john berry

I am home

We have been over in Norway visiting family but I also managed to nip over to England and visit two beekeeping friends. Saw all sorts of beehives including WBC and National. WBC hives are fairly impractical but they sure looked pretty. Honey prices for locally produced honey were roughly around $20 per kilo retail. My hobbyist friend had mostly black British type bees and while they weren't unworkable you definitely needed veil and gloves. The commercial beekeeper I spent two days with users Buckfast queens from Denmark and they were superb both in productivity and temperament with it being quite possible to take honey off without a veil. Best honey tasted on the trip was yellow sweet clover from the Salisbury Plains, different from anything I've ever tried before and absolutely delectable.
Looks like of come back to a bit of a bunfight with all as talk of new levies.

• Like 14

Thats great John

Did you learn or experience anything relating to Varroa?

Welcome home, always interesting to hear whats happening in other beekeeping areas of the world.

• Agree 1

The beekeepers I was with treated varoa pretty conventionally so nothing new on that front. I did hear from Bayer while I was overseas that they could find no evidence of resistance to bayvarol and that the strips I was using were up to speck. I see in the beekeeper a full page ad saying the same thing which is all very well but mine weren't the only ones in this area that the strips didn't work on. When I realised I had a problem I did some proper testing and all my test results indicated that it no longer worked. I guess it depends on whether you believe in computer modelling or real-life.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Welcome home! 

1 hour ago, john berry said:

The beekeepers I was with treated varoa pretty conventionally so nothing new on that front. I did hear from Bayer while I was overseas that they could find no evidence of resistance to bayvarol and that the strips I was using were up to speck. I see in the beekeeper a full page ad saying the same thing which is all very well but mine weren't the only ones in this area that the strips didn't work on. When I realised I had a problem I did some proper testing and all my test results indicated that it no longer worked. I guess it depends on whether you believe in computer modelling or real-life.

Do you think varroa resistance to synthetic treatments is inevitable .

Or do you think with  an appropriate treatment regime and responsible behaviour it could be postponed .

Bayvarol still is very effective in my hives.

Hey @john berry I’ll bet you had a good time, experience some of that good English summer!

I’ll bet your grandson loved his blocks!

It has got a little interesting on the APINZ front allright, enough to give most people a headache I think.