yesbut

Comvita not out backdoor just yet

Quite funny how Comvita has a partnership with australia for more leptospermum.. when we're fighting for manuka naming rights and theyre clearly changing the name to manuka via the bypass. Anyone else figure that out or?

• Agree 1

do reporters go out and find the 'scoops' or does the company ask to be interviewed? Looking for more investors maybe? Higher profile, Lifting the share prices..

Not sure where the share price works within this-  Was near $9 in Jan now less than $6

Some years ago, Country Calendar covered the 'success' of partnership between Wrightons and Urugauy - milking cows with New Zealand support in Urugauy . Within a short time, investors lost out.  The coverage gave them investors.  

I reckon Country Calendar could do a 'Country Calendar Revisited".  Been a few failures- 

• Agree 2

If you had to burn a technoset hive would it melt .?

How many other beekeeping operations could afford this? 

"Instead of delivering a $4.5 million profit, the beekeeping divisions posted a $6.2m after-tax loss."

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, Rob's BP said:

How many other beekeeping operations could afford this? 

"Instead of delivering a $4.5 million profit, the beekeeping divisions posted a $6.2m after-tax loss."

Would that be honey produced was worth less than what it cost to run the beekeeping side of the business ?

1 hour ago, frazzledfozzle said:

Would that be honey produced was worth less than what it cost to run the beekeeping side of the business ?

It suggests that. It’s difficult to get a handle on business though with creative accounting and what gets assigned where.

Id expect a fair bit of that is wages and depreciation 

• Agree 2

At the end of yesterday, Comvita shares dropped 1% to 5.65.  Not a positive response yet. 

9.3 million doesn’t sound like much profit for a company the size of Comvita

I posted this in another thread as well. I figure the honey sales figures equate to around $150 gross per hive held by the outfit. Bit of guess work as they are not open about how many hives they have.

Given we are talking Manuka sales largely, it isn't a good return per hive at all.

Not a surprise the shares slid a little.

1 hour ago, frazzledfozzle said:

9.3 million doesn’t sound like much profit for a company the size of Comvita

Historically (and as a generalisation) Comvita's dividend has been less than bank's interest rates. Shareholders would have done better putting funds on term deposit.

The shareprice fluctuations are a different beast, and yous takes your chances with that one.

11 hours ago, Gino de Graaf said:

At the end of yesterday, Comvita shares dropped 1% to 5.65.  Not a positive response yet. 

Went to nearly 6.00 today, 

I hear rumours that, comvita are selling hives locally at fairly cut rate prices.

4 hours ago, john berry said:

I hear rumours that, comvita are selling hives locally at fairly cut rate prices.

I wonder why they would be doing that