Merk

What does 'pure manuka' mean?

RISK OF CLOSURE

One of the latest comments from Puriti Facebook page 

manuka honey is one of my favorites.  Usually cists about $35.oo a kilo. The real stuff  oh i really get pissed off when i see the pour tourist getting ripped off .
Whilst on on holiday in the Sth Island last month. Saw manuka honey for a $1000. For a 500gm pot. 
What a rip off. Me thinks my Kilo pot came from the same area.

This is Puriti’s response 

Hi Paul. How do you know you kilo is actually Manuka Honey. On the basis that we could not harvest it, test it and clean it for $35 it would certainly ring alarm bells. The moral dilemma then is who was ripped off? The person who spent $1000 on 500g of Manuka Honey or the person who spent $35 on a kilo of honey they thought was Manuka?

Pure is a relative term
Id be happy if my pot of pure Manuka Honey was 80% Manuka and 20% some other good honey.
Lets not get bogged down in irreverent detail because at the end of the day that 20% other honey is probably as good as Honey gets.

Pure water probably contains atoms of all sorts of things like when the fish cant get out of the water for a pee. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Philbee said:

Pure is a relative term
Id be happy if my pot of pure Manuka Honey was 80% Manuka and 20% some other good honey.
Lets not get bogged down in irreverent detail because at the end of the day that 20% other honey is probably as good as Honey gets.

Pure water probably contains atoms of all sorts of things like when the fish cant get out of the water for a pee. 

Dont say that.

I dont want my ocean swimming ruined by the thought that I am wallowing in a urine soup .

• Haha 1

I was more concerned that Puriti couldn’t sell honey for $35kg and turn a profit. 

25 minutes ago, frazzledfozzle said:

I was more concerned that Puriti couldn’t sell honey for $35kg and turn a profit. 

That's because they've had to develop an expensive process to filter out the BPee

15 minutes ago, Philbee said:

That's because they've had to develop an expensive process to filter out the BPee

Hmmm ... John B suggests that we should be turning a profit at $6-7 /kg  ?

But without Purity’s special filtering what percentage of that $6 / kg honey is Bpee, maybe a large percentage hence the lower price?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, jamesc said:

Hmmm ... John B suggests that we should be turning a profit at $6-7 /kg  ?

John who?

2 minutes ago, Philbee said:

John who?

u know ... john B up in Gisborne ..... Berry ... there you are .... it's been a long day.  Been cursing and praising Pilbbee that the bees are so darned strong aas i have.nt seen for years pre varroa and throwing boxes on to gather the honey that will surely come to take up more space in the shed .....

1 minute ago, jamesc said:

u know ... john B up in Gisborne ..... Berry ... there you are .... it's been a long day.  Been cursing and praising Pilbbee that the bees are so darned strong aas i have.nt seen for years pre varroa and throwing boxes on to gather the honey that will surely come to take up more space in the shed .....

Oh

John B, 

but he's 105 and knows every trick in the book.

I was out mite counting today

Ive either forgotten how to catch them or there were none home.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Philbee said:

Oh

John B, 

Well yah know ..... I could wax lyrical about how usually it come back to bite you in the rear end ..... BUT ..... I been counting bees too ....  the only mites I found were in hives we put Bayvarol in cause the staple makin man was overloaded with orders  .... so .... howare you placed for new year orders ?

Got an email from MPI today about new costs etc

From a new bloke by looks

name is Dono Treply

• Haha 1

Just now, jamesc said:

Well yah know ..... I could wax lyrical about how usually it come back to bite you in the rear end ..... BUT ..... I been counting bees too ....  the only mites I found were in hives we put Bayvarol in cause the staple makin man was overloaded with orders  .... so .... howare you placed for new year orders ?

There are 24 hours in a day and so far Im only using 18 of them so you should be ok.

3 minutes ago, Philbee said:

There are 24 hours in a day and so far Im only using 18 of them so you should be ok.

OK ..... I'll be in touch . How many can u make in six hours ?

Edited by jamesc

9 minutes ago, jamesc said:

I think back to the spring when  I was a bit apprehensive about relying on staples ..... well here we are a few months later plonking honey boxes on strong hives ..... and now we are apprehensive abut using staples in the autumn ......

I liken it to the AFB dogs.  I was always an apprehensive non believer, even though I was shelling out quite a few dollars  to support the cause. Well .... here we are .... a few years down the track and I'm a smiling ...... Like ole Philbee is .... I think we cracked it Bro ! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, jamesc said:

5000ish

And of course, the most interesting part is that it did'nt take a million dollar research grant to come up with the  answers.

• Agree 3

5 minutes ago, jamesc said:

I think back to the spring when  I was a bit apprehensive about relying on staples ..... well here we are a few months later plonking honey boxes on strong hives ..... and now we are apprehensive abut using staples in the autumn ......

I liken it to the AFB dogs.  I was always an apprehensive non believer, even though I was shelling out quite a few dollars  to support the cause. Well .... here we are .... a few years down the track and I'm a smiling ...... Like ole Philbee is .... I think we cracked it Bro ! 

put them in over winter and they will do your Spring work for you

• Agree 2

put them in over winter and they will do your Spring work for you

?

33 minutes ago, frazzledfozzle said:

@Philbee how long can the staples be kept in the bucket before using

A really long time.  The acid does not leach out.  It stays tied up in the paper.

• Agree 2

9 hours ago, Philbee said:

Oh

John B, 

I know how you feel.

I keep inspecting my hives and getting zero counts.  I keep thinking that there is something wrong with my system and then I go to inspect someone else's hives (COI checks) and then I find mites.  

I know my system works but it is disappointing when I am making a video on mite counts and then I can't find the little beggars.

I need something else to worry about.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, frazzledfozzle said:

@Philbee how long can the staples be kept in the bucket before using

There are a few layers to the answer to this question.
As a Beek using Staples myself I dont hesitate to use Staples from sealed Pails that are months old and would use them 12-24 months after soaking.

However as a person who sells the Staple and gives advice or guidelines on their use its important to be very conservative in my opinions.

My opinion is to make up the Staples to be used in whatever season you are treating in

eg Use Spring Staples in Spring, Autumn Staples in Autumn/Winter.

So best to wait until autumn before ordering staples for winter.

we will still be using synthetics after the honey comes off aim too scared to do just staples .

Sorry it’s off topic and should probably be moved to the ox/gl thread :) 

Edited by frazzledfozzle

2 hours ago, frazzledfozzle said:

So best to wait until autumn before ordering staples for winter.

we will still be using synthetics after the honey comes off aim too scared to do just staples .

Sorry it’s off topic and should probably be moved to the ox/gl thread :) 

No.  You can buy the staples now.  Just hang off with putting the OA/Gl on them.  Wait until closer to use time.

I will not be using synthetics this Autumn.  I did not use them this spring. My Alcohol washes are clean so far.

Be advised that this topic is currently being actively monitored by moderators and it may be locked at any time.