What does 'pure manuka' mean?

2 hours ago, Gino de Graaf said:

Big Hands- he can't wear gloves, drinks tea instead of water (no water, even on hot days) and drove a hilux with the spare tyre on the roof.  A delayed welcome home. 

Thank you for that and I am writing a book.

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I liked her , she was another girl with good ideas. But she wasn't a girl . I feel cheated .?

Jeez @Merk and others, why some of the beekeepers on this site such knockers and tall poppy cutters?   Here is another company/organisation trying their best, within the law even if it's ver

It’s not the same.   Unless you’ve spent a season pulling honey boxes off by the hundreds and thousands in 35degree heat, in full overalls and gloves, with no breeze, being stung by angry be

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Sailabee said:

Adam, as a non beekeeper, you have no way of understanding that some of the manuka being sold overseas has no NZ content at all - including the honey, and we can also have container loads of drumed honey leaving NZ labeled as something completely different, and no-one knows.

Hi Sailabee. Please don't bring the 'non Beekeeper' line to the party. For good or bad I am totally immersed in this industry from dusk til dawn. I am more than aware. I am up against it every day. Internationally it is a constant battle. Do you really think I came down in the last rain fall? 

• Like 3
55 minutes ago, Daley said:

It’s not the same.

Unless you’ve spent a season pulling honey boxes off by the hundreds and thousands in 35degree heat, in full overalls and gloves, with no breeze, being stung by angry bees then it’s hard to realise the sheer amount of work that goes into a kg of honey.

All my boxes get lifted one by one, and I lift them all at least 4 times when they are full, it adds up.

I’m not complaining and I wouldn’t trade it for an airconditioned office.

Just saying.

Unless you’ve done it you don’t know what it’s like.

Very hard work.

I pull the honey in the extreme heat like you but in a previous life myself or workmates would spend spend multiple weeks on the road living out of a suitcase surviving on 5 hours sleep a night. While my bees might not care if I'm grumpy try being fantastically positive 20 days in a row when you can hardly remember what city you are in. I wouldn't go back to that life style for anything.

By all means discuss honey types, but never underestimate the effort people like Adam make to sell stuff that makes money that flows back to your pocket. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
4 hours ago, Gino de Graaf said:

Big Hands- he can't wear gloves, drinks tea instead of water (no water, even on hot days) and drove a hilux with the spare tyre on the roof.  A delayed welcome home. 

Also drove international pickups had Subaru wagons full of bees. And got me back into a industry I love plus fulled a young boy with story's of heroism but that's a life time ago.

I ask about 1080 because I believe it will be a problem that will come up and China has been burnt before a no test is a good test and argument that it's not in honey and is a non avent I feel testing for Roundup because it's in the news but there's enough of the other stuff to kill 70 million people don't quote me on the exact number used in our country.

The photos going round the net maybe fake but doesn't take much to set the world alight.

Look at how fast things went round the net over the leavy debacle.

Ps I don't approve of the dumping of 1080 I don't think it will ever get us to Predator free and I don't like the way anamals a just called by kill and move on rats and mice will always breed faster than our natives but I digress sorry 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
39 minutes ago, Bushy said:

By all means discuss honey types, but never underestimate the effort people like Adam make to sell stuff that makes money that flows back to your pocket. 

Oh I don’t.

Mental exhaustion is another thing entirely.

I can’t claim to know what marketing is like day to day.

BIg Hands .... we may have our differences ..... but you were always in our thoughts while you were on 'Holiday" ..... the phones crapped out on the beach, but would a cup of tea work in Kumara tomorrow, very late in the afternoon, so it might be the right colour but slightly stronger.

10 minutes ago, Daley said:

Oh I don’t.

Mental exhaustion is another thing entirely.

I can’t claim to know what marketing is like day to day.

I do not know how you manage that much physical hard work .

My 4 hives is enough .

Lifting a full  honey super is nearly beyond me .

The worst thing about living on the same high maintenance lifestyle block for 40 yrs is it is really obvious how much ageing slows you down .

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
26 minutes ago, glynn said:

Also drove international pickups had Subaru wagons full of bees. And got me back into a industry I love plus fulled a young boy with story's of heroism but that's a life time ago.

I ask about 1080 because I believe it will be a problem that will come up and China has been burnt before a no test is a good test and argument that it's not in honey and is a non avent I feel testing for Roundup because it's in the news but there's enough of the other stuff to kill 70 million people don't quote me on the exact number used in our country.

The photos going round the net maybe fake but doesn't take much to set the world alight.

Look at how fast things went round the net over the leavy debacle.

Ps I don't approve of the dumping of 1080 I don't think it will ever get us to Predator free and I don't like the way anamals a just called by kill and move on rats and mice will always breed faster than our natives but I digress sorry 

The big problem with politics and the runnimg of NZ Inc is that the left hand has no idea what the right hand is doing.  The question is, will we ever change that ? I think not .... Even in our small business , I am away several night s a week and the missus runs the farm, then i get home and poke  my nose in and all hell breaks loose. 

