What does 'pure manuka' mean?

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I liked her , she was another girl with good ideas. But she wasn't a girl . I feel cheated .?

Jeez @Merk and others, why some of the beekeepers on this site such knockers and tall poppy cutters?   Here is another company/organisation trying their best, within the law even if it's ver

It’s not the same.   Unless you’ve spent a season pulling honey boxes off by the hundreds and thousands in 35degree heat, in full overalls and gloves, with no breeze, being stung by angry be

Posted Images

19 hours ago, yesbut said:

Where's @Adam Boot when you need him ?

Wow sorry. Asleep at the wheel here. Just not paying attention. My fault, have been a bit busy. Did Merk have something intelligent to say on a subject he knows nothing about? Maybe he is just enjoying a dig. Just wait while I yawn and I will try and read and respond to some more drivel. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
19 hours ago, Merk said:

"Pure manuka, pure quality"

They missed out one word - honey. If they had said "pure manuka honey" they'd be breaking the law. 

I believe that this is misleading advertising. Be interested to see if anyone else can figure out what the hell "pure manuka" is. 

Screenshot_20180818-200813_Chrome.jpg

Check the law before you comment. 'Honey' would have been quite legal. Look at the context an situation. I didn't use it simply because the tag line would not have had the same ring to it. Good try though Merk. Love your approach!

18 hours ago, Merk said:

Marketing at its best? I disagree. You can't bang on about integrity and honesty in the advertising, and then call the brand 'puriti' and advertise 'pure manuka' based on mpi's (weak) minimum standard. There's stretching the truth and then there's outright misleading, and I reckon this falls under the latter category 

Merk seriously, you are so funny, #### you have made my day. As I have said repeatedly. So much, even I make myself yawn. The MPI Manuka Honey Science definition is the standard. Legally, full stop. Love it or hate it. Think it could be stronger or better - Well whoopey it is what it is. I can't reinvent that wheel and there is no point me creating another definition without weight in legislation. The only thing I can do is create a brand that voluntarily decides to make the pass marks higher, above the existing law and additionally test for Glyphosate. 

Then even though the MPI standard is just for export, we said you know what? Why not let New Zealanders by the same quality? So it is all produced to the same standard. 

You know what we did next Merk? Your going to love this, I just know it. We thought and we wonderd why is there fraudulent product hitting the overseas market. Could it be that everybody uses the same cheap and simple jars and uses simple easy to copy labels? Well I wonder. Lets make it all a little more complicated so this little treasure of New Zealand is just that bit harder to rip off. 

Then Merk you are going to like this one. Honestly I am excited just being able to tell you about it. I am just picturing that cute little smile on your face as I type. We did this really crazy thing. We decided to do all of this and still be slightly less expensive than the biggest brands in the Market. 

Crazy I know but we actually said lets absorb some of the tremendous extra cost we incur. 

Thanks for the love though Merk. Always appreciated. 

Adam

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
7 hours ago, Ali said:

I will take the long shot on this one and suggest that while the headline 'Pure Manuka' is a bit of a marketing spin type thing, the product will be as good as you can get. 

Where is my usual cynicism? Not present. I think the target audience is near the top end of the market presently, a gambit that can't afford to mess up if it is going to be successful.

Thus my money is on the product being as good, most probably better than the current required standard.

I think you may have just hit the nail quite squarely. I can assure you that the product even surpasses our standard. Just to be sure.

Adam

18 hours ago, Ali said:

Well, there's no other standard world wide currently so I guess in the lack of any opposition...........it is simply marketing. 

Thank you. Some sanity. You can only build on standards that already prevail. 

7 hours ago, CraBee said:

Look at this graph below from the site.  The image at first look tells you that Puriti is more than double if not triple the 3-pla standard.  If you look at the 

numbers you will find it is in fact 450 for Puriti v 400 for the standard.  Make up your own mind.....

Puriti_Graph1.jpg

Oh please, really? How much bigger do you want me to make the numbers on the left hand side. I was hoping that most of our target audience could read.  It is pectoral, it is clear, the numbers are not small or fudged. It says exactly what it is. 

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Merk said:

Way to make a 15% difference appear as a 300% difference...... Pretty scummy. 

Merk, you cheeky little fellow you. Were you struggling with the big numbers on the left had side? Would you like me to create a little pop up book just for you next time? 

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Ali said:

@JohnF can you hazard a guess or better at how the double/triple PLA claim can be substantiated?

My poor math ability thinks it may be a bit complex!

Never made that claim. You are putting words in my mouth. Why don't you take a look at the website? www.puriti.co.nz

Not sure where you got double/triple from. Our statements are quite clear and very accurate. The font type for the numbers is really big so that it is easy to read. 

• Agree 1
5 hours ago, Merk said:

I am certain that I could take down this "premium brand" in a week with about 1k of testing, and show that they are nothing more than an average manuka honey. 

Oh Merk you have done it now. This is my favourite by far. Love it, really do. Now Merk lets see if you have the stones for this one. I am guessing probably not, but happy to be proved wrong.

After we have launched I am happy to meet you at any stockist in the country. Then you can choose any jars of PURITI at random (I will pay for them) and we can send them to any lab of your choice. I will guarantee the PURITI will exceed any statement I have made, is on the website or on the jar label. This brand has not been produced for fun and giggles. If we say it is a higher standard then it will be at least that. This is not some sort of game we are playing here. 

