Merk

What does 'pure manuka' mean?

RISK OF CLOSURE

8 minutes ago, Adam Boot said:

Merk. You crack me up. Honestly I have not laughed so much in ages. You are a gem. You keep your brand off the forum but felt it appropriate to start this topic with some one else's. You don't name your brand because you don't have the stones or spine to do so. In your opinion I am a marketing hack. So what. who cares. What is the value placed on your opinion? 

Are you trying to hide something? I don't quite get this lack of confidence with naming your brand? There is something a little amiss here in my humble opinion. 

It's simple, boot. I don't care what your opinion of me or my brand is. 

9 minutes ago, Merk said:

Cheers for the interest Fred but until you can show me how that's relevant to misleading claims by struggling honey startups I'll politely decline. 

However, as you can see from my profile pic, I assure you that I have nothing to hide. ???

Oh now Merk. It is so, so relevant. You just don't have the spine? 

And now you have decided we are a struggling start up. Really? and you concluded that how? What do you actually know about me, the company, the product, the brand, the concept. You have an opinion that you believe to be valid. You talk as though you know me. You criticise me personally. But you still won't name your brand?

1 minute ago, Merk said:

It's simple, boot. I don't care what your opinion of me or my brand is. 

If you are genuine with that comment then do tell. What is your name and what is the brand? 

Time to put up or shut up ?

• Like 2

Also, @merk has been a member of this forum for many years, he has posted regularly about manuka honey including posting testing results, his credibility is not in question on this forum.  I'm not sure the same can be said for Puriti after this bungled promotion of its launch (imho).

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, CraBee said:

What's not being mentioned is the UMF standard.   It is probably accepted that UMF represents the majority of the substantial manuka honey producers.  It is not mentioned though on the Puriti site, even though Midland Apiaries is the most recent UMF licencee?  Is there a reason for it not being mentioned?

Please look at the site again. I am sorry you missed it. It is there clear indicated and displayed along with MGO. There is and explanation and endorsement. There is also a comparative table. We also use both UMF and MGO on all our labelling and branding to avoid any consumer confusion. I am a fan of the UMF and what they have achieved. I personally have no preference over either grade system. Both have validity and I believe both should be clearly explained to the consumer so as to avoid confusion. 

13 minutes ago, CraBee said:

Also, @merk has been a member of this forum for many years, he has posted regularly about manuka honey including posting testing results, his credibility is not in question on this forum.  I'm not sure the same can be said for Puriti after this bungled promotion of its launch (imho).

Really. Good for Merk. I have not questioned his credibility, only his motive. I do have a genuine concern when people can though stones anonymously. I am also surprised when someone does not hold up their own brand for scrutiny while they disparage another. I would point out that I did not start this topic. I would also ask that you explain what possible criteria you have used for determining a 'bungled' launch? Do you have access to data I am unaware of? Are you monitoring all the feedback, web traffic, signups, requests to purchase even before launch?Though you may hate or even despise PURITI and everything about it or what it stands for, the response from the consumer, the retailer and distributors both here and internationally has been the opposite and overwhelming. The thing is I have to work in a world of result over opinion. I will be judged on success alone, the ROI either stacks up or it doesn't. 

2 hours ago, Merk said:

There ain't no 100mgo honey out there that's pure manuka. Clever use of a comma. 

Does it pass the definition though? PURITI does every time. Can you same the same? The law is the law.

13 minutes ago, Adam Boot said:

Does it pass the definition though? PURITI does every time. Can you same the same? The law is the law.

I only retail one type of manuka honey, at a farmers market so its low hype . I'll dig up the mpi tests and post the results but yeah, it's at or above the standard. To be completely honest with you, at the time when mpi released the new standard I thought domestic honey was included too. Lol. 

Edited by Merk

2 minutes ago, Merk said:

I only retail one type of manuka honey, at a farmers market so its low hype . I'll dig up the mpi tests and post the results but yeah, it's at or above the standard. To be completely honest with you, at the time when mpi released the new standard I thought domestic honey was included too. Lol. 

Good on you. Excellent and I hope you do really well with your brand. Merk, I trust you I do not need to see your results. 

This is the criteria for a bungled launch:

-  You are attempting to build a brand based upon trust and integrity.

-  Your efforts to promote that brand through this forum have been called into question, by different contributors, repeatedly,  You've ploughed on regardless, argued with anyone who has expressed an alternative view, and damaged your credibility.

-  If I were an Owner or Manager of Midland Apiaries I would be pulling you quietly aside and asking telling you to pull your head in, you are conveying the wrong image.

-  I have an Honours degree in Management, and have managed businesses and people.  I am a beekeeper, we're straight-forward simple people generally, and hell would freeze over before I would do business with you,

-  If it walks like a duck and talks like a duck chances are it is a Duck, no matter what you want to tell me.

4 minutes ago, CraBee said:

-  Your efforts to promote that brand through this forum have been called into question, by different contributors, repeatedly,  You've ploughed on regardless, argued with anyone who has expressed an alternative view, and damaged your credibility.

-  If I were an Owner or Manager of Midland Apiaries I would be pulling you quietly aside and asking telling you to pull your head in, you are conveying the wrong image.

-  I have an Honours degree in Management, and have managed businesses and people.  I am a beekeeper, we're straight-forward simple people generally, and hell would freeze over before I would do business with you,

-  If it walks like a duck and talks like a duck chances are it is a Duck, no matter what you want to tell me.

