Merk

What does 'pure manuka' mean?

RISK OF CLOSURE

"Pure manuka, pure quality"

They missed out one word - honey. If they had said "pure manuka honey" they'd be breaking the law. 

I believe that this is misleading advertising. Be interested to see if anyone else can figure out what the hell "pure manuka" is. 

Screenshot_20180818-200813_Chrome.jpg

• Haha 1

Just marketing/branding at it's best is all it means I reckon. Not knocking it Adam.

• Disagree 1

Marketing at its best? I disagree. You can't bang on about integrity and honesty in the advertising, and then call the brand 'puriti' and advertise 'pure manuka' based on mpi's (weak) minimum standard. There's stretching the truth and then there's outright misleading, and I reckon this falls under the latter category 

Well, there's no other standard world wide currently so I guess in the lack of any opposition...........it is simply marketing. 

• Disagree 1

10 minutes ago, Ali said:

Well, there's no other standard world wide currently so I guess in the lack of any opposition...........it is simply marketing. 

So what do think 'pure manuka' is referring to? 

7 hours ago, Merk said:

can't be honey, otherwise they'd be in breach of all sorts of fair trading laws

i reckon it's "pure NZ honey that has been blended to pass some rubbish manuka standard"

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Merk said:

Firewood ?

• Haha 6

I will take the long shot on this one and suggest that while the headline 'Pure Manuka' is a bit of a marketing spin type thing, the product will be as good as you can get. 

Where is my usual cynicism? Not present. I think the target audience is near the top end of the market presently, a gambit that can't afford to mess up if it is going to be successful.

Thus my money is on the product being as good, most probably better than the current required standard.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Look at this graph below from the site.  The image at first look tells you that Puriti is more than double if not triple the 3-pla standard.  If you look at the 

numbers you will find it is in fact 450 for Puriti v 400 for the standard.  Make up your own mind.....

Puriti_Graph1.jpg

• Haha 2

Our honey was graded as multi floral Manuka one of the reasons being the 3pla was too high.

diidn5 someone on the forum say that Kanuka has a high 3pla?

Edited by frazzledfozzle

5 minutes ago, frazzledfozzle said:

Our honey was graded as multi floral Manuka one of the reasons being the 3pla was too high.

diidn5 someone on the forum say that Kanuka has a high 3pla?

No, it would have been that the 2-MAP was between 1 and 5mg/kg (> 5mg/kg for monofloral)  - if the 3PLA was high.

Yes, kanuka also has 3PLA but remember the standard is based on the 5 marker combination (not levels of one particular marker in isolation).

The issue for many with regard to kanuka is when the 3PLA is greater than 400mg/kg (notwithin the multifloral guideline) and the 2MAP is less than 1mg/kg (also outside the multifloral guideline)

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, CraBee said:

Look at this graph below from the site.  The image at first look tells you that Puriti is more than double if not triple the 3-pla standard.  If you look at the 

numbers you will find it is in fact 450 for Puriti v 400 for the standard.  Make up your own mind.....

Puriti_Graph1.jpg

Way to make a 15% difference appear as a 300% difference...... Pretty scummy. 

• Agree 3

@JohnF can you hazard a guess or better at how the double/triple PLA claim can be substantiated?

My poor math ability thinks it may be a bit complex!

Jeez @Merk and others, why some of the beekeepers on this site such knockers and tall poppy cutters?

Here is another company/organisation trying their best, within the law even if it's very close to the edge of the law, to make and maximise Manuka honey sales. Sales that drive purchasing and prices of honey that beekeepers on this site sell and benefit from. 

While I'm at it, another favorite target for the knockers is UMFHA. Where would this industry be without the huge effort and investment UMFHA has put in, that we all benefit from, even the freeloading non-UMFHA members and suppliers. Beeks would be getting a lot less, and  nowhere near >$100/kg for their best honey if it  wasn't for UMFHA. 

Another example are the people on this site who every now and again trot out the mantra that our honey is of no use internally, is no better than any other honey internally, there is no evidence blah, blah, blah. Giving ammunition for critics and undecided retailers and customers to use. If we're not positive and supporting our product and industry then who should? They're like a person sitting on the branch of a tree sawing or chopping off the branch they're sitting on!

And yes by the way there is published scientific research showing benefits of Manuka honey for internal issues. I've posted two such articles on this site and there are others too. Read and respond before trotting out the negative mantra again please. And haven't you ever met anyone in person who has testified to some internal benefit from consuming Manuka honey? If you haven't, you need to talk with our consumers and customers more. I've met at least dozens of people with such testimonies, and know of doctors who recommend it for stomach ulcers.

What we, the industry have done is unprecedented and without comparison in the world of honey. NZ honey sells on average for many times more than the next most expensive commercial honey in the world (French honey, due to French Lavender Honey). And then many of the very ones who have benefited are quick to knock the people/companies/organisations that help get them their benefit...unbelievable. Give the knocking a rest, and let/help/support these guys help us and our industry do better.

There, said my piece, now waiting for the knockers to respond and knock me for knocking their negativity.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 7
  • Good Info 2

Marketing at it's best (or worst).  

