wet box for dry ones .

The ground has been so wet .

I have put a board under the hive , which is raised up 6 inches .

• Like 1
  • Good Info 1

New queen for sure. New frame of brood would be a good idea to boost numbers til the queen gets put in with also added honey. Lots of maintenance needed!

Edited by Steviegreer

On 23/08/2018 at 8:21 PM, Tomm said:

How many bees are in it?

Its not worth saving it and weakening your other hive if there aren’t enough bees to keep a frame of brood warm, you just end up compromising your other colony early on you could lose both of them.

If you don’t have more than a third of a box of bees and a queen then you might be better to unite them for now and split again later.

It can be hard to give the best advice without all the info ?

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

5 hours ago, Daley said:

How many bees are in it?

Its not worth saving it and weakening your other hive if there aren’t enough bees to keep a frame of brood warm, you just end up compromising your other colony early on you could lose both of them.

If you don’t have more than a third of a box of bees and a queen then you might be better to unite them for now and split again later.

It can be hard to give the best advice without all the info ?

Agree, its like killing your healthy chicken to make chicken soup for your sick chicken.

• Agree 1

Do you guys insulate the top of hives during winter? It's getting common practice in the UK and insulation reduces honey consumption and hives are generally drier and less mouldy in spring. (Open Mesh floors are used).

41 minutes ago, AdamD said:

Do you guys insulate the top of hives during winter? It's getting common practice in the UK and insulation reduces honey consumption and hives are generally drier and less mouldy in spring. (Open Mesh floors are used).

Some people do.

Ive never seen anyone using insulation, but a hive mat is fairly common place

19 hours ago, AdamD said:

Have also read articles from the UK that the hive takes longer to warm up on a good sunny day if insulated.

On 23/08/2018 at 8:21 PM, Tomm said:

........................... What do you think I should do next? ...............

Take few pics and we can give better advises.

On 27/08/2018 at 8:41 PM, AdamD said:

I personally moved to mesh floors for many years and no mold since.

Most of us use galvanized steel lids(0.75mm or 0.50mm). I use 25-30mm polystyrene sheets into those lids + hive mats. Also a plastic sheet under the hive mat in the winter(the hot air will be locked under the plastic sheet and the bees will have a very good climate).

However this is my second winter with my new ply lids(18mm marine ply + 19mm raisers - because I did not have thinner raisers at the time I made the lids) and no hive mats. Burr comb is not a major however my next lids will have 10mm raisers. And hole in the lid and feed with a bucket.

I've recently bought my first ever regulation matt and migratory lid. First and last. What a horrid system. 

@yesbut regulation matt and migratory lid. ??

1 hour ago, kaihoka said:

@yesbut regulation matt and migratory lid. ??

Yes, the hardboard thing and tin lid with the gaps

2 hours ago, yesbut said:

Yes, the hardboard thing and tin lid with the gaps

What do you normally use 

42 minutes ago, kaihoka said:

What do you normally use 

The best ones are a plastic feed bag over the top of the frames and a sheet of corrugated iron cut to size for about 50mm overhang all round. All weighted down with a big firewood ring or river boulder ?

KISS at its best

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, dansar said:

The best ones are a plastic feed bag over the top of the frames and a sheet of corrugated iron cut to size for about 50mm overhang all round. All weighted down with a big firewood ring or river boulder ?

KISS at its best

Good info. I’ve got a couple of super tight fitting, thick galv, lids, riveted and joint sealed. They are a complete pain to get on as they are so tight and I regularly have to leaver them on with the hive tool. I thought this would be good, keeping the rain out.

They are damp as all hell and I suspect that they lack airflow.

Edited by cBank

My lids are 100 x 25  pallet slats held together with a couple of battens on top, and overhanging flat galv sitting on top, there's a 25 mm airgap tween lid & roof.  The bees glue up any gaps they don't like.

Edited by yesbut
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, yesbut said:

My lids are 100 x 25  pallet slats held together with a couple of battens on top, and overhanging flat galv sitting on top, there's a 25 mm airgap tween lid & roof.  The bees glue up any gaps they don't like.

When the weather fines up, any chance of a photo? This sounds way better than my lids. That’ll teach me for assuming the more expensive model was better.

I saw these hives in Paris - it had me thinking, though given that they are well shaded I wasn’t clear on their purpose.

119BCEB9-669C-4089-8DCC-572CF1F91B1A.jpeg

F251B728-4443-48C6-BCA9-C4A25DA7A56E.jpeg

Edited by cBank
  • Like 2

I have to consider windage and horizontal rain .

26 minutes ago, cBank said:

When the weather fines up

What are you talking about ? Any finer I'll have to put the sunnies on

• Like 1

4 hours ago, cBank said:

saw these hives in Paris - it had me thinking, though given that they are well shaded I wasn’t clear on their purpose.

They're in Paris. Its all about style- and you have to admit they do look elegant.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

8 hours ago, Mummzie said:

They're in Paris. Its all about style- and you have to admit they do look elegant.

Agreed, but what are they for? I like the stands too.

5 hours ago, cBank said:

Agreed, but what are they for? I like the stands too.

I don't think they really serve much purpose except for their esthetics. It looks like a public park..?

Edited by Hellsbelle

18 hours ago, cBank said:

When the weather fines up, any chance of a photo?

IMG_20180830_110703_BURST005 (Medium).jpg

IMG_20180830_110823 (Medium).jpg

• Like 4