Preach! 

There's nothing wrong with putting the Boot in when someone's gilding the lily

• Disagree 1

29 minutes ago, CraBee said:

Are you absolute certain that Adam Boot deserves this public serving

The only reason that Grants post beat mine is because Im sitting here totally stunned

Edited by Philbee
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 2
  • Disagree 1

2 minutes ago, Philbee said:

Are you absolute certain that Adam Boot deserves this public serving

33 minutes ago, CraBee said:

Crabee. I solute your education. We share a similar background.

Lets be clear though. That is your criteria for a bungled launch. It is not 'The' criteria. As I said I am a slave to results and ROI. I cannot work to vagaries of the 'Crabee' criterium for success or failure. 

- I will not apologise for trying to build a brand based upon principles of honesty and integrity. 

- I have tried to provide an alternative perspective or opinion rather than argue. 

- At some point in the past I honestly believed that some people using this forum would be interested in a brand concept that tries to listen to the consumer, address international concerns. Offer a fight against foriegn usurpers and work to enhance and protect the integrity of the NZ Manuka industry. I hoped there might be support for tougher standards.

- Thankfully you are not the owner. I find the people I work with quite inspirational and positive. Quite an amazing team working in a positive direction. 

- I have never asked you to do business with me. Who you do business with is no concern of mine. If your views on quality and standards are that different from mine then why would trading with you ever be in my interest? 

- How did you manage to bring a duck into the discussion?

Thank you again though for the contribution. 

Adam

• Like 1

@Grant your site your rules.

No joke though;

Ive got a masters degree in law and I haven't said anything defamatory that would expose me or the site. 

1 minute ago, Merk said:

@Grant your site your rules.

No joke though;

Ive got a masters degree in law and I haven't said anything defamatory that would expose me or the site. 

Good for you. I won a Scrabble competition once!

• Haha 2

I changed my profile name just to become more transparent.  You become far more aware of possible fall out when you actually us your real name.  

At Uni, the staff mark your papers- they own what they say.  At the end of the year students were asked to do a 'confidential' feed back/forward about staff, course.... 

It's only fair to add your name to anything you want to comment on.  I have worked out who's who behind the pseudonym's of some members, though most are dark ghosts. 

Merk? but I know who Adam Boot is. 

1 minute ago, Gino de Graaf said:

I changed my profile name just to become more transparent

I need educating, who were you please ?

Just now, yesbut said:

I need educating, who were you please ?

Lindaloo- better half set the membership up for me,  not a user name I would have chosen....  

Changed it a few months ago. 

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Gino de Graaf said:

I changed my profile name just to become more transparent.  You become far more aware of possible fall out when you actually us your real name.  

At Uni, the staff mark your papers- they own what they say.  At the end of the year students were asked to do a 'confidential' feed back/forward about staff, course.... 

It's only fair to add your name to anything you want to comment on.  I have worked out who's who behind the pseudonym's of some members, though most are dark ghosts. 

Merk? but I know who Adam Boot is. 

I am certainly not trying to hide. Happy to be shot at really. It is just part of the journey. 

3 minutes ago, Gino de Graaf said:

Lindaloo- better half set the membership up for me,  not a user name I would have chosen....  

Changed it a few months ago. 

I must admit I've had wonderings in the past about the name and tone/content of postings, thinking Grant was going to have to put up a new gender option !!   For the record (again) I'm Tony Haddon 

Edited by yesbut

1 hour ago, Grant said:

I dont think that counts for squat to be honest. All @Merk is doing so far is making a jerk of himself and making claims without substance. The last few pages of comments have nothing to say other than trying to be personally detrimental. What point is trying to be made with starting every post by addressing Adam as boot, I dont know? And to be honest, anyone else would have seen him in court by the end of page 1. In contrast @Adam Boot has been positive and countered every single post without getting into a personal tirade. 

Marketing is all about playing on words, promoting your product and inferring without actually stating a claim. It's what everyone who's cute at marketing does, including some who actively imply scientifically proven health benefits from eating honey. We're insiders, we know the spin but your claims against the product are unfounded and potentially damaging.

However, the most compelling comment at the moment would be this one

Lets go back to the lessons of watch what you say, because you guys really, really don't get it. You seriously need to address the bitching and balling that goes on in these topics.

All this is public for anyone to pick up on.

Imagine a foreign media source picking up this topic, putting their spin on it and bringing down the whole NZ honey industry based on what beekeepers have said in a public forum. Way to go boys and girls. 

Hi Grant. just for clarity purposes. I have no problem with any media organisation foreign or otherwise picking up on any comment I make. I will stand by any comment and back up any claim I have ever made. Foreign media are making some pretty detrimental comments at the moment and they are being fuelled by some expensive high profile publicity and marketing campaigns aimed squarely at undermining our industry and advance quite spurious testing and grading. A greater awareness of international views, comments, queries, questions and concerns may well point us all in a unified direction. 

Hmmm ..... me thinks Merck is having a bad hair day . Or has the mushroom seen the light,  maybe take a walk and a puff of Rua Green . Don't get me wrong, nothing wrong with a bit of entertainement on the forum.

Be advised that this topic is currently being actively monitored by moderators and it may be locked at any time.