Jump to content
Daley

Watch what you say.

RISK OF CLOSURE

Recommended Posts

18 hours ago, Ted said:

What a great idea - I can’t believe no one has thought of this before!!  No more unemployment or crime in NZ - all beneficiaries/inmates trudging through the bush with traps on their backs.  Problem solved.  Yeah Right!!  Another Tui ad me thinks.

that sort of attitude is a real shame. because obviously the alternative to 1080 drops are very labor intense.

i have witnessed first hand how people who had no place in this society have found a meaningful life as trappers. people with more charter than most of us here put together. who's main fault was, that they will not back down. 

also have witnessed how anti 1080 personal in pest control  were replaced by those who suck up to it.

 

i don;t argue that 1080 works.  there might be areas where there is no practicable alternative at this stage.

but even where 1080 is avoidable it is still used.

and 1080 drops, where only a small % even reaches the target, are just criminal.

if it was a "one off" and then we work out how we continue. but this will go on for ever until people stand up.

and the alternative is labor intense.  beneficiaries/inmates are not a different species of human. many have more character and mana than those in the "workforce" and might prove themselves when given a meaningful chance.

 

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Agree 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Alibarba said:

1080 was used on the Jews it was Hilters weapon of choice to wipe a culture.

 

cyanide was the first choice ( i think also their preferred choice to top themselves)

i'm  pro cyanide in pest control. i hope that won't make me a nazi in your eyes?

  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, tom sayn said:

that sort of attitude is a real shame. because obviously the alternative to 1080 drops are very labor intense.

i have witnessed first hand how people who had no place in this society have found a meaningful life as trappers. people with more charter than most of us here put together. who's main fault was, that they will not back down. 

also have witnessed how anti 1080 personal in pest control  were replaced by those who suck up to it.

 

i don;t argue that 1080 works.  there might be areas where there is no practicable alternative at this stage.

but even where 1080 is avoidable it is still used.

and 1080 drops, where only a small % even reaches the target, are just criminal.

if it was a "one off" and then we work out how we continue. but this will go on for ever until people stand up.

and the alternative is labor intense.  beneficiaries/inmates are not a different species of human. many have more character and mana than those in the "workforce" and might prove themselves when given a meaningful chance.

 

 

 

One problem to this theory - they won’t do it!!  They could be out there now making $130kg for possum fur if they wanted to do that but they don’t.  And as has already been pointed out - a lot of the country being poisoned is too rugged and inaccessible to be trapped or poisoned by hand.

  • Disagree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ted said:

One problem to this theory - they won’t do it!!  They could be out there now making $130kg for possum fur if they wanted to do that but they don’t.  And as has already been pointed out - a lot of the country being poisoned is too rugged and inaccessible to be trapped or poisoned by hand. 

what is meaningful about killing possums to make $ of their fur if at the same time the actual control is 1080 and you actually need to "breed " more possums to be more economical?

for those who see making $ as a meaning of life the world is still round. those that see no real value in this have inherited a pear shaped world.

in every society there is always a number of people that won't fit in. how we treat those shows the true hart of a society.

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Bighands said:

Was that after an aerial drop or hand baited?

16 hours ago, nikki watts said:

That’s quite a difference.  If it was a one off I could be convinced. However I still have to question if reinfestation means poison gets used regularly though. 

Tree Fuchsia are deciduous down here in the South, wonder when these shots were taken and what time of the year. 

12 hours ago, Bighands said:

Was that after an aerial drop or hand baited?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, tom sayn said:

what is meaningful about killing possums to make $ of their fur if at the same time the actual control is 1080 and you actually need to "breed " more possums to be more economical?

for those who see making $ as a meaning of life the world is still round. those that see no real value in this have inherited a pear shaped world.

in every society there is always a number of people that won't fit in. how we treat those shows the true hart of a society.

Sorry - you’ve completely lost me there.

  • Agree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Mark K said:

Tree Fuchsia are deciduous down here in the South, wonder when these shots were taken and what time of the year. 

 

Native Tree Fuchsia are semi deciduous in Northland, a scraggy specimen of a tree during the winter months and then mid spring bursts into life with new foliage and flowers.

If a beekeeper sees bees taking purple/blue pollen, this is the source.

 

I,m glad another user on this forum pointed that out.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 20/08/2018 at 8:30 AM, Bighands said:

Once again a true D.O.C F---k up.Take the rats out and Stoats predate on birds asthir preferred food is rats

It's a two edged sword Big Hands ..... you dislike the 1080 but are happy to chase the Rata.  I remember going into the valleys of the coast twenty five years ago and there were swaths of dead trees taken out by the predators. Now it is just red. I know which one I prefer to look at.

  • Agree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Ted said:

One problem to this theory - they won’t do it!!  They could be out there now making $130kg for possum fur if they wanted to do that but they don’t.  And as has already been pointed out - a lot of the country being poisoned is too rugged and inaccessible to be trapped or poisoned by hand.

I think you would be suprised at just how many are out there currently involved in fur recovery. Provided there are good animal numbers good keen kiwi men will hit the hills to make a buck, 130 p/kg would cover helicopter costs.

I sold a few thousand dollars myself this winter but at $120 p/kg, they must be paying more in Tauranga.

