Daley

Watch what you say.

RISK OF CLOSURE

The only place I have seen a kiwi is Stewart Island in the middle of the day.No your grand children will not see them as D.O.C. seem to be killing them all as happened in Stewart Island.The cost to us tax paters fot the last drop in Wanaka area was $100.00/ha.This was the physical cost it does not include accomodation wages wtc of the hangers on.Now a trapper could do this for a lot less and make money out of it.I think the international community will make n.z. aerially dropping 1080.I am not against hand laid 1080 baits but I am deadfly oppose to aerial spread of 1080.

• Agree 1

Me and some of my doc friends quietly give thainks for TB . 

If it did not exist here our area would certainly not be free of possums.

Even with the 1080 there was the ground control program I was active in.

West coast Bush is difficult country to move around in .

I trapped possums commercially in the 70s in east coast beech forests and it was much easier to move around .

Between the end of the collapse of the price of fur and the beginning of 1080 and serious TB control there was very little keeping the possum numbers down other than recreational spot lighters , cannabis growers , farmers and lifestyle block owners.

They were not enough and possums reached plague proportions .

• Like 2

But D.O.C. do not do a monitor before or after a drop.They are going to drop in the headwaters of the Rakaia and Wiberforce.Thet would not even know how many opossums there.

2 minutes ago, dansar said:

Trapping lines and poisoning are all great and has been done. Problem is there are many (most) parts of our forests that are completely inaccessible on foot due to the impossible terrain, density of vines and undergrowth. Even helicopter access doesn’t help because there’s no where to set down. 1080 does a good job. And suggesting that hunting more intensively will do a better job is quoted by ignorant individuals.

Are there areas in the north island that have impenetrable supple Jack , Kie Kie, understory. 

17 hours ago, tristan said:

brodaficoum can be used for possums. i think its quite bad for secondary poisoning. 

but i think 1080 kills deer a lot better, especially with the deer sized baits they use and there is no deer on the barrier ;) 

There’s no possums either. The target is rats here. We get told it breaks down fast too and has very little secondary kill. Yet it’s been found in the livers of wild pigs they tested here. 

4 minutes ago, nikki watts said:

There’s no possums either. The target is rats here. We get told it breaks down fast too and has very little secondary kill. Yet it’s been found in the livers of wild pigs they tested here. 

Once again a true D.O.C F---k up.Take the rats out and Stoats predate on birds asthir preferred food is rats

1 minute ago, Bighands said:

Once again a true D.O.C F---k up.Take the rats out and Stoats predate on birds asthir preferred food is rats

No stoats or weasels either. Wild cats are probably the apex predator here. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Alastair said:

537816371_Ratabefore1080.JPG.71174a40d104d6447e0716700d25235b.JPG

What a rata forest looks like before 1080

1798862225_rataafter1080.JPG.d05d83ffa4de3781c9a30e3797eb4434.JPG

Rata forest recovering 4 years after 1080

People who object to 1080 don't care about their whenua.

Is that a photo of the same section of bush ??? 

12 minutes ago, kaihoka said:

Are there areas in the north island that have impenetrable supple Jack , Kie Kie, understory. 

As an ex Auckland SAR I can say most certainly.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, David Yanke said:

'85% of the world's 1080', a meaningless statistic only thrown around  for shock value and to damage NZ's environmental reputation.  New Zealand has a very unique environment, and it is under grave threat from introduced mammals. Unlike virtually any other place on earth, NZ ecosystems evolved mammal free(except for the odd bat), when humans introduced themselves and other mammalian pests, they unleashed an environmental apocalypse. We have realised the error of our ways, and we are trying to turn things around.  Because our natural environment has no native mammals, and because all the pests that are out of control are mammals, the use of aerial 1080 becomes an option that can only be used in NZ because of its' unique situation.  So maybe the 85% of the world's 1080 stat may be right, but it comes off a small base.  1080 isn't  used for the fun of it, it is only used in desperation to try and save what we have left, and try to hold on until we have more tools in our pest control toolbox.

But what about when the pest mammals come back ??? More poisoning ???? I could see the  value in broadcast poison of it was a one off to clear and area and the area could stay mammal free but even when we have rat proof fencing they’ve still got back in. You just end up with a huge cycle of poisoning and recovery. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

This is one of those pointless merrygoround threads that I'm surprised took so many years to arrive. 

• Agree 3
  • Haha 3

35 minutes ago, nikki watts said:

Is that a photo of the same section of bush ??? 

Do not think about dropping of chemicals when Mirtle Rust takes over we will have nothing.

8 minutes ago, Bighands said:

Do not think about dropping of chemicals when Mirtle Rust takes over we will have nothing.

Is myrtle rust spreading ?? Doesn’t it need a specific environment to grow ?? Since they gave up eradication I haven’t heard anything about it. 

It's just been found down the valley from me last week.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, yesbut said:

It's just been found down the valley from me last week.

What sort of  plant was it on 

2 hours ago, Bighands said:

The stoats have eaten all the rats here .

They have started on my chooks .

6 minutes ago, black bee said:

@kaihoka do you try trap these stoats?

I am going to re borrow a stoat trap .

I have never had any luck trapping stoats.

Very recently our dog passed away and we are living here for the first time without a dog .

Any advice on the best trap to buy and best bait is greatly appreciated .

32 minutes ago, kaihoka said:

What sort of  plant was it on 

Pohutukawa. 

55 minutes ago, kaihoka said:

I am going to re borrow a stoat trap .

I have never had any luck trapping stoats.

Very recently our dog passed away and we are living here for the first time without a dog .

We used to catch them quite often, in a tunnel box with a trap each end and an egg in the middle.

my cat got one once, muck around with that cat

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Alastair said:

I said hear one.

Just for your info Daley, back when i was in your home town Gisborne, you could hear Kiwi calls at night, and that was in town, although the Kiwis were not in town but they could be heard. 

I rather suspect this will not be the case now, that was late 70's early 80's.

About what people may think in 50 years. Back then, 40'ish years ago, lying awake and listening to Kiwi calls, I did wonder how long it would last and suspected not too long. Out there was full of predatores. Maybe I am the kid Russ is talking about, 40 years ago. Back then I had a bad feeling for the last few Kiwi, and was wishing something could be done, or someone even cared, nobody seemed to. 40 years on, what do I think of 1080? Answer, I wish it had been used more.

You can hear them at Motu still. I’ve seen a wild one in the Pakihi too

• Good Info 1

1 hour ago, yesbut said:

Pohutukawa. 

Nothing on rata yet .

Am optimistic about the rata here not being too badly affected .

2 hours ago, kaihoka said:

These traps are said to be the best - get the DOC 200 version:

http://www.cmisprings.com/predatortraps.html

Box design (but you can buy them, trap included, all ready to go):

https://www.doc.govt.nz/documents/conservation/threats-and-impacts/animal-pests/doc200-predator-trap.pdf

Bait (the advert says they last for three weeks but I find they can last up to five weeks - give them a buffing up to freshen them when they start to look stale):

https://www.traps.co.nz/mustilid-cat-bait-approx-100-per-kg

But you could try raw or dried meat - especially rabbit - the mustelids may go for these. We've not tried these.

I don't work for the two above companies but I am a volunteer at a wetland restoration project. In fact, yesterday it was my turn to check a trap line - two large ship rats were caught.

• Thanks 2

6 hours ago, kaihoka said:

Yep, go for a wander in the Kaimai ranges one day.

• Like 1

Be advised that this topic is currently being actively monitored by moderators and it may be locked at any time.