What does 'pure manuka' mean?

Merk

3 hours ago, Adam Boot said:

It is probably best if you talk to NZTE. Their detail on this subject is complete. Having discussed this topic with them I am aware that the majority of their resource in China was spent keeping the door to trade open in the 2 years prior to the MPI Manuka definition. Similar pressure has been applied by the EU. 

This is why I want a packer/markerter seats on the board to keep us informed of what is happening in the market place so us beekeepers can sell our products.

• Agree 1

On 24/08/2018 at 8:07 AM, Adam Boot said:

loads of drumed honey leaving NZ labeled as something completely different, and no-one knows.'

Lol

There were once container loads of Bulk butter Cartons leaving NZ labeled as Mayonnaise 

Not many people knew about that either until they all got sent back

https://foodmag.com.au/manuka-honey-puriti/

“Puriti Manuka recently announced it has implemented strict testing and policies to ensure there is zero glyphosate contamination to its products.

It tests every single batch of honey to ensure is it free from the glyphosate herbicide.

Glyphosate is a herbicide used extensively on farms, gardens, streets, and parks. Because it is so widely used, its residue can be found in some foods.

There is also growing evidence that glyphosate may cause health issues and is carcinogenic, according to Puriti.”

The Manuka plant generally grows in wild scrub or forest areas in New Zealand, remote from where the herbicide may be used, yet there is a remote possibility of spray drift.

Nothing like putting the fear of cancer into consumers of our beautiful NZ honeys.

• Agree 3

9 hours ago, frazzledfozzle said:

Nothing like putting the fear of cancer into consumers of our beautiful NZ honeys.

I guess it depends on your perspective 

The quote would be read that way if you didn’t know that glyphosate is applied to many food crops .

I would think @Adam Boot is being proactive and assuring the customer that his product is foodsafe. 

But I agree @frazzledfozzle, it appears to cast doubt over anything else , which clever marketing or not , I disagree with .

Surely the message could be delivered slightly gentler .....

• Agree 2

The way i read it is that Puriti is a brand being put together by Midland Seeds, based in Ashburton who focus on growing small seed crops. They  bought a bee operation to secure a supply of bees to pollinate their crops when thousands  of bees were headed north to the manuka  goldfields. As such the the seed growing farms are a toxic wasteland  where the stench of chemcal is overpowering, so I guess they need to assure their customers that their product is pure.

• Like 1

We know NZ is very clean agriculturally. We also no know that international concerns about Glyphosate are real and regularly hit the press. We wanted to be able to shout about the cleanliness and quality of NZ. The way to do this is test and prove it. That is what we are doing. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Adam Boot said:

We know NZ is very clean agriculturally. We wanted to be able to shout about the cleanliness and quality of NZ. The way to do this is test and prove it. That is what we are doing. 

Well that’s not how the article reads...which Im sure you already know .

Edited by frazzledfozzle
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Cyathea said:

Our graphic artist did up a label, which said 'pure manuka honey' we asked her to change it to 'pure New Zealand manuka honey' because for sure, if you know anything at all about honey, pure manuka actually does not exist. 

Surely then to avoid confusion , it would be better as 

‘Purely NZ Manuka Honey’ 

Which well and truly emphasises that the honey is Manuka from the best and only source in the world , 

• Like 1