 

And at no cost to the tax payer and generating income to the economy.

 

Just for the record i,m not anti 1080, just anti ignorant.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

yep ... we trap possums in the quiet times .... pays for motorbike rebuilds ?

Edited by jamesc

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, yesbut said:

30 years ago when my neighbours trapped a couple of blocks on the coast every winter they were very careful to not take too many animals over the season

so they had a chance to breed up for the year after next. That's why  possum numbers never fell below the damage threshold with skin trapping, the trappers were all farming the things. 

Thats because they were putting in there own costs and time in order to get a return so as the could pay the bills. and  had no inention to apeal to lazy greenies.

Once ther traps caught less than enough possums to be economic time to move to more fertile ground.

Are you prepared to slog around the bush with traps for nothing ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Bee Good said:

I think you would be suprised at just how many are out there currently involved in fur recovery. Provided there are good animal numbers good keen kiwi men will hit the hills to make a buck, 130 p/kg would cover helicopter costs.

I sold a few thousand dollars myself this winter but at $120 p/kg, they must be paying more in Tauranga.

 

And at no cost to the tax payer and generating income to the economy.

 

Just for the record i,m not anti 1080, just anti ignorant.

Not surprised at all - I spend my winters trapping possums because I love doing it and I have done for 30 years.  As you say good keen kiwi men will do it but there is not enough of them and our current crop of beneficiaries and inmates are averse to work of any sort yet alone hard physical work like possum trapping.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As an aside to the 1080 .... we is playing possum with a mob of deer on the boundary lurking in the bush. The other week two sets of beady eyes peeked out at me from across the wire, so I started dropping a bit of crushed barley for them. A couple of days later there were four of them. I went up on the bike last night with more barley ..... Holy heck ..... there were eight hungry mouths come out to say G'day. The question is ...... Deer must communicate with each other, and how many more are out there ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, jamesc said:

yep ... we trap possums in the quiet times .... pays for motorbike rebuilds ?

Good on ya mate

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, yesbut said:

30 years ago when my neighbours trapped a couple of blocks on the coast every winter they were very careful to not take too many animals over the season

so they had a chance to breed up for the year after next. That's why  possum numbers never fell below the damage threshold with skin trapping, the trappers were all farming the things. 

100% agree!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, jamesc said:

As an aside to the 1080 .... we is playing possum with a mob of deer on the boundary lurking in the bush. The other week two sets of beady eyes peeked out at me from across the wire, so I started dropping a bit of crushed barley for them. A couple of days later there were four of them. I went up on the bike last night with more barley ..... Holy heck ..... there were eight hungry mouths come out to say G'day. The question is ...... Deer must communicate with each other, and how many more are out there ?

Play your cards right there will be eight less soon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Bee Good said:

Play your cards right there will be eight less soon

 

9 minutes ago, Bee Good said:

Play your cards right there will be eight less soon

Ah no ..... I'm a lover not a fighter ... I need those ladies as we had a yosinia outbreak in the weaners a month or so ago.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, yesbut said:

30 years ago when my neighbours trapped a couple of blocks on the coast every winter they were very careful to not take too many animals over the season

so they had a chance to breed up for the year after next. That's why  possum numbers never fell below the damage threshold with skin trapping, the trappers were all farming the things. 

 

That's exactly my own experience back in mid 70's worked part time with a full time possum hunter, back then they were so plentiful in some places we just spotlighted in the bush and shot them with a 22. He only shot anything close enough to get a perfect head shot, and therefore a good skin. Anything difficult for the perfect head shot was left, as breeding stock, and he made sure to leave what he considered enough.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Bee Good said:

Are you prepared to slog around the bush with traps for nothing ?

That's exactly the point. Commercial trapping as an effective means of control doesn't work. Because no effort is made to get them all. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Alastair said:

 

That's exactly my own experience back in mid 70's worked part time with a full time possum hunter, back then they were so plentiful in some places we just spotlighted in the bush and shot them with a 22. He only shot anything close enough to get a perfect head shot, and therefore a good skin. Anything difficult for the perfect head shot was left, as breeding stock, and he made sure to leave what he considered enough.

A hole through the head dos,nt devalue a pelt, but hole through the body makes it worthless.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Bee Good said:

Never heard of yosinia before, ??

Yersinia. It’s a bacteria. Causes yersiniosis . Very infectious .  

  • Good Info 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Bee Good said:

Play your cards right there will be eight less soon

 

25 minutes ago, Ted said:

Not surprised at all - I spend my winters trapping possums because I love doing it and I have done for 30 years.  As you say good keen kiwi men will do it but there is not enough of them and our current crop of beneficiaries and inmates are averse to work of any sort yet alone hard physical work like possum trapping.

Perhaps we are the cause of the current crop of useless young adults.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Russ said:

 

Perhaps we are the cause of the current crop of useless young adults.

 

I got a couple of useful young adults ... they can rebuild a two stroke dirt bike bike motor .... the youngest third young adult told me as he snuggled up into bed last night that he wants to be famous ! I said, well mate , you're world famous up this end of the gully, so that's a good start.

Edited by jamesc
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Be advised that this topic is currently being actively monitored by moderators and it may be locked at any time.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...