It takes a staunch leader to hold control and keeep every string tight.  Our society is so complex now even Superman would be sweating.

We are taught that the secret to leadership is delegation .... but all too often the autonomous delegate has a personal agenda.

I drank tea today with a  man beneath his flowering Kowhai tree. The Bellbird and Tui were having a feast, and the possums were hammering the vegies.  The two edged sword. Where is the compromise ?

• Like 2
11 minutes ago, kaihoka said:

I do not know how you manage that much physical hard work .

My 4 hives is enough .

Lifting a full  honey super is nearly beyond me .

The worst thing about living on the same high maintenance lifestyle block for 40 yrs is it is really obvious how much ageing slows you down .

I wonder that myself at the start of harvest each season ?

You age more if you stop doing stuff, it’ll keep you young 

• Like 4
4 minutes ago, Daley said:

I wonder that myself at the start of harvest each season ?

You age more if you stop doing stuff, it’ll keep you young 

It's a mental thing ..... it pays not to look too far ahead ..... I have one beer left but  there is bread and honey for breakfast. After that..... who knows what the heck will happen. It's not too important..... except It would be good to catch up with Big Hands.

11 hours ago, Daley said:

It’s not the same.

Unless you’ve spent a season pulling honey boxes off by the hundreds and thousands in 35degree heat, in full overalls and gloves, with no breeze, being stung by angry bees then it’s hard to realise the sheer amount of work that goes into a kg of honey.

All my boxes get lifted one by one, and I lift them all at least 4 times when they are full, it adds up.

I’m not complaining and I wouldn’t trade it for an airconditioned office.

Just saying.

Unless you’ve done it you don’t know what it’s like.

Very hard work.

I am not arguing about the demands, mental or physical of any job over an other. All career paths have their own demands. My issue was specifically with this part of the statement:

'you have no way of understanding that some of the manuka being sold overseas has no NZ content at all - including the honey, and we can also have container loads of drumed honey leaving NZ labeled as something completely different, and no-one knows.'

Neither being at the Beekeeping end or Marketing end of this industry has any bearing on understanding this statement. Of course I am aware (Acutely), we have to fight against this in the open international market every day. 

Adam

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Adam Boot said:

I am not arguing about the demands, mental or physical of any job over an other. All career paths have their own demands. My issue was specifically with this part of the statement:

'you have no way of understanding that some of the manuka being sold overseas has no NZ content at all - including the honey, and we can also have container loads of drumed honey leaving NZ labeled as something completely different, and no-one knows.'

Neither being at the Beekeeping end or Marketing end of this industry has any bearing on understanding this statement. Of course I am aware (Acutely), we have to fight against this in the open international market every day. 

Adam

There is quite an interesting documentary series on Netflix called Rotten which has an episode on honey adulteration.

Well worth watching.

I don’t know that we do need to fight against it, it’s like if you buy a counterfeit Gucci handbag for $20 - do you blame Gucci? Or should you have been a little bit more clued up when you bought it?

• Like 1
56 minutes ago, Daley said:

There is quite an interesting documentary series on Netflix called Rotten which has an episode on honey adulteration.

Well worth watching.

I don’t know that we do need to fight against it, it’s like if you buy a counterfeit Gucci handbag for $20 - do you blame Gucci? Or should you have been a little bit more clued up when you bought it?

You need to fight it. Otherwise governments will be the ones more clued up and will fight it for their citizens. Major access markets for manuka (or more correctly "manuaka"-ish) were very close to being slammed shut. There might be some complaints about the MPI standard but its keeping market access open . . . and differentiating NZ honey from Australia's.

See you at Monday's meeting @Daley ? @Bron ? @Merk ?

• Good Info 1
20 hours ago, JohnF said:

You need to fight it. Otherwise governments will be the ones more clued up and will fight it for their citizens. Major access markets for manuka (or more correctly "manuaka"-ish) were very close to being slammed shut. There might be some complaints about the MPI standard but its keeping market access open . . . and differentiating NZ honey from Australia's.

See you at Monday's meeting @Daley ? @Bron ? @Merk ?

Very well said. I don't think people in the industry were aware how close we were to having the door shut. The consequence would have been devastating. 

4 minutes ago, Adam Boot said:

Very well said. I don't think people in the industry were aware how close we were to having the door shut. The consequence would have been devastating. 

Adam why not walk us through this story

Give some examples and possibly names of entities and or countries involved that might help to make these stories real in the minds of the masses

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
1 minute ago, Philbee said:

Adam why not walk us through this story

Give some examples and possibly names of entities and or countries involved that might help to make these stories real in the minds of the masses

It is probably best if you talk to NZTE. Their detail on this subject is complete. Having discussed this topic with them I am aware that the majority of their resource in China was spent keeping the door to trade open in the 2 years prior to the MPI Manuka definition. Similar pressure has been applied by the EU. 

• Thanks 1