Questions about Corporate beekeeping

These are just questions as I don't know how larger beekeeping firms handle these things.

With respect to AFB levies/inspections etc, how does corporate beekeeping work?

Who is responsible for signing AFB declarations?

Are the beekeepers who work as employees registered as beekeepers with the NPMP?

If not, should they be captured under the NPMP?

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ok form my "branch's" perspective: Branch manager  holds 'The' DECA Staff may or may not hold their own DECA or have done the AFB course, a quick breakdown (numbers from memory): over 1

I think they are looking into this as the manger sign  All hartvest statement yet does work any hives , I got this question at one audit they are wanting the beekeeper   that works the hives 

Seems simple to me. The owner of the hives is registered. He either has a deca or staff have one.

not sure if any corporate beek will be allowed to answer ;) 

the actual guys doing the work will not be registered beeks.

whoever signs the paperwork is the one who is registered, tho i'm not sure how that works with the big crowds. probably its the branch manager. 

20 minutes ago, Trevor Gillbanks said:

So, are you saying that the branch manager does every hive inspection.  Or does he take the word of their non registered beekeepers.

he takes the word of his staff.

if hes taught them well and he makes sure they do their job, its not an issue.

being registered and knowing what to do are two different things.

the penalties are applied to the company not to the field staff. 

i'm not aware of any beek in a small crowd that is registered (other than the boss). i would assume thats the same with big crowds especially those who employ a lot of seasonal staff.

1 hour ago, tristan said:

he takes the word of his staff.

if hes taught them well and he makes sure they do their job, its not an issue.

being registered and knowing what to do are two different things.

It is my understanding that for our AFB NPMP every hive needs to be inspected annually by someone who is qualified (i.e. has a DECA). If beekeepers employed by bigger enterprises that are working/inspecting the hives do not have DECAs then the vast majority of beehives in NZ are not meeting this criteria. This strikes me as rather a big hole in our NPMP.

the penalties are applied to the company not to the field staff. 

What penalties???

Edited by Otto
  • Like 1
27 minutes ago, Otto said:

If beekeepers employed by bigger enterprises that are working/inspecting the hives do not have DECAs then the vast majority of beehives in NZ are not meeting this criteria. This strikes me as rather a big hole in our NPMP.

yes/no. bit of a hole but its the business that takes the fall out and that having all those extra staff be registered would create a massive work load.

i'm not sure on the actual wording of the law so can;t comment on that.

29 minutes ago, Otto said:

What penalties???

not sure what happens. have heard of them threating to stop a companies exports.

yes/no. bit of a hole but its the business that takes the fall out and that having all those extra staff be registered would create a massive work load.

i'm not sure on the actual wording of the law so can;t comment on that.

I struggle to see how it would create a "massive workload". Once you've passed a DECA test it costs $20 a year to be a registered beekeeper (no work at all). Anyone who has a decent amount of beekeeping experience should be able to pass the test with their eyes closed. I would have thought for many employers this would provide a perfect opportunity to offer their employees a chance for professional development.

55 minutes ago, Philbee said:

What is the definition of a Corporate?

I didn't have a specific definition in mind. I was just wondering how things worked in businesses where the owner of the beehives isn't the one doing the beekeeping. Maybe corporate wasn't the right word.

Edited by Otto
  • Like 1
18 minutes ago, Otto said:

I didn't have a specific definition in mind. I was just wondering how things worked in businesses where the owner of the beehives isn't the one doing the beekeeping. Maybe corporate wasn't the right word.

My question wasn't directly related to your post but rather a general question
We hear a lot about these corporates.

What exactly are they

52 minutes ago, Otto said:

I struggle to see how it would create a "massive workload". Once you've passed a DECA test it costs $20 a year to be a registered beekeeper (no work at all). Anyone who has a decent amount of beekeeping experience should be able to pass the test with their eyes closed. I would have thought for many employers this would provide a perfect opportunity to offer their employees a chance for professional development.

i was thinking more of the admin. mind you they have far more hobbyists coming and going than commercial. 

i could see it being an utter pain for those who have new staff from overseas every year.

plus i don't think it would change much. a lot of what they do is dictated by their boss and thats typically where the problems are. 

14 hours ago, Otto said:

It is my understanding that for our AFB NPMP every hive needs to be inspected annually by someone who is qualified (i.e. has a DECA). If beekeepers employed by bigger enterprises that are working/inspecting the hives do not have DECAs then the vast majority of beehives in NZ are not meeting this criteria. This strikes me as rather a big hole in our NPMP.

What penalties???

The deca can be held by the individual beek or by the company itself. If it’s the companies deca then as long as the staff follow the agreement they’re complying. 

• Like 1

Corporate....only a couple or so would probably meet a fair definition. Generally used here, I think, to imply the biggest of operators, often with hives, extraction, marketing and exporting in a substantial way. Part foreign ownership sometimes included. Multi million dollar assets/balance sheets.

Pretty much a far cry from the family unit business type structure (with or without an employee or two) yet having large influence on how the smaller operator may or may not survive.

• Like 1
On 20/08/2018 at 8:46 AM, nikki watts said:

The deca can be held by the individual beek or by the company itself. If it’s the companies deca then as long as the staff follow the agreement they’re complying. 

I agree, but it is possible to be a reasonably good beekeeper, and have very little in the way of staff training skills. Because of the too big too fast syndrome, suddenly they are training staff to do AFB inspections , whereas hobby beeks with a couple of hives give up a day and $100 to do the course with a trained tutor - usually an AP 2 - ask yourself which group are likely to get the best training. One of the rapidly gowing locals got two staff to do a whole lot of splits - and because of poor training - inspite of many years experience didn't recognise AFB in the mother hives, and they were spread around sites as rentals, often near owner managed hives - bonfires all around! Surely fulltime staff should have DECA's after say a year of experience.

• Agree 1