27 minutes ago, Adam Boot said:

Merk, you cheeky little fellow you. Were you struggling with the big numbers on the left had side? Would you like me to create a little pop up book just for you next time? 

Adam, it's obvious the graph is designed in such a way that at a quick glance your products looks exceedingly superior.  I don't say it's not better.  Good marketing strategy, probably 101. 

I showed the graph to someone else, without prompting- response "Purity is much better".  It works. 

If the graph had started at 0 and went up in 50 whatever increments then it could show a different account.  

If you stated "sure, us marketers endevour to promote our product the best way" - be a bit more honest- I get it, and I don't really care- just didn't like your response. 

• Agree 1
1 hour ago, Gino de Graaf said:

Adam, it's obvious the graph is designed in such a way that at a quick glance your products looks exceedingly superior.  I don't say it's not better.  Good marketing strategy, probably 101. 

I showed the graph to someone else, without prompting- response "Purity is much better".  It works. 

If the graph had started at 0 and went up in 50 whatever increments then it could show a different account.  

If you stated "sure, us marketers endevour to promote our product the best way" - be a bit more honest- I get it, and I don't really care- just didn't like your response. 

Puriti honey is not better than the other manuka brands. They're the same. With a round jar and roundup testing. 

Every other half decent honey packer packages their batches a little bit over spec. It's not special. It's industry standard. 

1 hour ago, Adam Boot said:

Merk seriously, you are so funny, #### you have made my day. As I have said repeatedly. So much, even I make myself yawn. The MPI Manuka Honey Science definition is the standard. Legally, full stop. Love it or hate it. Think it could be stronger or better - Well whoopey it is what it is. I can't reinvent that wheel and there is no point me creating another definition without weight in legislation. The only thing I can do is create a brand that voluntarily decides to make the pass marks higher, above the existing law and additionally test for Glyphosate. 

Then even though the MPI standard is just for export, we said you know what? Why not let New Zealanders by the same quality? So it is all produced to the same standard. 

You know what we did next Merk? Your going to love this, I just know it. We thought and we wonderd why is there fraudulent product hitting the overseas market. Could it be that everybody uses the same cheap and simple jars and uses simple easy to copy labels? Well I wonder. Lets make it all a little more complicated so this little treasure of New Zealand is just that bit harder to rip off. 

Then Merk you are going to like this one. Honestly I am excited just being able to tell you about it. I am just picturing that cute little smile on your face as I type. We did this really crazy thing. We decided to do all of this and still be slightly less expensive than the biggest brands in the Market. 

Crazy I know but we actually said lets absorb some of the tremendous extra cost we incur. 

Thanks for the love though Merk. Always appreciated. 

Adam

I doubt you believe the crap you spout, but pray others will and in doing so buy the snake oil you are pedalling- your behaviour  meets the science definition of a Con man.  On the other hand, MPI's science definition for Manuka Honey uses 4 chemical markers and a Pollen DNA test, a test failing any one of the 5 means that Honey can not be called Manuka Honey. You can not use any of the 5 on their own to meaningfully represent the honey you are testing. You know 3-PLA is a Kanuka marker as well, and is found at much higher levels in Kanuka then it is Manuka.  Your Ad is misleading at best- only you know if it is dishonest and intentionally misrepresents what you are flogging. Honey tested to meet the 3-PLA claim in your Ad would not have to contain even one drop of Manuka.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
14 hours ago, tommy dave said:

can't be honey, otherwise they'd be in breach of all sorts of fair trading laws

i reckon it's "pure NZ honey that has been blended to pass some rubbish manuka standard"

given that @Adam Boot chose to quote most other posts and ignore this one i'm fairly confident that i'm 100% correct.

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, Merk said:

Yes, he's been very careful to avoid three words in a row: Pure Manuka Honey. 

23 minutes ago, Merk said:

Yes, he's been very careful to avoid three words in a row: Pure Manuka Honey. 

Mate .... you guys are obviously very dumb ..... here is a man that can sell Oil to Arabs, Coal to Newcastle and you want to string him up. We are talking about the survival of an industry that the Gvt had pumped to be a billion dollar national saviour and you want to shoot all of us in the groin.  How freaking dumb is that. 

Edited by jamesc
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 2
5 minutes ago, jamesc said:

Mate .... you guys are obviously very dumb ..... here is a man that can sell Oil to Arabs, Coal to Newcastle and you want to string him up. We are talking about the survival of an industry that the Gvt had pumped to be a billion dollar national saviour and you are shooting yourselves in the groin.  How freaking dumb is that. 

James, misleading claims and dishonest marketing don't help the manuka brand, or the industry. 

Discerning consumers want authenticity these days; hyperbole and puffery only do damage. 

Edited by Merk
  • Agree 3

The jury will comprise of customers in the end I guess @Adam Boot, probably not many of them on here.

Can you (are you at liberty to) comment on the product in as much as whether non Manuka honey is blended into the product? It does seem to be a practice that others follow.

Wholly NZ owned company?

15 minutes ago, Merk said:

James, misleading claims and dishonest marketing don't help the manuka brand, or the industry. 

Discerning consumers want authenticity these days; hyperbole and puffery only do damage. 

well lets wait ttil the cookie is cooked , then make judgement.