These types of graphs get used a lot- make it appear to be so much better/worse until you notice the detail.  Designed to manipulate. 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Ali said:

I will take the long shot on this one and suggest that while the headline 'Pure Manuka' is a bit of a marketing spin type thing, the product will be as good as you can get. 

Where is my usual cynicism? Not present. I think the target audience is near the top end of the market presently, a gambit that can't afford to mess up if it is going to be successful.

Thus my money is on the product being as good, most probably better than the current required standard.

I am certain that I could take down this "premium brand" in a week with about 1k of testing, and show that they are nothing more than an average manuka honey. 

6 minutes ago, Rob's BP said:

Jeez @Merk and others, why some of the beekeepers on this site such knockers and tall poppy cutters?

Here is another company/organisation trying their best, within the law even if it's very close to the edge....... 

There, said my piece, now waiting for the knockers to respond and knock me for knocking their negativity.

Rob I think I understand what you are saying and broadly agree with your sentiment. I distinguish this particular brand however, because they are making very extravagant claims and are trying to position themselves as a premium brand by knocking down all other manuka producers. 

There's enough strength in the manuka honey brand to leverage off it without misleading people. Misleading consumers will do far more damage to the manuka brand in the long term than telling the truth. 

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Rob's BP said:

Here is another company/organisation trying their best, within the law even if it's very close to the edge of the law, to make and maximise Manuka honey sales. Sales that drive purchasing and prices of honey that beekeepers on this site sell and benefit from. 

While I'm at it, another favorite target for the knockers is UMFHA. Where would this industry be without the huge effort and investment UMFHA has put in, that we all benefit from, even the freeloading non-UMFHA members and suppliers. Beeks would be getting a lot less, and  nowhere near >$100/kg for their best honey if it  wasn't for UMFHA. 

Another example are the people on this site who every now and again trot out the mantra that our honey is of no use internally, is no better than any other honey internally, there is no evidence blah, blah, blah. Giving ammunition for critics and undecided retailers and customers to use. If we're not positive and supporting our product and industry then who should? They're like a person sitting on the branch of a tree sawing or chopping off the branch they're sitting on!

And yes by the way there is published scientific research showing benefits of Manuka honey for internal issues. I've posted two such articles on this site and there are others too. Read and respond before trotting out the negative mantra again please. And haven't you ever met anyone in person who has testified to some internal benefit from consuming Manuka honey? If you haven't, you need to talk with our consumers and customers more. I've met at least dozens of people with such testimonies, and know of doctors who recommend it for stomach ulcers.

What we, the industry have done is unprecedented and without comparison in the world of honey. NZ honey sells on average for many times more than the next most expensive commercial honey in the world (French honey, due to French Lavender Honey). And then many of the very ones who have benefited are quick to knock the people/companies/organisations that help get them their benefit...unbelievable. Give the knocking a rest, and let/help/support these guys help us and our industry do better.

I do agree with what you are saying. Good on anyone making a buck, and all the better if other honey types get a boost as well 

It's just that the Manuka games has/is such poison for many.  All the agro is caused by greed at all levels-  Chasing big money.  I see you are a marketer, well you're in a different position to beekeepers who feel the pinch on the ground.  The more successful you  become selling high value honey, the more pain/uncertainty at the coal face.  I imagine there are competing beekeeping outfits barely making a buck as they fight to keep good sites. 

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

Well, I'm not so sure but if it meets or exceeds the required standard which I am sure it will, and is not a blend of non Manuka (at all as far as you practically can) then what is the problem? They seem to be pushing the marketing envelope for an advantage is all.

That is the nature of the game and I suspect no worse than a lot already out there.

Big pluses? Made in NZ, packed in NZ and I think wholly NZ owned (?) @Adam Boot?

13 minutes ago, Ali said:

@JohnF can you hazard a guess or better at how the double/triple PLA claim can be substantiated?

My poor math ability thinks it may be a bit complex!

Reading too much into it - the scale starts at 370.  They don't claim double or triple the level - it just *looks* that way in the image. 

Marketing

• Agree 2
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Ali said:

Well, I'm not so sure but if it meets or exceeds the required standard which I am sure it will, and is not a blend of non Manuka (at all as far as you practically can) then what is the problem? They seem to be pushing the marketing envelope for an advantage is all.

That is the nature of the game and I suspect no worse than a lot already out there.

Big pluses? Made in NZ, packed in NZ and I think wholly NZ owned (?) @Adam Boot?

I am certain that some of their 'mpi monofloral manuka' honey will contain a very significant amount of honey from non-manuka sources. 

Edited by Merk
  • Agree 3

3 hours ago, CraBee said:

Puriti_Graph1.jpg

Without the other markers that graph is meaningless, could just as easily be a very average Kanuka/bush blend with no Manuka at all in it.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, David Yanke said:

Without the other markers that graph is meaningless, could just as easily be a very average Kanuka/bush blend with no Manuka at all in it.

South Island beekeepers - probably is a bit like what you say. I'd say it has manuka in it, but definitely not pure. 

Edited by Merk

3 hours ago, Merk said:

I am certain that I could take down this "premium brand" in a week with about 1k of testing, and show that they are nothing more than an average manuka honey. 

why not embrace them and sell your honey to them at a good price ?

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

Be advised that this topic is currently being actively monitored by moderators and it may be locked at any time.